Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Hydrogrown

Thread: Neurocardiogenic Syncope and MMJ

420 Member
    Blog Entries

Neurocardiogenic Syncope and MMJ

Well I popped over to this section of 420 to see if I could find any information on how my smoking habits effect this disease I was diagnosed with not long ago. FIrst, my story.

It started in my teen years, I would wake up on the floor and not remember "passing out" a minute or so before. To date I have had less than 15 episodes of "passing out"(quotes will be explain shortly), roughly 3 times a year.
    I saw my family doctor, who referred me to a neurologist. The neurologist found no abnormalities in a cat scan or eeg, sleep deprived and non. It was not until I saw a cardiologist years later that I was diagnosed, and he knew right away. Neurocardiogenic syncope is a condition that, in a nutshell, causes hypotension. The "passing out" is actually the result of my heart stopping because of too little oxygen to my brain, to put it simply. This was confirmed by a tilt-table test at the hospital. As far as I know this was inherited from someone in my family, but I have not found anyone else except a great aunt who had fainting spells in her youth. I am on medicine now and am told to eat lots of salt (helps absorb water), drink plenty of water, watch out for vasodilators like caffeine and alcohol, and I basically can't take 75% of pharmaceuticals with my meds.

So in relation to MMJ, I began to seek whether it was having a negative effect on my condition. I was concerned because I knew that the herb can cause vasodilatation, lowering blood pressure. I ventured to this medical section to see if I could find anything new, and the scientific data caught my eye because I study biology and can understand some things in scholarly articles. I want to be clear though I am no where near fully comprehending the implications their research may have. That being said I have read that among other things MMJ can increase the work load of the heart, increase heart rate, increase cerebrospinal blood flow, and these things all seem to be good in my case. The times when it would happen, sometimes I was high and other times not. I know that MMJ alone will not aggravate my condition, but there are times when I've had coffee and/or alcohol, had relatively not much water, been really stoned, and I felt really light headed or passed out. I posted this here because have not talked to anyone else with this disease (despite it being the most common form of syncope, which is fainting) let alone someone else who burns. Another reason I posted this is because there weren't any other threads on this particular forum.

My hopes are that I can learn exactly how and if self-medicating is hurting me. Also, if this helps even one person understand their own body a little better than that is still great. I am currently in the process of moving to a new state, and hopefully I can find a doctor to help clear up the issue. If so I will definently update this thread.

MMJ helps me, and I just want to be informed about putting things into my body. Thanks for listening.

-HG

Thumbs up Re: Neurocardiogenic Syncope and MMJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrogrown View Post
    Well I popped over to this section of 420 to see if I could find any information on how my smoking habits effect this disease I was diagnosed with not long ago. FIrst, my story.

It started in my teen years, I would wake up on the floor and not remember "passing out" a minute or so before. To date I have had less than 15 episodes of "passing out"(quotes will be explain shortly), roughly 3 times a year.
    I saw my family doctor, who referred me to a neurologist. The neurologist found no abnormalities in a cat scan or eeg, sleep deprived and non. It was not until I saw a cardiologist years later that I was diagnosed, and he knew right away. Neurocardiogenic syncope is a condition that, in a nutshell, causes hypotension. The "passing out" is actually the result of my heart stopping because of too little oxygen to my brain, to put it simply. This was confirmed by a tilt-table test at the hospital. As far as I know this was inherited from someone in my family, but I have not found anyone else except a great aunt who had fainting spells in her youth. I am on medicine now and am told to eat lots of salt (helps absorb water), drink plenty of water, watch out for vasodilators like caffeine and alcohol, and I basically can't take 75% of pharmaceuticals with my meds.

So in relation to MMJ, I began to seek whether it was having a negative effect on my condition. I was concerned because I knew that the herb can cause vasodilatation, lowering blood pressure. I ventured to this medical section to see if I could find anything new, and the scientific data caught my eye because I study biology and can understand some things in scholarly articles. I want to be clear though I am no where near fully comprehending the implications their research may have. That being said I have read that among other things MMJ can increase the work load of the heart, increase heart rate, increase cerebrospinal blood flow, and these things all seem to be good in my case. The times when it would happen, sometimes I was high and other times not. I know that MMJ alone will not aggravate my condition, but there are times when I've had coffee and/or alcohol, had relatively not much water, been really stoned, and I felt really light headed or passed out. I posted this here because have not talked to anyone else with this disease (despite it being the most common form of syncope, which is fainting) let alone someone else who burns. Another reason I posted this is because there weren't any other threads on this particular forum.

My hopes are that I can learn exactly how and if self-medicating is hurting me. Also, if this helps even one person understand their own body a little better than that is still great. I am currently in the process of moving to a new state, and hopefully I can find a doctor to help clear up the issue. If so I will definently update this thread.

MMJ helps me, and I just want to be informed about putting things into my body. Thanks for listening.

-HG

We should talk ... I have the condition as well. I was diagnosed at 14, and I'm now 33. I also smoke and was looking up the potential effects and also if its good for it. I'm moving to state where they about to pass a bill for medical marijuana purposes.
    I was told as an adult by my cardiologist, a few years back that it was still under research, because while it may have some negative effects depending on the individual, it may have a more positive upside in those that have multiple triggers like myself. Stress and severe anxiety also plague me and is a trigger for the condition. If I get a panic attack or extremely upset, I can almost guarantee an episode. Additionally, my doctor advised me that I've grown out of the medication and can control my heat episodes with my salt intake and fluids. I take a 1mg sodium chloride tablet daily, and put salt on everything. Lol

Re: Neurocardiogenic Syncope and MMJ

i would appreciate some feedback aswell. i was diagnosed at 19, i am 21 now. I have never passed out on my own except for when i was on the table tilt test. i am prescribed meds that increase my blood pressure over the period of the day, i also experience a constant chest pain whether minor or severe (mostly minor and not noticable). i have palputations aswell and i never experienced any of these things before making the worst decision to smoke spice and had what i think was a minor heart attack or stroke. this is what i believe caused everything that is wrong with me now. my heart rate is higher than the average and my chest is always tight but my cardiologist could not find any thing wrong with me and i was sent to an electrofisiologist who diagnosed me with neurocardiogenic syncope. i cant enjoy my favorite thing in the world next to sex and rock anymore because of this condition. every time i have tried to smoke weed i either ended up in the hospital due to increase in heart rate or had to take xanax to calm myself down. i NEVER had a panic attack on weed before this and have been smoking since i was 15 to 19 every day. i dont know what is causing all this because all the research i have done til now, everyone can smoke pot with this condition they just have to watch their lightheadedness, trust me i would give a kidney to make that happen. help with feedback and let me know if u have any of the symptoms i have listed. sorry for the horrible grammar i dont feel like correcting all this nonsense.