How Should I Select My Grow Space?

SmokeyMacPot

First, you should not put others at risk without their knowledge. This goes for your wife, kids, parents, live-ins or roomates. When LEO busts a grow, usually everybody goes to jail.

Next, make sure your space is secure. That means either lockable or hidden. You don't want the Orkin man finding your grow room.

Your grow space needs to have adequate ventilation and electrical resources for the size grow you intend on having. If you can't vent to outside of the space or you have 15 amp circuit that the tv is also on, don't look to put a 1000w hps on a mover in there.

Closets can make really good grow spaces, but heat usually is a big issue.

There used to be a site put up by a guy named Iguana who described coming home from work one day and smelling growing bud from his driveway. Have a plan for dealing with smell in place before the terpines become pronounced. A good ozone generator can remove the odor from the room and the exhaust.

Chests of drawers or dressers have too little space or ventilation opportunities to house a big (400w or bigger) HID. If you need to use a dresser, consider a small HID or flourescents.

If you have a big light in a small space, you will need big fans to keep it cool. Big fans make noise. Make sure that the noise from your grow doesn't tip people off as to what you are doing.

Author: Bongaloid

Hi, I am thinking of buying a nice sized dresser to create a stealth grow for use within an apartment. Any recommendations or tips for growing in an apartment? I know I'll have to distinguish the smell for sure, noise may be a problem unless I run a fan near my grow constantly...

:roorrip:Need help! Need opinions! Room=10'x10 7ft high celing. Grow space=6'x10' using constant flow hydro table=4'x8'x4"deep and floor to top of table 1ft so concidering the light I have about 3.5 feet of heighth to deal with. So the questions in this situation how to get the highest yield how many plants to use:roorrip: like 8 on the 4'x8' or 15 on 4'x8'? I know strains and conditions have a lot to do with it. Lets just say optimal conditions.... Lighting, co2 ventalation, controlled environment....optimal. I need opinions plzzzz!
Thanks in advance!

about $50. a month for 1000 watt hps or mh lamp stealth will be the key! first timer go with florecents for lighting its the best way to learn. The more light the better but more problems can arize and you need experience to handle it to make it worth while. Carbon filter with can fan a must to disquize odor and a sealed room with inlet and exaust
In a place where its not legal its probably a felony R U sure its worth it? DEA have technology to see things growing and able to identify through heat signatures what kind of plant (tomatoes, beans, lettus, weed) they say mylar can dispurse the heat signature but i wouldnt trust it Gool luck with that

Years ago I worked on FLIR or otherwise known as thermal imagers. I know every technical strength and weakness of these illegal home searching devices. The fact is, if you were to run in a field and able to put yourself in a place where your body heat could not be detected, you would be invisible. Simply holding up a clear sheet of glass that is the same temperature as your surroundings, will hide you from FLIR.

Understand that a thermal imager needs a heat differential to detect anything. If everything, including the dumpster you're hiding in, is the same temperature than you are invisible. It can only see temperature differences. If a hand held device was used close up, it could detect where your hands heated up the dumpster lid when you lifted it! Thankfully it would disappear in seconds as the rest of the lid would consume your left behind body heat. However, staying in one place very long and you run the risk of heating up your surroundings. That could lead to the question of why that dumpster is warmer than the others.

Best example of being invisible is you jumping into a stream of water and being submerged. The FLIR will see only the surface temperature of the water and not your body temperature.

Hiding a heat signature is as simple as equalizing the temperature of the room as much as possible.

Build in 2 or 3 ceilings, and this will distort how the heat energy is perceived.

Ventilate the upper 2 ceilings with fans. Fans equalize air temperature, but they will remove all hot spots that reveal the grow light signature.

If you want to go elaborate use an air conditioner to ventilate the ceilings. That would even cause the lack of a heated roof.

Beating a thermal imager is the same science put into triple pane windows. Use layers to create a different heat signature than the one it contains. Build a building, inside a building, inside a building and a thermal imager is useless in detecting heat loss. The trick is creating a different heat signature between the layers.

For heat to be detected by a thermal imager it has to move. When it looks at us it can see us swallow hot coffee. Our skulls are dark and light shines out of our eye sockets and mouths, depending on the polarity it is set on. It looks that way because we lose heat out of our heads faster through our eye sockets and mouths. Put our heads in a paper bag and then a box and it changes the heat signature of our skull, it now appears to be a warm box at most. (Heat can be set to appear dark or light, but most people use the heat set to light because it makes heat more apparent). My point is, changing how heat moves also changes how it appears and that is the weakness of FLIR. You control the heat dissipation.

As for an outside grow, the only thing to do is change the signature of the plant. I heard of people forcing the plants to grown under chicken wire, horizontally across the ground. They certainly aren't looking for that! Another way it to continuously top the plant to stunt it's growth, this will create more flowers and change that sought after signature.

I was thinking about starting 2 small plants that my brother gave me. The grow spot has a lot if sun but the cliff I would grow it on has very sandy ground. Could I just dig a big hole and drop good soil in there and put the plants in? I was thinking of making a small greenhouse and trying to speed up the growth because its late in the season. It's my first time growing but I've grown many other plants. Just never on a cliff with such poor soil. Maybe a planter box? Any suggestions would help. The plants are about 6 inches and its about mid 70s with sun all day. Super foggy in the am

Hello all you green fingered wizards, i have a questions that im sure you can all answer. I want to make a grow room in my loft, i live in a single story semi detached bungalow after i have moved some trusses around and made things safe and strong my room will be L 8FT W 7ft H 6.5ft my question is do i buy a grow tent roughly that size or do i build my grow room to my specifications the price for the tent works out about the same as the materials and by building my own i could have a small grow room with a larger flowering room. I was going to insulate the entire room to try and keep my whole roof from glowing in the dark from heat and light. So what would be best for me, a tent or my own build?

Hello all you green fingered wizards, i have a questions that im sure you can all answer. I want to make a grow room in my loft, i live in a single story semi detached bungalow after i have moved some trusses around and made things safe and strong my room will be L 8FT W 7ft H 6.5ft my question is do i buy a grow tent roughly that size or do i build my grow room to my specifications the price for the tent works out about the same as the materials and by building my own i could have a small grow room with a larger flowering room. I was going to insulate the entire room to try and keep my whole roof from glowing in the dark from heat and light. So what would be best for me, a tent or my own build?
If you plan on not moving custom built rooms are better you can better insulate for temperature, odor, and noise control. And you can make improvements and up grades. tents get old and ware out

I was thinking about starting 2 small plants that my brother gave me. The grow spot has a lot if sun but the cliff I would grow it on has very sandy ground. Could I just dig a big hole and drop good soil in there and put the plants in? I was thinking of making a small greenhouse and trying to speed up the growth because its late in the season. It's my first time growing but I've grown many other plants. Just never on a cliff with such poor soil. Maybe a planter box? Any suggestions would help. The plants are about 6 inches and its about mid 70s with sun all day. Super foggy in the am
any luck?

Hello friend, i have a space for building a closet with size : width - 0.7m, length 1.40m , height up to 2.00m / 20inch , 55inch , 78inch/. What will you suggest me to do with these space ? How many plants and with what led light can i grow ? Should i decreased the lenght ? Thank you !

hi guys i am new to forum and i have attempted to grow weed only once at my school years (without success).So the situation is simple now and i need your help.I want to grow a single plant that will not smell while growing in a 70 cm height space(the others sizes are not problem),so please tell me if there is any dwarf variety that can fit in there (it will be a box) and that will not smell.thank you :)

Hi manager8,
You might try an indica variety. Go on the more popular seed banks and they show things like yield, height, heat tolerance, etc. Pick a strain available to you and check things out. Remember also that marijuana is very responsive to LST and can be bent down many different ways and trained in assorted shapes and configurations.
Smell can be handled with a small fan and carbon filter. Don't forget to always go up one size (4,6,8) and then get a motor controller to run it at a lower speed. Has the desired effect while quieting the noise factor substantially.
Good luck with your grow.

I wish I had a big enough place to plant ALL my seeds..going 1K seeds..I've been saving them since Jr.High School..this was in the early 80's..I need some help on either finding a safe place (invisible) to plant them all or some to test mixing strains..I have atleast 30 different kinds of seeds from different kinds of weed I have smoked for over 30 years.I also use it for my ceremonies....Yes! I am an Indigenous Native..I use it in certain religious ceremonies..I am also a Shaman(Priest/Healer)..disabled now and all that works is the nature's medicine..cannabis and other different strains help certain people with different strains,do different things to others..So I use different strains,not only for those I help,but also for myself..My Native name is Yotanka Tatanka(Tall Bull Who Stands Up)..I was named after Sitting Bull..so if you see him out there in fb land you'll know who it is..Puff Puff Pass that 420 shit right over here..Hoka-Hey

Hello all I have a question maybe someone can help me out. I have a garage that is 20x30 and I would like to grown 25 plants. My garage is insulated attach to my house i have no neighbors around. I was thinking on getting a grow tent 10x 20 gorilla or secret garden.
My question is will 25 plants fit ok in there i wanted to grow white widow or a purple kush. anyone with experience please
Thank you.

Hello all I have a question maybe someone can help me out. I have a garage that is 20x30 and I would like to grown 25 plants. My garage is insulated attach to my house i have no neighbors around. I was thinking on getting a grow tent 10x 20 gorilla or secret garden.
My question is will 25 plants fit ok in there i wanted to grow white widow or a purple kush. anyone with experience please
Thank you.

Depends on how big you let the plants get before flowering. You could fit 100 clones in a 10x20 if you had them in small pots and flipped right away.
I would select a tent by how many lights you can afford and afford to cool.
More lights means you will need more than one or a bigger AC unit.

Hi I have 6 grow lights that are led lights one light is good for 160 square feet. the plants i would like to train them to be no more the 5 feet high. I cant go smaller with the tent but im not sure if im doing this right. has anyone grown 25 plants all at once. the high of my tent will be 8 feet high so i think that's going to be ok with the plants being only 5 feet. as for ac to keep cool is another thing i have to look into how hot will it get not sure i know the lights dont give out that much heat and save energy. anyone with experience please reply
Thanks

Small set up it’s an old filing cabinet wooden having a little bit of trouble with ventilation and humidity not exactly sure how to keep the heat up in the humidity down then again I am in the deep South

Back
Top Bottom