How Can I Determine the Sex of Seed Plants with Clones?

SmokeyMacPot

As compared to the observation of preflowers, forcing clones is an almost foolproof method of determining sex. This method anticipates that the grower has started a batch of plants from seed. After several weeks of vegetative growth, the plants should have branched enough that cuttings may be taken. The cuttings should have at least one node and be at least an inch and a half long.

1. The seed plants are numbered or otherwise made distinguishable from each other.

2. Take 2 cuttings from each seed plant. Each of these are given the same number as their donor plant.

3. Root these cuttings and pot separately.

4. One representative clone of each plant is placed in a separate light proof flowering area and the photoperiod there is changed to 12/12. Please note that since these clones will be discarded after they show sex, that practically any light source will serve our purposes here.

5. The other clones remain in vegetative growth. By the time the flowering clones show sex, the now-identified as female vegetative clones are sexually mature and ready to flower themselves.

6. For larger crops, retain both the donor plant and the non-flowering clone for vegetative growth. Both may be used as mother plants to provide clones for harvest oriented flowering.

Author: Bongaloid

I once did clones when i had a definate female showing her sex...this plant was pruned to give me many sites to take cuttings..now these cuttings were exactly copies of their mother..........cuttings will be all females....clones.......da....

on male plant can the pollen sack have a bright red color to them..? if there is a flower i assume means pre flower,between you nudes and a pointy spike pertruding from the branch dose that mean its male?, what will a female look like when she buds?my babies are 7 weeks and im lost. whats my next step.....please help:goodjob:

Not sure about the bright red (just never seen it on a pre flower) but... in about the 5th or 6th week from seed, you will start to notice the pre flower exactly where you described... check them every morning w/a mag glass or a jewelers loupe and you will be able to tell the difference.
The female pre flower will get elongated and will look like it's gonna stretch out... the male on the other hand will be much rounder!
Just keep the glass on them and you should be able to tell, at least that's been my experience... best of to you!

PS... since you don't have the experience, I would suggest waiting till you can identify for sure before tossing out a possible male!

I'm sure if you look around here a lil bit, you will find the answer w/pics too... I just too tired to do it myself! :surf:

on male plant can the pollen sack have a bright red color to them..? if there is a flower i assume means pre flower,between you nudes and a pointy spike pertruding from the branch dose that mean its male?, what will a female look like when she buds?my babies are 7 weeks and im lost. whats my next step.....please help:goodjob:

thanks very helpful,if anyone knows about the brright red marbels...sorry if you dont understand what im trying to explain , but here it gos...now the plants are twisted,grows very akward.leaves are thin but roots are strong, now to the description of the problem...the root,main life of the plant is a nice green color, but when you travel up the root it looks a ruby red color and pimples are present there the only part thats red. i dont know the sex of this plant please help..ooh the plant is healthy but is the smallest plant of the bunch but is of age. 7 weeks, i guess it grows slow....

Definitely deficiency twisted leaves are first sign then slow growth. Pimples are potentially roots wanting to grow but not buried deep enough. This plant is being stressed out . Eventually you'll get very little poor smoke.

12/12 in the cloner will sex them no need to root

be safe and be well

Dequilo

As compared to the observation of preflowers, forcing clones is an almost foolproof method of determining sex. This method anticipates that the grower has started a batch of plants from seed. After several weeks of vegetative growth, the plants should have branched enough that cuttings may be taken. The cuttings should have at least one node and be at least an inch and a half long.

1. The seed plants are numbered or otherwise made distinguishable from each other.

2. Take 2 cuttings from each seed plant. Each of these are given the same number as their donor plant.

3. Root these cuttings and pot separately.

4. One representative clone of each plant is placed in a separate light proof flowering area and the photoperiod there is changed to 12/12. Please note that since these clones will be discarded after they show sex, that practically any light source will serve our purposes here.

5. The other clones remain in vegetative growth. By the time the flowering clones show sex, the now-identified as female vegetative clones are sexually mature and ready to flower themselves.

6. For larger crops, retain both the donor plant and the non-flowering clone for vegetative growth. Both may be used as mother plants to provide clones for harvest oriented flowering.

Author: Bongaloid
You can also colone them before flipping to flower. Flower them and keep the females. Or do what I do and grow them long enough that they indicate sex then flower them. I have a tent of violator kush about 95 days old and it couldn't be more obvious what sex they are. I like flowering mature plants as sexing is a breeze. Colone anytime before flower you just end up with mature colones.

Back
Top Bottom