What is Vegetative growth?

SmokeyMacPot

Vegetative growth is the second stage in the life of a plant after it completes germination and begins photosynthesis. During this stage a plant will be photosynthesising as much as possible to grow as large as it can before the onset of the flowering (Generative) phase. In essence it is the period of growth between germination and the beginning of sexual maturity characterised by flowering.

All plants have a vegetative stage where they are growing as fast as possible. It is almost standard practice to grow Cannabis plants with no dark period, and increase the speed at which they grow appreciably. Plants can be grown vegetatively indefinitely (Mother Plants for clones). It is up to the gardener to decide when to force the plant to flower.

Author: Unknown

hi i'm a newbie and i have my first plant that has been abused, moved three homes, is only 6 weeks old, transplanted twice the same week due to inexperience, it has started to flower, 2 white pistols arrived on many shoots. i have increased the light to 24 hours including a 150 watt agro lite and reflective baking pans surrounding it., picked the pistols off, moved the lite to within 6 inches away. is there any way i can save this plant, just for the experience?

keep it in a pot until it is showing root bound moving it is stressful enough why transplant?

the pistols will dry up if you keep it 24/7
it needs lots of light and a stable environment
on the bright side you know its a female so your not wasting your time

it's during the 24 hour light period when you're going for hieght and girth before you change into 12/12 hour light to bud.
First off...the question wasn't there for a answer. This is the Tutorial part of the site and the question was answered in the first post.
And your answer is partially correct. i use a 18/6 light schedual for veg. Not 24 hours. Veg cycle is part of the plants growth cycle, not the light schedual.

Should the large leaves be pruned?

And by the way, I would not cut off any of the large fan leaves. They are what is powering this little dynamo you've got growing there, the plants need them to produce the food the plant needs to thrive. Never remove any healthy leaves, you need all you can get. If you feel you need more deep lighting (cfl's don't penetrate the canopy very well) add more lamps, it's tough to have too many! But do not chop any fan leaves!

And by the way, I would not cut off any of the large fan leaves. They are what is powering this little dynamo you've got growing there, the plants need them to produce the food the plant needs to thrive. Never remove any healthy leaves, you need all you can get. If you feel you need more deep lighting (cfl's don't penetrate the canopy very well) add more lamps, it's tough to have too many! But do not chop any fan leaves!

generally i agree with you about cutting healthy leaves, but aside from adding more light(sometimes not possible), removing leaves can be only way to increase light penetration

last grow i did 1000w scrog, I chose not to cut back leaves hoping light and nutes were good enough, i def saw stringy undergrowth rather than filled out nugs, i wish i would have trimmed some leaves but my friend basically said same as you

you dont have to remove whole leaf, you can trim it down...

generally i agree with you about cutting healthy leaves, but aside from adding more light(sometimes not possible), removing leaves can be only way to increase light penetration

last grow i did 1000w scrog, I chose not to cut back leaves hoping light and nutes were good enough, i def saw stringy undergrowth rather than filled out nugs, i wish i would have trimmed some leaves but my friend basically said same as you

you dont have to remove whole leaf, you can trim it down...

Have you tried bending them or in some other way moving the leaf out of the way?

Everyone has their own preference. I don't grow scrog so I'm not sure how much difference that would make. Whatever works for you man, just my two cents! :ganjamon:

Frying Pan. What is the best time to leave plant in vegetative before going to 12 12?
Or minimum?

Frying Pan. What is the best time to leave plant in vegetative before going to 12 12?
Or minimum?

That's hard to say exactly, if you're growing clones some people just wait until the roots are established, a few days to a week and then go 12/12. I started with clones and went 5 weeks before 12/12. Needless to say I had some monster plants, but this caused some problems because the plants were way overgrown for my space.

Seeds are another matter, but once they are established you can go 12/12 right after, though I wouldn't encourage it. The plants should be mature, most notably by only putting out one leaf per growth node, prior to flowering.

And then we need to know how you're growing. I grow DWC and that allows for some very fast plant development, dirt would be another matter.

Hey guys, would you do me a favor? I've been nominated for member of the month and I sure would appreciate your support! Please stop in the contest and place your vote! It will be appreciated no matter who you vote for.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom