FAQ: How to Pass a Drug Test

Dunlap

Passing Your Urinalysis

Disclaimer: For all intents and purposes this information is for pre-employment urine tests only. Not hair or Saliva tests (both of which are quite rare), and not law enforcement related tests where they may watch you provide the specimen.

Urinalysis Basics
When THC enters your body, regardless of how you consume it, it deposits metabolites in your fat cells which are slowly released and removed from your system. A Urinalysis tests for those metabolites in your urine. They usually require 50-60mL (1.5 – 2 Fl. Oz.) of urine, and will run it through a number of tests to confirm the presence of metabolites, as well as check the validity of the sample. Dipstick tests, GC/MA, HPLC, Immunoassay and Specific Gravity tests are all common. All tests have a minimum cut-off, usually 50 ng/mL, any amount above that will return a positive result. This is important to note, because you do not have to be 100% clean to pass, just get under that amount.

Methods of Beating the Test

-Natural Detoxification (over time)
-Dilution
-Quick-Detox Products
-Synthetics/Substitution

The Natural Method

So you’re about to start looking for a job and you suspect many of your prospective employers will require a drug test. If you have the time, the best way to guarantee a negative result is to just stop smoking. Marijuana metabolites will naturally flush from your system over time. The amount of time varies wildly from person to person, depending on weight, metabolism, activity level, and other factors. The frequency of use also dramatically increased detection times. Because of that, I am not going to try and make any specific predictions on how long it will take for you to get clean; if you think you’re pushing it, see below regarding dilution.

For a person of average weight allow 1-3 days for a single use (bowl or 2 with friends some night, NOT an all-night smokathon) -- For “regular” use, including daily use, 5-10 days -- For Chronic use, meaning multiple times per day, every day, 15-20 days.

For heavier, less-active people those numbers rise quite rapidly, up to 1-2 months for a chronic user. Smaller people will also burn it off faster.

Getting Clean Faster

As I said, metabolites are stored in your fat cells, and they’re burned off with the fat cells. That means the higher your metabolism, the faster you’re releasing those metabolites. Exercising is the best way to accelerate that process. Going for a walk or run once a day will considerably help you to get clean faster. Sometimes being less active in the days before your test will actually help you pass, as you won’t be burning off fat and releasing as many metabolites. (You’ll still be burning off some, but remember, you don’t need to be completely clean.)

Also remember to stay hydrated. Don’t drink a lot of sodas or other caffeinated or alcoholic beverages. They will dry you out, and you need to have fluids in your system to flush the metabolites. Fruit juices and teas can be helpful as well.

If you’re planning to just, “wait it out”, I recommend investing in some at-home, dipstick style, drug screens. You can use them to either make sure you’re clean before you go in, or to use ahead of time to gauge how long it takes you personally to get clean. They can also be useful if you’re planning to dilute.

Dilution

Dilution is probably the most common way to ‘cheat’ a drug test. Simply put, you drink a bunch of water and dilute the hell out of your urine. It works like this; say the cutoff for the test is 50 ng/mL, and you’re currently testing at 75 ng/mL (there is no way for you to know exactly where you are, I’m just using these as an example), normally you’d fail. But if you’re pushing twice as much water through your system, suddenly you’re down to 35-40 ng/mL, and you pass. It’s just that easy… or is it?

The exact amount of water you need to drink varies. Don’t go overboard and drink gallon upon gallon of water an hour before your test, as you can develop Water Poisoning if you drink too much. Drinking around 8 glasses the morning before you go in should be enough, but a general rule of thumb is to drink until you’re pissing clear (and running to the bathroom pretty frequently), and maintaining that level by continuing to steadily drinking water right up till you go in the door of the testing facility.

There really is no need to drink enormous amounts of water for the days prior to your test. Since the water you drink that far in advance is already well out of your system by the time you actually go in, it really won’t be much to help you. Just drinking your normal 8 glasses a day should be plenty.

Not Getting Caught

Urine that has been diluted heavily will be visibly paler than normal, which is suspicious, and may be tested for Specific Gravity to check the levels of other common components of human urine and determine if it has been diluted. The easiest way to combat this is to take B vitamins (B2 (Riboflavin) and B12 are considered the best), which will bring the color back to your pee. Try to take between 50 and 100 milligrams the morning before you go in. You can also buy creatine (Red meat is a very good source as well), because some testing facilities do specific gravity tests on all samples, regardless of color. Start eating more red meat or taking your creatine pills a few days in advance of the test, 3-4 days or so, if you have enough notice. If you don't have that much notice, look for a product containing Creatine Monohydrate, which processes through the body faster than naturally acquired creatine.

