InhaledFreq 1st documented grow (2nd actual grow) Popcorn bagseed Indoor closet cfl's

InhaledFreq

Hello! Thanks for following my first documented grow! :smokin:

I have a few pics from my first real grow, I'll show them in the next post.

Info about this grow
-------------------

Strain: bagseed "Popcorn" from Dallas (mids)
Looks to be 100% Indica, or at least Indica Dominate
20 seedlings in Veg for 3 weeks, 1 adult plant in veg LST (planted on 4/20),
1 adult plant flowering for less than a week LST (also planted 4/20)
Indoor
Soil
Grow Medium: Seed Starting Jiffy Mix (seedlings), Seed Starting Jiffy Mix w/ ~20% extra perlite (the 2 adults)
Container size: starting trays (seedlings) 1 quart containers (the 2 adults)
Lights: (4) 4' fluorescent tubes (2) cool white, (2) warm white (seedlings), (4-6) CFL's 2700k 23w-40w (adults)
Room temp: 76-78 degrees F
RH of Room: flying blind
PH of media: flying blind
Pests: None
How often are you watering? every 2-3 days (seedlings), when the containers are light (adults)
Type and strength of ferts used: Schultz Plant Food 10-15-10 w/ micro nutes

This is a covert closet grow for security reasons. Grow room is in mid-construction (pics to follow)

These are really two grows in one. I started 2 plants on 4/20 and they are big enough to flower now. I started 20 seedlings 3 weeks ago and they are vegging with my in my regular garden room (where I start food and herb crops for my outdoor garden). All these plants will be moved into the new grow room within the next few days.

The 2 adults were started indoors, I LST'd them and then moved them outside. I brought them in at night so their light cycles have been pretty erratic. They are now temporarily in my old closet setup because the heat outside this week is above the 100 degree F mark. And yes, they will finish out the flower cycle in a secure indoor grow closet.

The thing that puzzles me about the flowering adult is that I did not do anything to force it to flower (at least not intentionally). I don't think it's an auto-flower variety because it was alive for 75 days before it started flowering. I'm thinking it may just be a really photosensitive strain and I triggered flowering by moving it in and out of the house at irregular intervals (perhaps I gave it 12+ dark for a few days in a row without realizing). The other thing I don't understand, is that the other adult has not flowered (unless it's a male and I just can't see yet). Both plants have been exposed to the exact same lighting conditions and they came from the same bag, so fairly sure they're the same strain.
Does anybody have any idea why this girl is flowering? :thanks:

I know, long post... sorry, had to set the stage. I'll post pics today, here in a bit when I have some more free time.

Thanks for reading!
-Inhaled Frequently :smokin:

Re: InhaledFreq 1st documented grow (2nd actual grow) Popcorn bagseed Indoor closet c

High! I'm starting to grow popcorn too! Sounds like you have more experience than I do with it, as I am just now getting to the seedling stage. I'll definitely be following you, and good luck!
Check out my 1 plant stealth grow in my sig

Re: InhaledFreq 1st documented grow (2nd actual grow) Popcorn bagseed Indoor closet c

Wish I could help ya out! I know the first thing people are gonna say is "Post some pictures!" It makes it ten times easier for the pro's to analyze and give their thoughts. Good Luck Yo!!

lol, I was just in the process of uploading and posting pics when you wrote this post. ;)

Here are the first photos...

The two adult plants in their temporary home.
grow-wk3-01.JPG

The adult females newly forming flowers
grow-wk3-02.JPG

The other adult plant's growth tips (sex unknown)
(Note: please ignore the sticky traps in the background, my last grow had fungus gnats due to using unsterilized soil and over-watering... this grow doesn't have gnats)
grow-wk3-03.JPG

Low Stress Training (LST) shot of the female
grow-wk3-04.JPG

leafshot. you know, i think this is an indica dominate hybrid
grow-wk3-05.JPG

the 20 three week old seedlings
grow-wk3-06.JPG

close-up of some of the seedlings
grow-wk3-07.JPG

Did I mention this is a Poor Man's Grow? Well it is. ;)
pics from my first grow and new grow room pics to follow...

High! I'm starting to grow popcorn too! Sounds like you have more experience than I do with it, as I am just now getting to the seedling stage. I'll definitely be following you, and good luck!
Check out my 1 plant stealth grow in my sig

Thanks! I'll be following your grow as well! :smokin:

looking good keep it up

Flowering with CFL's

What kind of light set up are you going to have when you need to flower 20 plants?

