How Can I Control Normal Ants and White Ants Outdoors?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
I read a tip a while ago about using Pottasium Permanganate (Condy's Crystals)to control ants. Decided to give it a go. You can get PP at Chemists or some Supermarkets. You only use minute amount and mix it with plain water (just a few grains - enough to turn the water a pale to mid pink, not so much that the water goes purple to opaque). Then just water into the soil.

For me this has worked like a charm. AND IT WORKS ON WHITE ANTS, TOO. Keeps all sorts of ants out of the soil and away from the roots. Didn't harm plants at all.

A friend of mine uses Diatomaceous Earth to control bugs... I have yet to try it but, I trust the dude!
There are other methods, I tend to lean towards organic/natural when I am able.

This DE is not the same thing as the DE used in swimming pool filters. Pool grade DE is Diatomaceous Earth produced for pool filters and it is treated with heat, causing the formerly amorphous silicon dioxide to assume crystalline form. Pool grade DE should never be used for pest control. Swimming pool DE ranges from 60% to 70% free silica!

How does it work?
To insects DE is a lethal dust with microscopic razor sharp edges. These sharp edges cut through the insect's protective covering drying it out and killing them when they are either dusted with DE or if it applied as a wettable powder spray. If they ingest the DE it will shred their insides.

What insects can DE be used for?
Diatomaceous Earth may be used as a barrier to control adult flea beetles, sawfly, coddling moth, twig borer, thrips, mites, cockroach, slugs, snails and many other insects such as:
Aphids, thrips, earwigs, silverfish, and ants. Can be used for bedbugs, cabbage root flies, carrot root flies, fleas, pillbugs, ticks and is helpful in dealing with fungus gnats. Indoor and Outdoor Application: Sprinkle a light layer of DE in areas where pests frequent, including under stoves, cabinets, sinks, garbage cans, window and door frames and sills,
entrance ways, sewer pipes and drains, and in cracks and crevices. Repeat treatment as needed.
Carpet Beetles: Thoroughly dust along baseboards, carpet edges, under furniture, carpet, and rugs, and in closets and shelving.
Bedbugs: Take apart bed and dust joints and channels. Dust any hollow tubing and the interior framework as well as the mattress and all cracks in the room.
Fleas: Thoroughly dust carpets and pet's bedding and sleeping areas, as well as cracks and baseboards. It also can be rubbed into your pet's fur.
Flies: Thoroughly dust areas where flies frequent (walls, straw bedding, livestock pens). It also can be applied to livestock coat as an insect repellent/contact insecticide.
Fly Larva: Keeps fly larvae from developing in manure, which makes a significant reduction in the fly population.

What is Diatomaceous Earth?
Diatomaceous earth is a remarkable, all-natural product made from tiny fossilized water plants. Diatomaceous Earth is a naturally occurring siliceous sedimentary mineral compound from microscopic skeletal remains of unicellular algae-like plants called diatoms. These plants have been part of the earth's ecology since prehistoric times. It is believed that 30 million years ago the diatoms built up into deep, chalky deposits of diatomite. The diatoms are mined and ground up to render a powder that looks and feels like talcum powder to us. It is a mineral based pesticide. DE is approximately 3% magnesium, 33% silicon, 19% calcium, 5% sodium, 2% iron and many other trace minerals such as titanium, boron, manganese, copper and zirconium. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural (not calcined or flux calcined) compound. Diatomaceous Earth is a natural grade diatomite. However, the continual breathing of any dust should he absolutely avoided.

How does it work?
To insects DE is a lethal dust with microscopic razor sharp edges. These sharp edges cut through the insect's protective covering drying it out and killing them when they are either dusted with DE or if it applied as a wettable powder spray. If they ingest the DE it will shred their insides.

Comes with complete instructions for use on insects, flea and lice control, bed bugs, grain storage, parasite control in animals (use in feed) and fly control.

What insects can DE be used for?
Diatomaceous Earth may be used as a barrier to control adult flea beetles, sawfly, coddling moth, twig borer, thrips, mites, cockroach, slugs, snails and many other insects such as:
Aphids, thrips, earwigs, silverfish, and ants. Can be used for bedbugs, cabbage root flies, carrot root flies, fleas, pillbugs, ticks and is helpful in dealing with fungus gnats. Indoor and Outdoor Application: Sprinkle a light layer of DE in areas where pests frequent, including under stoves, cabinets, sinks, garbage cans, window and door frames and sills,
entrance ways, sewer pipes and drains, and in cracks and crevices. Repeat treatment as needed.
Carpet Beetles: Thoroughly dust along baseboards, carpet edges, under furniture, carpet, and rugs, and in closets and shelving.
Bedbugs: Take apart bed and dust joints and channels. Dust any hollow tubing and the interior framework as well as the mattress and all cracks in the room.
Fleas: Thoroughly dust carpets and pet's bedding and sleeping areas, as well as cracks and baseboards. It also can be rubbed into your pet's fur.
Flies: Thoroughly dust areas where flies frequent (walls, straw bedding, livestock pens). It also can be applied to livestock coat as an insect repellent/contact insecticide.
Fly Larva: Keeps fly larvae from developing in manure, which makes a significant reduction in the fly population.