As I mentioned above, the at-home tests can be useful when you’re diluting, because you can test yourself as you’re getting ready and know when you’re good. It beats the hell out of drinking a gallon of water and still wondering if it was enough.

Detox Drinks

Detox drinks are a little mysterious. It’s unclear exactly how most of them work, but they do. I personally suspect that many of them are merely B vitamins and creatine in a drink and the instructions have you drink a bunch of water with it, making it basically fancy dilution. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, as it’s probably easier than going out and buying those things separately. Some of them that I have heard of do seem to work in some other way. For example, 420 Body Clean: Advanced Rapid Cleanser, works in 1-2 hours with only the drink and 20oz of water. Also the Stay Clean system works in a similar fashion.

Some things to consider when you’re looking into a product:
-Who’s offering the biggest Money-Back Guarantee on their product?
-What products have your friends had first-hand experience using with good results? Don’t take the word of a friend of a friend of a friend.
-What kind of a time table will you have around the test? Most drinks take about an hour to kick in, and only last for a few hours after that. If you’re going to be drinking the bottle on the way to the lab, you’ll want to make sure it’s designed to work that quickly.

While the drinks do seem to work for most people on most occasions, I would be hesitant to put my trust in one if I was a very heavy smoker, or an overweight person, or both. On the flipside, if you’re skinny and very active, who hasn’t smoked in a couple of days, these are probably a waste of money. You could probably drink enough water to pass without even throwing off your creatine levels.

Substitution/Synthetics

The fourth and final method I will discuss is the method I myself trust. In a nutshell, you’ll be smuggling in a small container of liquid which you will empty into the cup in place of your actual urine. Some people just get a [clean] friend’s urine, and some people buy a synthetic product that tests as urine. I have never heard of a synthetic failing a test. Some come in powders, some are pre-mixed, some even come with prosthetic penises in case someone is watching. But they all work about the same.

Making The Switch

There are really only 2 tasks to accomplish when substituting. The first is getting it in, and the second is keeping it at body temperature. Most labs have temperature strips on the sides of the cup and they note the temperature of the sample when you hand it over. Too low or too high, and you’re in trouble. Luckily, both tasks are handled by simply securing the container to your leg, preferably under your scrotum, if you’re a man. It’s completely unnoticeable through your clothing, and your body will keep it close enough to body temperature to not raise any eyebrows. Beware of tape, rubber bands, etc. that may make noise when you remove them. Also look out for containers that may make an audible noise when opened or closed, as often the lab worker will be standing directly outside the door listening for just that type of thing.

If you’re using your own container, make sure it is CLEAN. Any residue inside that could throw off the pH or add other substances to the sample could register as an adulterant on the test. Be aware of any medications that whoever is providing the sample may be on. It’s a bummer to get a friend’s piss just to fail because he’s taking Vicodin, for example.

I, myself, use a product called Quick Fix, pre-mixed synthetic urine that comes in a little bottle, it comes with a heating pad and rubber band so you can keep it at temp without having it tucked away between your legs. Hasn’t failed me yet, and until it does (or gets banned, which it is in a handful of states already), I’m going to stick by it.

What Doesn’t Work

Niacin – While it is a B vitamin, and it might be a good thing to take small amounts of normally, contrary to popular belief, that itching/burning feeling you get when you take half a bottle is not the metabolites getting forced out of your system.

Bleach, Vinegar, Visine, Salt, or Any Other Additives – Some of these may cover the metabolites in your urine, but they will also throw off the pH test and return an unfavorable result.

Golden Seal Tea – This does work, however many labs are testing for It now and will report your using it to your employer.

Adding Water From the Faucet or Toilet of the Facility – Aside from the fact that you’re picking up a bunch of chlorine and other chemicals, and throwing off the pH, and destroying your creatine levels, and lowering the temperature way too low; most places listen for the faucet and color the toilet water blue. Do not expect to be able to do something like this.

Claiming you took Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Aleve, or Any Other False-Positive-Inducing Product – Modern tests can tell the difference between just about anything and THC metabolites. I wouldn’t expect this type of excuse to pass.