I'll be using CFL's, about three or four 2700k bulbs per plant @ minimum 23 watts per bulb, and at least one 6500k clf bulb per shelf (there will be 2 flowering shelves, 1 veg shelf and 1 seedling/clone shelf).

But I won't be flowering all 20.. around 10 will be males, and will be slaughtered. From the approximately 10 female remaining, I'll select the most vigorous 6-7 plants and flower them in 1 week intervals for a perpetual harvest.

It'll probably make a lot more sense when I post the new grow room pics later this evening. :)

perpetual harvest closet grow under cfl lighting

No I get it. Sounds good. Your looking to spend $10 per plant on lighting it seems.

Yeah, $10 per plant or less... over time I'm thinking it will work out to pennies per plant on lighting. Not sure off the top of my head what the average life of a cfl bulb is...1000-2000 hours, maybe, just a guess really?

Here is the perpetual harvest grow closet I'm working on. I've not seen anyone do it quite like this but in theory it sounds good :)

Top shelf (flowering)
newroom01.JPG

Middle Shelf - flowering (btw, the duct does not go into the wall, it's just sitting there)
newroom02.JPG

Seedling/Clone Shelf & Bottom Shelf
newroom03.JPG

still under construction, installing fans today.

Flowering with CFLs

Interesting. Nice use of your tiny closet lol.

Thanks! I can't wait 'till it's packed with flowering ladies!

FYI my CFL's have a 10,000 hour life.

That's good to know. So, 45 days in veg and 52 in flower would be looking at about 1,700 hours of light per harvest... almost six harvest per light. Sounds like literally pennies on lights per plant, nice. That's the next best thing to free. :grinjoint:

First grow pics

Here are a couple of pics from my very first actual grow...

It turns out, I have a lot of pics from that grow from week 5 flowering to cured buds, so I'm going to make a grow journal for that grow as well.

I learned a lot from that grow, mostly what not to do. ;)

I don't know the strand but it was wonderful! Bright sea-green colored buds with more trics than I've ever seen on a bud. Had a kind of fruity, kerosene, hashy flavor, good potent heavy head stone. Flowered in about 7 weeks, though I could have probably let it go for at least another week. I have more of these seeds and will be using them as soon as I get my new grow method down. Anyway, here's the pics...

Plant on the left "Biggie" yielded about 14g dry and the mini plant on the right "Lucy" only 5g dry.
firstgrow-preview01.jpg

Total dried yield, about 19g of excellent smoke.
firstgrow-preview02.jpg

Ok, now back to this grow... :grinjoint:

just finished installing the exhaust fan. $7 4" walmart fan, a piece of 4" dryer hose, part of a gatorade bottle, vacuum cleaner belts, and some lane-marking tape (like they use to mark the lanes in supermarkets). poor man's setup, works great. =)
newroom-fan.JPG

Inhaled... Your lady is showing preflowers... She is telling you that she is mature and ready to go into flowering whenever you are.. Your garden is looking good, and those are some nice little nuggies from your first grow... :peace:

So, are you all saying that it's normal for female plants show pre-flowers even before the light is switched to 12/12?

The plan for this grow: Never seen this done before... comments & questions welcome!

The Plan for This Grow

Goal: Small weekly harvest of ~3/4oz to 1oz
Initial Budget: $200
Monthly Budget: $20-$40

No surprise, I've already reached the $200 limit for the initial cost and still need grow medium, containers, mylar, a few more cfl bulbs, a $20 digital timer, and a good ph meter or at least some test strips in the mean time.

I've never seen anybody follow this plan before, this is a test that sounds good on paper, now we get to see how it does in the real world.

The plan is simple, make a space for every plant, for every week of its growth cycle. Rotate the plant to the next space each week and replace it with the plant that was in the space ahead of it. For example, move the plant in the week 4 space to the week space 5 and, at the same time, move the plant in the week 3 space to the week 4 space, and so on...

The reason for doing this is simple, every week there will be a plant ready to harvest, hopefully resulting in a supply of around 3/4oz to 1oz per week.

Here's a picture...
diagram.jpg

Does anyone know of anyone else that is doing this type of micro-perpetual harvest?

Questions? Comments? Ideas? :grinjoint:

^ sounds like an awesome plan. But why don't u try growing bigger plants which would give you a bigger yield, and the excess that your not smoking in during that time can be cured in some glass jars to give u some primo tasting smoke? sorry just my two cents lol :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom