How Can I Tell When My Buds Are Dry Enough To Be Cured?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
There is a number of variables to consider when it comes to drying-time: humidity, temperature, air-circulation, bud-density, bud-size, manicure/trim (or lack of), and the method of drying are all major factors.

Establishing an environment that promotes slow and uniform drying is key. Whatever drying method you prefer, maintaining cool temperatures and low humidity is essential for preserving flavour/aroma.

# Using a fan assists in keeping temp/humidity levels constant.

# Evaluating the "crunch" of the stem is a good technique when assessing whether or not buds are ready to be cured. When the stems snap, instead of bending, they are ready to be jarred and stored in a cool, dry, dark place. Another method of judging dryness is to bite the stems and evaluate the crunch this way; your jaw is more sensitive than even your fingers.

# You can also grind/cut/break up a bract from the center of a larger bud, and roll a joint with it; if it is smooth-smoking, with even-burning properties, then the rest of the buds should be ready for curing.

Once the correct dryness is attained, place the buds into an air-tight container/jar, filling it as much as possible to expel as much air as possible, and cure to your favorite vintage!

:scratchinghead: I think you are asking about the storage containers?
I use gallon glass jars... long or short is irrelevant IMO... the important things are, temps (moderately cool/cold and darkness)!

I have a question .....
What should it be the vases, long or short ?

:scratchinghead: I think you are asking about the storage containers?
I use gallon glass jars... long or short is irrelevant IMO... the important things are, temps (moderately cool/cold and darkness)!

Hey thanks ... I have more than 14 crops growing outdoor, but I have too many neighbor so I maybe gonna bring inside ...... did u think the crops will sofer by changing the enviroment ???

IMO, it depends on the strain, how accustomed they are to the outside environment, how big they are and what type of setup you have inside for them just to name a few variables.
Sounds like you didn't plan this very well, if need be, you might consider a stealth show somewhere in the hills!

Hard to say really w/o the proper info :Namaste:

Hey thanks ... I have more than 14 crops growing outdoor, but I have too many neighbor so I maybe gonna bring inside ...... did u think the crops will sofer by changing the enviroment ???

There is a number of variables to consider when it comes to drying-time: humidity, temperature, air-circulation, bud-density, bud-size, manicure/trim (or lack of), and the method of drying are all major factors.

Establishing an environment that promotes slow and uniform drying is key. Whatever drying method you prefer, maintaining cool temperatures and low humidity is essential for preserving flavor/aroma.

# Using a fan assists in keeping temp/humidity levels constant.

# Evaluating the "crunch" of the stem is a good technique when assessing whether or not buds are ready to be cured. When the stems snap, instead of bending, they are ready to be jarred and stored in a cool, dry, dark place. Another method of judging dryness is to bite the stems and evaluate the crunch this way; your jaw is more sensitive than even your fingers.

# You can also grind/cut/break up a bract from the center of a larger bud, and roll a joint with it; if it is smooth-smoking, with even-burning properties, then the rest of the buds should be ready for curing.

Once the correct dryness is attained, place the buds into an air-tight container/jar, filling it as much as possible to expel as much air as possible, and cure to your favorite vintage!
I only read to place dried buds in a GLASS container...I have several heavy duty plastic resealable containers that will hold a ounce or so. Will plastic work? Is there a NO NO reaction using plastic verses glass?

Thanks..I am about to harvest my first grow and want this part to go right and plan to wait to smoke the bud, until it's time...

This is my favorite method to check for moisture...:rollit:

I also like to sweat it at this point too. Just to make sure most of the moisture has been removed so mold can't get started.

For those of you who don't know what sweating is, I will explain.

After you have tested the bud and it smokes good, burns fine, put all the bud into a air tight container(Tupperware, Rubbermaid or plastic bags...etc.). Open it once or twice a day and flip or toss the bud around, bringing bottom bud to the top and vice versa, do this for a day or two, until the bud becomes moist again. Then put the bud back on the drying screens for a few hours to even days, until it starts to feel dry again. Then repeat the sweating process again. Repeat the sweating process until the bud is dry but not bone dry(Kinda spongy) and the stem snaps.

Sweating is a process that pulls the moisture from deep inside the bud to the outer dryer bud surface and will insure that no mold can take hold while you do the cure.

Peace...Buddha

PS. Watch Bud closely when its on the screens between sweatings, make sure you don't over dry...Buddha

Your version of sweating is curing..... Isn't that what curing is, pulling the moisture from inside the bud to the outside..... Drying is the hanging or screening process and curing is letting it cure inside an air tight container....

I guess it's a cure of sorts, never really thought about it, just how I do it.

I never thought of it as a cure because the sweating process takes place in a 7-10 day period. I always thought of curing, taking a lot longer. After I do the sweating process, I seal it up and leave it a month, opening it occasionally to check it. This is curing to me, makes the Medicine soooooo smoooooth...:tokin:

Peace...Buddha

I recently discovered that my local hardware shop carries 1/2 gallon Ball mason jars. They sell them in a package of six for about $12.00. These came in very handy for curing my last harvest!

All this talk I read on here about marijuana makes me want to start growing again. But more on topic when drying just make sure its in dark place n upside down hanging the buds actually extrapulate more THC from the stems hanging this way in the dark and will increase THC yield don't store moist or mold/fungus can grow use a dehumidifier if needed ..

Thanks for your help i think i jarred them a little bit prematurely , as i started getting a weird smell so they are back out in the frying room until they pass the stem test thanks again……. CJ

Although i agree you should hang the entire plant upside down (for a slow even dry) this will not increase thc content. There is not, contrary to ed rosenthals belief, thc filled resin in the stem that will flow into the buds. Cannabinoids are produced by cells that make up the head directly on the trichomes, and its gonna stay in its trichome. Dont get me wrong the man is a great grower but that is a terrible myth mainly began by him.

I realize this was posted a while ago i just felt the need to correct this

Sorry if i sounded rude. I only mean to help

peace :bong:

Thanks this helps me as well, as I just harvested and trimmed my buds from my first ever grow. Hoping they will not dry to quick as it's very dry where I am at the moment. Will keep an eye on them daily.

Back
Top Bottom