The Circuit which goes to my Grow Room only has Two Wires, but my Light has a 3 Prong

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
The Circuit which goes to my Grow Room only has Two Wires, but my Light has a 3 Prong Plug, What Should I Do?
Don't use one of those adapters that converts a 3 prong to a 2 prong unless you know for certain that the socket has been properly grounded.

You can install a new breaker in the service panel and run 3 wire Romax to your grow. Then you can install a 3 prong outlet (preferably a GFCI). Buy a basic wiring book and follow the instructions exactly. Electricians don't charge much compared to morticians, so don't be afraid to hire a pro.

Add a 20 amp, not a 15 amp. The cost is the same and the 20 amp is no more hassle than the 15 amp. While you're at it, consider installing 2 runs of wire so if your grow ever needs another breaker, the wire will already be in place.

Re: The Circuit which goes to my Grow Room only has Two Wires, but my Light has a 3 P

In my case here in Spain I came across trhe opposite problem. Two connection points and 3 wires.

In this instance I screwed the 'earth' wire to a screw in my hood.

Re: The Circuit which goes to my Grow Room only has Two Wires, but my Light has a 3 P

i got a 90 watt led 3 prong only have 2 wire outlet it , my old man told me to get an adapter I don't wanna end up homeless....but I use adapters all the time in my space heaters in the winter. what do you all think?

Run a piece of 3 wire romex of an adequate gage... you may need to drill a couple of holes... if you can but, if not... I have cut the ground plug off the male end many times, it's a secondary measure... there is a neutral as well on 3 prong plugs. (I am not advising you to do it... I'm saying I have done it for other older building projects w/no bad outcomes!

Depending on the setup you are going to use, there is a few ways to install wiring safely... need to know more about the individual grow rooms/place!

The third prong on the male end of the plug is just for a ground. Electrical codes back in the day didnt require a grounding wire. If i were you just turn off the power and open up the outlet in the wall. pull the plug out and look inside the box for a green wire, or a bare copper wire. old timers would just shove them in the back. If the outlet is in a metal box the bare wire should be attached by a green screw in the back of the box or with a clip at the bottom of the box. if the the metal box is grounded you can just take a piece of wire and attach it to the green screw on the side of the outlet where the white wires or nuetrals. then take the other piece of wire and curl it around the screw that attaches the outlet to the box and tighten here down. making sure that the ground wire is touching the metal box. Im not throwing out any bs i am a electricain. if not then run a new circuit like captain chronic said. good luck

Run a piece of 3 wire romex of an adequate gage... you may need to drill a couple of holes... if you can but, if not... I have cut the ground plug off the male end many times, it's a secondary measure... there is a neutral as well on 3 prong plugs. (I am not advising you to do it... I'm saying I have done it for other older building projects w/no bad outcomes!

Depending on the setup you are going to use, there is a few ways to install wiring safely... need to know more about the individual grow rooms/place!

Your ground circuit is NOT a secondary measure! If your electrical component does not have a good ground circuit and experiances an internal short, whoever touches that component could become electrocuted! The neutral is the return path for the flow of electricity, not a ground. Electrocution is the 5th leading cause of residential accidental deaths in the United States. YOUR GROUND CIRCUIT MUST BE INTACT!

Electrical codes back in the day didnt require a grounding wire.

And ironworkers didn't use harnesses back then either.....

Back
Top Bottom