Do I Have Bad Room Syndrome?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
The cause of inexplicable poor plant health and vigour may be a result of BRS.

Indoor air quality is lower than fresh outside air. Homes are filled with materials designed to resist fading, abrasion and time. Many of these materials emit toxic vapours at a low to very low concentration into the air.

Fresh paint / lead paint or solder / sealer, old or new carpet, flooring and other room fixtures may emit toxic vapours. These vapours are harmful to both plants and humans.

Newly installed flooring (especially fresh carpet) or wall panelling will often emit strong vapours for several weeks. The grower should vent the room thoroughly, remove the problem, or remove the plants.

(bhangman) The heat from HID lighting can cause linoleum to emit vapours

Grow rooms should (ideally) have most furniture and flooring removed prior to setting up. Inspect the corners of the room and closets for green or black mold. Occassionally, mold and mildew exists in the ducting. If possible, seal the central heating ducts.

Rooms with stagnant air are the most susceptible. Vapours will build up during 'lights off' when ventilation is low or off. Continuous or periodic ventilation will reduce the fumes considerably.

Other potential problems include: using 'non-fish-safe' silicone, pvc in irrigation, lead solder in old home plumbing, rotting insulation / asbestos, and fusarium wilt.

Note: given the numer of possible causes of poor plant health, growers should check all factors throughly. Pre-testing a room with houseplants might be a good precaution.

Author: snoofer

The cause of inexplicable poor plant health and vigour may be a result of BRS.

Indoor air quality is lower than fresh outside air. Homes are filled with materials designed to resist fading, abrasion and time. Many of these materials emit toxic vapours at a low to very low concentration into the air.

Fresh paint / lead paint or solder / sealer, old or new carpet, flooring and other room fixtures may emit toxic vapours. These vapours are harmful to both plants and humans.

Newly installed flooring (especially fresh carpet) or wall panelling will often emit strong vapours for several weeks. The grower should vent the room thoroughly, remove the problem, or remove the plants.

(bhangman) The heat from HID lighting can cause linoleum to emit vapours

Grow rooms should (ideally) have most furniture and flooring removed prior to setting up. Inspect the corners of the room and closets for green or black mold. Occassionally, mold and mildew exists in the ducting. If possible, seal the central heating ducts.

Rooms with stagnant air are the most susceptible. Vapours will build up during 'lights off' when ventilation is low or off. Continuous or periodic ventilation will reduce the fumes considerably.

Other potential problems include: using 'non-fish-safe' silicone, pvc in irrigation, lead solder in old home plumbing, rotting insulation / asbestos, and fusarium wilt.

Note: given the numer of possible causes of poor plant health, growers should check all factors throughly. Pre-testing a room with houseplants might be a good precaution.

Author: snoofer
Snoofer,
You still there? I may have bad room syndrome. I would like to discuss this or research more. Any info you have will be appreciated.

Air toxicity resembles Mg deficiency

Follow up.
Air Toxicity is real. My crops are back to normal after a year of stress and torture. Do not let your plants breath toxins. If it doesn't kill them it will compromise the quality. Air toxicity resembles Mg deficiency. Mg is used by the plant to help get rid of toxins. If you have Mg deficiency signs and you believe you could have had your plants exposed to air toxins(in my case it was painting supplies) you can try to increase the dose of Mg. It will help but it may be two late. It took my plants over two weeks to show improvement but it was too late. I had a 30% harvest.
Thanks to all who helped me with this even though no one guessed it, and I hope this will help someone in kind. Feels good to be back.

Re: Air toxicity resembles Mg deficiency

Follow up.
Air Toxicity is real. My crops are back to normal after a year of stress and torture. Do not let your plants breath toxins. If it doesn't kill them it will compromise the quality. Air toxicity resembles Mg deficiency. Mg is used by the plant to help get rid of toxins. If you have Mg deficiency signs and you believe you could have had your plants exposed to air toxins(in my case it was painting supplies) you can try to increase the dose of Mg. It will help but it may be two late. It took my plants over two weeks to show improvement but it was too late. I had a 30% harvest.
Thanks to all who helped me with this even though no one guessed it, and I hope this will help someone in kind. Feels good to be back.

yeah i had the same thing happen when i built a new room i used some really cheap paint, also some garage floor paint for the cement floor, and i have been doing the same system and nutes for years and had no issues what so ever, and when i put some plants in the new room three weeks into flower they turened to shit showing signs of mg deficency among others so i new it had to be the paint off gassing so it can happen if you use certain paints to build your room, I would like to know more about your setup if you painted your room or were they just exposed to the painting supplys and what you did to resolve the issue?

Back
Top Bottom