What Is This Green Slime On My Rockwool?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
The green slime you have on your rockwool is called Algae.
Algae needs light and nutrients to live, it will spread to your reservoir and will block feed lines. Because of rockwools unique vertical 'tube-like' structure, which takes up nutes via capillary action, and pulls air into the medium as the nutes drain outward, a heavy buildup of algae can effectively block this breathing action. To prevent this from happening, use light-proof and water-proof material to cover your rockwool, for example black/white panda film or thick black bin liners.

The green slime you have on your rockwool is called Algae.
Algae needs light and nutrients to live, it will spread to your reservoir and will block feed lines. Because of rockwools unique vertical 'tube-like' structure, which takes up nutes via capillary action, and pulls air into the medium as the nutes drain outward, a heavy buildup of algae can effectively block this breathing action. To prevent this from happening, use light-proof and water-proof material to cover your rockwool, for example black/white panda film or thick black bin liners.

Medical...hope its kool to post a question here. First I want to personally thank you for the info you provide man...premo stuff. I am about to start my grow in a 5 gal hydro set up. I am going too start there little lives in rockwool, once they sprout and are ready for the bucket, I am placing the rockwool, 4*4*4 , in the 8 inch mesh basket in the whole in the bucket lid that will be filled the rest of the way with clay pellet (forget the name off the top of my head) and was wondering if putting just enough clay pellets over the rockwool to hide it from the light if that would stop the algea problem everybody speaks about? The system will have a drip system so I beileve the standard cover will hurt my drip system. Any input from you, espiecally app. Thank you for your time man. :hippy:
Man...lots of typing there...lets smoke.....:passitleft:

Medical...hope its kool to post a question here. First I want to personally thank you for the info you provide man...premo stuff. I am about to start my grow in a 5 gal hydro set up. I am going too start there little lives in rockwool, once they sprout and are ready for the bucket, I am placing the rockwool, 4*4*4 , in the 8 inch mesh basket in the whole in the bucket lid that will be filled the rest of the way with clay pellet (forget the name off the top of my head) and was wondering if putting just enough clay pellets over the rockwool to hide it from the light if that would stop the algea problem everybody speaks about? The system will have a drip system so I beileve the standard cover will hurt my drip system. Any input from you, espiecally app. Thank you for your time man. :hippy:
Man...lots of typing there...lets smoke.....:passitleft:

Post this over in the hydro section plenty of folks over there can help you out. Medical Marijuana is a fictional character so to say. I'm a soil guy otherwise I'd try and help you out. But it sounds like you are on the right track. :peace:

Would laying a thick black plastic work? i was thinking of using the same stuff that I use on my walls. white side up. and cut holes where the girls go on the table. Is this a good or bad idea?

WP_002532.jpg
that is what i did, take the panda film and cut in into squares, then take a razor blade and slit it to the middle then cut a cross in it to allow the stalk to expand. hope this helps u out.

Back
Top Bottom