Smoking Your Brains Out Before You Go In – I actually had one person tell me that tests have a upper cutoff point, and that if you smoked a ton the night before and morning of your test, you would actually test off the chart and return a negative result. I strongly discourage anyone from attempting this method.

Final Thoughts

Knowing what you’re going to do when the situation arises is priceless. Take the time now to figure out how long it takes you to get clean naturally, or see how well a detox product works, or see how much you’d have to actually drink to register as clean. Buy some of those dipstick tests, you get 10 for $20 on Ebay, and figure out what you’re going to do so there is no question of if it will work when it actually happens. I know that if I stop smoking right now, it will take me about a month to get clean on my own, I can drink myself clean pretty easily a couple days ahead of time, and I have a bottle of Quick Fix in my closet in case I don’t have the notice. No running around trying to figure out what works, no wondering how much water it’ll actually take. Knowing ahead of time what your plan of attack will be removes a lot of the stress of having to pass a drug test.

All of the products mentioned in this article are available through 420 Sponsors.
www.passyourtest.com

All carry a variety of drinks, synthetics, at-home tests, and some other hair and saliva products as well.

I’d like to thank HAHA420, JimmyBong, StonerGrower4, smokin.moose, Tiger Bass, _qWERTY and Tinkerbell420 for their valuable contributions to this article. Other sources include:
Wikipedia – “Drug Tests”
Thanks for reading, I truly hope everyone who needed to know something now knows it.

This topic will remain open for questions/comments/suggestions/additions/retractions/whatever for a brief time.

Can you provide more insight on the levels of B-vitamins and creatine that you must take before test? Like how many hours, days before the test and how much to take. Thanks.

If THC is stored in your fat cells and is slowly released threw pissing what if you were to take a water pill before taking the test & drinking alot of water before the test and pissing several times before the test is it possible to piss clean useing this method useing something like furosemide to preflush your system

devin828

Can you provide more insight on the levels of B-vitamins and creatine that you must take before test? Like how many hours, days before the test and how much to take. Thanks.

Good question. From everything I can find, you'll want to take your B's and Creatine together, in 2 or 3 evenly spaced doses. Start at least an hour before you're going for the test. Take about 800mg of Creatine (Creatine Monohydrate) and about 15 minutes later, take 800 more. It's hard to get too much B vitamins, aim for around 10-15mg of B2 (Riboflavin) each dose and you should be fine.

If THC is stored in your fat cells and is slowly released threw pissing what if you were to take a water pill before taking the test & drinking alot of water before the test and pissing several times before the test is it possible to piss clean useing this method useing something like furosemide to preflush your system

Sorry man, my knowledge of pharmicuticals is a little lacking, I don't really know what water pills are or how they work. If you're just going to take the pill and drunk a bunch of water anyways, I'd say skip the pill and just use the water. I like to avoid other, especially unneeded, drugs whenever I can.

Good question. From everything I can find, you'll want to take your B's and Creatine together, in 2 or 3 evenly spaced doses. Start at least an hour before you're going for the test. Take about 800mg of Creatine (Creatine Monohydrate) and about 15 minutes later, take 800 more. It's hard to get too much B vitamins, aim for around 10-15mg of B2 (Riboflavin) each dose and you should be fine.

Not to blatantly call you out, but I found some information between the time I asked and when you posted. It said you should start taking the creatine at a minimum of two days before the test and consistently because it takes the body a while to start processing the creatine.

Ok, this is my current situation. I smoked very infrequently (once a week) then quit for a month. After I thought I wasn't going to get the interview, I indulged on about .25-.5g on some mids. Well, 1-2 weeks later after I smoked, I get a notice from the place that I still have a chance to get a job. I know for a fact that I have about a week to respond to them and I figure I will respond to them late this friday so the soonest they could get back to me is monday. This would give me about a week longer to let it pass through my system and prepare for the screen. My only problem is that I'm a pretty big guy (210 lbs, 5'9") and decently inactive lately since school just let out.

Water pills make the body piss more than normal I figure if your body is pissing more than normal then when it comes time to piss it would be weak with THC

devin828

Not to blatantly call you out, but I found some information between the time I asked and when you posted. It said you should start taking the creatine at a minimum of two days before the test and consistently because it takes the body a while to start processing the creatine.