I've had some decent success with using Tobacco against ants.

Seep some tobacco with hot water...kinda like you would with tea.

Strain and filter, add some soap (you'll have to experiment with how much), stick it in a sprayer, waa laa.

Start with a light spray on the plants themself to make sure it doesn't harm the plants (it shouldn't, but...depends on how concentrated the Tobacco juice is and how much soap [for cling] you use) and then spray the nearby ground (the more generous the better).

Acts both as an insecticide and deterrent. The nicotine (if your juice is concentrated enough) will kill them and the smell will help keep them off plants.

Best to use pipe Tobacco since it's higher in nicotine and it usually has a stronger smell to it. Cheaper too.

If you have ants you probably have aphids. they like to herd the aphids. If you have aphids, watch out for mildew and mold problems. they secrete sugars that make your plant more likely to have issues.

I know Raid ant traps work you can put them right on the ant hill, hole, their lazy and will chow it fast. Diatomaceous Earth works good on gnats I spoon some on my soil and wet it in.I didn't realize it had so much calcium. Its as dusty as dry wall ad chalk dust. it don't seem to be as effective on the lager insects.

Capt is on the money for a bazillon different pests. Another thing really good on ants is boric acid they eat it and take it back to the nest and die then his buds eat him and die and so on. Enviromentaly safe too...

Choose a time in late winter or early spring to kill off ants. During the late winter months, ant populations begin to increase. It's important to act quickly before the problem becomes harder to control.

Buy ant baits that do not contain cyfluthrin, permethrin or propoxur. These toxins work too rapidly and end up killing foraging ants rather than the whole colony. Baits generally come in two types: ant stakes and plastic bait stations. Both will attract ants by containing sugars and toxins, which ants find and bring back with them to their colony.

One part Boric acid (walmart) and 19 parts powdered sugar! Mix in water until thin like pancake syrup and nuke until the solids are dissolved. Let cool. Pour into small containers like film canister, baby food jars with small hole in lid so ants can get in, but keeps larger bugs and pests out. Place all around the house and wait. Not a fast kill. Ants will take the bait back to the nest and the hive will slowly die from the acid. If you put too much boric acid in the mix, the ants will die before they get to the hive. If they are not going after the sugar, mix boric acid with creamy peanut butter in same ratio. Ants go after the proteins more than the sugar depending on the needs of the hive. Takes about a month to fully do the trick, but you will get a handle on the ants. Good luck.

Here is a lil something else I came across while researching the lil buggers.

10 Ways To Kill Ants… Organically

1. Baking soda is poisonous to ants, spinkle it around your plants to ensure ants will stay away.

2. Flour & Baby Powder will keep ants from reaching your plants, ants will not cross the powder – so circle your plants with it.

3. You can use coffee grounds, chili powder, cinnamon, peppermint or black pepper. All deter ants and if you pour coffee grounds directly on an anthill, they will eat the coffee grounds and implode.

4. Grits, instant rice & cream of wheat can be sprinkled around plants. The ant will eat a piece of whichever you sprinkle, drink water and the grain expands and kills the ant. :)

5. Fill a spray bottle with 1 part vinegar and 1 part water and spray on plants. The acid in vinegar will kills ants.

6. Mix together one-third cup of molasses, six tablespoons of sugar, and six tablespoons of active dry yeast into a smooth paste. Use the mixture to coat strips of cardboard. Keep out of reach of pets and small children. You can leave mixture on a saucer outside anthill and they’ll eat it and die!

7. Fold contact paper in half, with the sticky side out and make a circle around base of plant. The ants get stuck on the paper – problem solved.

8. Cut off the bottom of a paper cup and cut a slit up the side of the cup and coat outside with vaseline and place around base of plant. You can also use packing tape.

9. Mix one cup of borax, two-thirds a cup sugar and one cup water. Dip cotton balls in the solution and place in areas near your anthill Ants will leave the plants alone and ingest the sweet mixture. The borax kills the ants.

10. Diatomaceous Earth is a commonly sold organic pesticide that will destroy the insects outer skeletons, causing the pests to die from dehydration.

Back
Top Bottom