Vacuum Sealer

Re: Vacum Sealer

I got one from Costco a long time ago. I have never had enough for a key, but for small ammounts, so far it has worked fine. As the plastic for the container comes in a roll, I think that there will be no problem. After sealing, I store it in a cool, dark, place. After 2 years, the product seemed fine--just fine.

You can buy a food sealer at Wal-mart. I have used mine to seal up fresh herbs from my garden and they keep fresh for a looooong time.
But you may want to look into something larger for Kg. size bags.

There are two basic functions as stated in the name- vacuum and sealing. Some may operate automatically and seal after sucking all the air out. With mine I press the 'seal' button whenever I desire. If possible- Just to easy on the 'vacuum' part if the process or you're going to have a tiny little compressed cake of bud on your hands.

I meant to say ' go easy on the vacuum part of the process', in case you didn't get that. :) Unless you're trying to save space in which case you can vacuum the crap out of it but like I said it's going to be a hard cake of bud afterwards. The sealers come in different widths so you may want a wide one. Also the bags come either as precut bags with one end sealed, or you can buy rolls that are open ended. Like a long flat tube - just cut at whatever length you want and seal both ends.

Some will vacuum seal mason/bell jars which I think would be ideal for longer term storage. One day I hope to be in a position to test this, drop in a boveda pack after a proper dry and cure.

If you can put the buds in bottles with holes in the lids, or no lids you can vacuum seal without crushing the buds. I used to do it while travelling. I used film canisters with holes punched in them. I have not tried it on an airline since they put Barney Fife on every suitcase.

Some will vacuum seal mason/bell jars which I think would be ideal for longer term storage. One day I hope to be in a position to test this, drop in a boveda pack after a proper dry and cure.

The thing about plastic vacuum bags is even if you can't see it they are porous and can take ahold of your trichomes and they will stick to the bags. Real hard to get them back from plastic. Now Glass isn't as porous so it is easier to retrieve all of what you put in the jar.
Now you can get that goodness back by soaking in alcohol or some kind of fat like oil or butter.
Not so easy with plastic.
formerly(fish cake):grinjoint:

The thing about plastic vacuum bags is even if you can't see it they are porous and can take ahold of your trichomes and they will stick to the bags. Real hard to get them back from plastic. Now Glass isn't as porous so it is easier to retrieve all of what you put in the jar.
Now you can get that goodness back by soaking in alcohol or some kind of fat like oil or butter.
Not so easy with plastic.
formerly(fish cake):grinjoint:

Well that's definitely good to know that you can keep them as fresh as the day you put them in, I guess now I can go stockpile much easier without too much of a worry of it going bad as quickly!

i like the vac sealer for transport. just like some said, i stop the vac at a point then seal. but i double bag. i have the bag i put weight into then it goes into a sealer bag for odor alone. usually i just do oz's.

hehehe the first time....woops..i had a brick of buddage. 1 lb down to about the size of a couple zips, lmao. never again...it was funny tho.

have fun eh

I now have the jar sealer accessory. It works great. The wide mouth one is the one to get. I bought an oz of shake and put it in a jar with a boveda and in a few weeks it smelled top shelf.
When I buy flowers I buy from a commercial grower, and it has little aroma when I get it, but a couple weeks in the vacuumed jar and it's killer.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I get these polycarbonate watertight boxes
They are for camping. You can basically snap these things shut bury them and come back 10 years later.. The "large" will fit hp of a heavy indica or a qp of a fluffier strain.
Outdoor Products Watertight Box : Boating Dry Bags
1666637188834.png

If you search around they have different sizes I think I have like 15 all together they are great for long car rides.

Sent from my LG-H820 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

There are two basic functions as stated in the name- vacuum and sealing. Some may operate automatically and seal after sucking all the air out. With mine I press the 'seal' button whenever I desire. If possible- Just to easy on the 'vacuum' part if the process or you're going to have a tiny little compressed cake of bud on your hands.

Glad to see you and AK on here, Weasel.
I started vacsealing the best of my buds ages ago, but have been having second thoughts...
I was looking at LONG TERM storage, and I went the vac route for that. Glass is too bulky and expensive for me with nowhere to put it out of sight, esp. if I end up with a couple pounds after a year or 2... (that's the hope, anyway!!).
I also put mine in the freezer. I opened a couple up the other week, after the packets had been in the freezer for a good 6 months. I let them sit at room temp for a few days before I opened them, and I open and let sit to thaw completely before I handle the gear to make sure all condensation has evaporated and trichs won't shatter. I found no noticeable reduction in smell or quality; if anything, I found the smell to better, at least on that first whiff when the packet is opened.. Also found that there are bugger-all trichs stuck to the plastic; maybe a couple. No biggie.
And yes; it's a bit compressed.. That's also no biggie to me. Gotta be ground/chopped up anyway. And a compressed nug is ALWAYS surprisingly impressive when you chop it up the way it fluffs out! Some of my Scotts OG ones were rock hard to start with; after vacuum-compression, they were so dense they were difficult to break up, and they chopped up into a pile that seemed like triple or more what it shoulda been!
Think I'll stick to sealing/freezing for now.

Speak of the Devil, and he shall appear...

This is an excerpt from this page I just found..
An Advanced Study - Maturation and Harvesting of Cannabis
Storage

Cannabis floral clusters are best stored in a cool, dark place. Refrigeration will retard the breakdown of cannabinoids, but freezing has adverse effects. Freezing forces moisture to the surface from the inside of the floral tissues and this may harm the resins secreted on the surface.

So maybe I pull it all outta the freezer after all...find a nice big container. Still gotta find a spot to put it...
First world problems...

And thanks, Medical Marijuana, for this interesting article.
He's an Aussie, too!

Back
Top Bottom