Feel free to call me out man, I'm not always right, and I'd rather be corrected than not know. :cheesygrinsmiley: I have found some stuff supporting that idea, that you should start it a few days in advance. The info I found was geared towards a situation with less notice. Probably better safe than sorry if you have enough notice to take it that far in advance. Thanks for the info :)

Water pills make the body piss more than normal I figure if your body is pissing more than normal then when it comes time to piss it would be weak with THC

To be honest with you man, I really don't know. I've never tried messing around with that type of thing. If it's just a diuretic, Caffeine is also one, might be an easier, cheaper, and safer thing to try than a prescription. Diuretics tend to dry you out though, so if you're going to try it, makes sure to drink more water than normal. If you ever try it out, be sure to let us know how it turns out.

:allgood:

Ok, this is my current situation. I smoked very infrequently (once a week) then quit for a month. After I thought I wasn't going to get the interview, I indulged on about .25-.5g on some mids. Well, 1-2 weeks later after I smoked, I get a notice from the place that I still have a chance to get a job. I know for a fact that I have about a week to respond to them and I figure I will respond to them late this friday so the soonest they could get back to me is monday. This would give me about a week longer to let it pass through my system and prepare for the screen. My only problem is that I'm a pretty big guy (210 lbs, 5'9") and decently inactive lately since school just let out.

Given that you were never really a daily smoker, a month should have been plenty of time for you to get clean. Your 1/2 gram indulgence is probably already out of your system, or definitely will be in another week. If you're still worried, just drink a couple extra glasses of water before you go in (I usually do anyways, I cannot piss on cue), wouldn't even have to worry about color or creatine or anything.

Yeah, I decided to waste $20 early this morning and take a home test. I did just fine so I'm not worried any more. I suppose thats better than wasting twice as much on creatine and vitamins.

You should of mentioned that even dilution may sway you to fail. All labs test your creatine levels to make sure you did not dilute yourself. creatine is stored in just about everything in your body, and when you drink tons of water to dilute yourself your creatine levels drop below normal and they know youve diluted yourself.

Some great info in this thread. . I'm especially glad to see no one has suggested drinking 2 gallons of water a day either. . lol these tests are getting more and more complicated to fool. . gonna have to get some clean friends. . lol :peace:

great thread, with some great info.

i have given some of my thoughts to Dunlap on my experiences. he took it and did a great job with the info.

i know cretin is used to determine your urine dilution. my husband failed a test because his urine was DILUTED. the DR told him his cretin levels were low, so to pass the next jobs test he began taking cretin. HE PASSED. he bought a bottle of it and took it everyday along with water.
when it was my turn i took cretin and other b12 vitamins and have passed two tests sucessfully!! all this while smoking THE NIGHT BEFORE THE TEST!!

great job on the sticky dunlap!

Nice work you guys! :cheesygrinsmiley::peace:

Smoking Your Brains Out Before You Go In — I actually had one person tell me that tests have a upper cutoff point, and that if you smoked a ton the night before and morning of your test, you would actually test off the chart and return a negative result. I strongly discourage anyone from attempting this method.

The upper cut-out point is 50,000 nano-grams...i smoke an ounce and tested positive with 945 nanograms. So you would have to smoke close to 3 pounds in order to pass the upper cut-off point.

The upper cut-out point is 50,000 nano-grams...i smoke an ounce and tested positive with 945 nanograms. So you would have to smoke close to 3 pounds in order to pass the upper cut-off point.

:rofl: Thanks for the info, bro. Good shit.

I have good news Dunlap!!! Well after experimenting and what not i have come up with instructions on how to make dhydrated urine. You will have to be clean before making it in order for it to work.

Thus goes as follows.

Take a piss in a cup.
Put it in the shade and let it dehydrate.
When all the liquid evaporates there will be a residue like substance left.
scrape it out the cup and add water at time of test. DO NOT ADD MORE THAN 60 (some kind of measurement name that im too sober to remember right now.) of water.

This is a proven method i have been tinkering around with for awhile...just not has it been put into use when my fellow marijuana user and associate got injured on the job and had to take a drug test.

That is very cool. Do you start with 60mL initially? 'cause if you started with more than 60, wouldn't it end up way over concentrated? Also what's the residue like? Like a powder, or more of a paste? Great info though, I love experiments like this :)

Back
Top Bottom