For all who want a card but

tintala

Plant of the Month: Third Place Winner
have NO legite illness to get it should just keep getting it from your dealer. I have read soo many posts here that ppl who aren't seriously ill, or are ONLY looking for certain strains, or their dealer is out , or want a free coffee card, or cheaper herb,you are the ones compromising the system for legitimate, seriously ill patients that have "CHRONIC ILLNESS" , in which some are still turned away and there is a huge backlog of ppl who really need mmj. I hate reading here about ppl who want this card and don't really need it. Trying to obtain a docs recommendation coz your dealer is out or you want to get it cheaper or some shit is just fucked up! Bad Karma on those WHO HAVE beat the system in order to obtain a card and are not seriously ill. You are the ones who are making the process of legal mmj in all states a seriously HARD endeavor, because of you WE seriously ill, chronicly ill patients are badly scrutinzed as "DRUG SEEKERS". You make it even more diffilcult for us to go thru the process. SHAME ON YOU and I hope you never get a card!

Re: FOR ALL OF YOU WHO WANT A CARD but..

Yeah...I think the "seriously ill" patient is a fine line. For example...I'm a diabetic with high cholesterol, endometreosis, PCOS, anemia, Insulin resistance, and have anxiety. I am on so many medications for being 24...it makes me nuts sometimes just to keep up with them. I take fortamet, vytorin, byetta (a shot twice a day), I-Car-C, wellbutrin, and sesonale on a daily basis. Some meds are twice a day and some are once. These meds help me alot, but they also can give me major nausea at any time. It's not specific it just happens out of the blue sometimes. Because I do not have a critical illness I would not be considered for a med card. The only thing they might consider is my anxiety. Marijuana is also linked to lowering metabolism, which would help many diabetic patients and also other patients with acute illnesses that go through similar symptoms could benefit from marijuana use as well. But the question is "who gets to decide what is and isn't considered for a med card?" The doctor or the government?

While I agree with Tintala that people without a justifiable illness shouldn't apply for medical marijuana in an MMJ state; I also agree with Boss that we need to keep our perspective. I don't think the fact that people are using the MMJ laws to find a "legal" source of tokables should take our focus away from the fact that in the big picture, Cannabis is a harmless herb that has many physical and mental health benefits. This perspective should make the MMJ laws appear as a bureaucratic joke. Why do we need a law to allow people to use Cannabis in any way they desire? There is no good reason.

I use weed for pms & cramps (I'm allergic to the only other drug which is effective for me) which from what I understand is not a valid reason to obtain a card in the eyes of the law. This is bullshit so if I have to fake some other condition in order to get it then I will damn well do it. Just because you may have a so called "legitimate" need for it doesn't mean you are any more entitled to a card than I am or anyone else who wants one. Marijuana should be legal & if this is currently the only legal way to obtain it then more power to the people that go out & get one....regardless of their reason. Skirting this law is no different than skirting any other law which most everyone does.

Just my two cents.:peace:

Sick people know who they are. So do stoners. I'm not going to gripe at folks who use MJ for "minor" medical uses having a card.

But those who fake symptoms, those who ask "what should I tell the doc", they know that they are faking it. Those people are making it harder for the real medicine seekers to get their medicine.

Yes, and in the opinion of many, lying to a doctor is stupid on many levels.

Depending on the state you're in (geographically), obtaining Cannabis illegally and possessing it in small enough quantities may be less of a crime than fraudulently obtaining a recommendation. Then it's just a victimless crime, while messing w/ the MMJ laws can have a negative impact for many.

Depending on the state you're in (geographically), obtaining Cannabis illegally and possessing it in small enough quantities may be less of a crime than fraudulently obtaining a recommendation. Then it's just a victimless crime, while messing w/ the MMJ laws can have a negative impact for many.

Good point

Yes, and in the opinion of many, lying to a doctor is stupid on many levels.

Skirting unjust laws has been done throughout time. Remember slavery? Prohibition? Women not being able to vote? Sometimes you have to take a stand when something isn't right or it will never change.

Perhaps cramps falls under "chronic pain"...I'll have to look into that. Men don't suffer from those so you have no idea what they are like. Fucking painful! I'd do just about anything to rid myself of those.

Skirting unjust laws has been done throughout time. Remember slavery? Prohibition? Women not being able to vote? Sometimes you have to take a stand when something isn't right or it will never change.
Breaking the law is something I have no problem with (depending on the law). I did it about 15 minutes ago. I plan to do it again after I type this.

Lying and giving ammunition to those who would jail folks for growing their own medicine are immoral. I don't do it and I counsel others to avoid that kind of immorality.

Outlaws need to be more moral that law abiding folks.
Law abiding folks can follow the societies default morality that is expressed in laws.
Outlaws have no such crutch and need to be conscious of the morality of their actions.

Breaking the law is something I have no problem with (depending on the law). I did it about 15 minutes ago. I plan to do it again after I type this.

Lying and giving ammunition to those who would jail folks for growing their own medicine are immoral. I don't do it and I counsel others to avoid that kind of immorality.

Outlaws need to be more moral that law abiding folks.
Law abiding folks can follow the societies default morality that is expressed in laws.
Outlaws have no such crutch and need to be conscious of the morality of their actions.

I was thinking about what you & others have said & you're right (mostly). I talked to a friend last night as well who informed me how easy it is to grow my own & for fairly inexpensive. I think that is my best route to go until more conditions are covered under "medical marijuana". Thanks for your input. I'll head over to the grow threads now :)

Just consider yourself lucky to at least live in a medical state.... I dont have a chronic illness. neither does my boyfriend. But there are other reasons people use MJ. you dont have to have a chronic illness to use it medically and get super benefits out of it.

for ex. My boy weighs around 120 lbs. he doesnt like eating he says he feels like it's wasting time. but when he is actually hungry he loves food. So in order for him to gain weight he has to toke and eat to force himself to be hungry. He isnt anorexic because he does eat....he just doesnt have any appetite. So toking for him is sorta important sometimes. Does that mean if we ever have the chance to get a medical card he shouldnt just because he isnt diagnosed with a certain disorder or disease?

I on the other hand lost 60lbs from toking.....made me learn to overcome being hungry if you can learn to overcome the munchies. I learned to take that task and apply it to life when I am hungry and dont need to eat.

MJ has alot of other potential values for medicinal purposes. It's sorta to bad that the medical community in most areas have it so limited. I would think that if there was no reason to perscribe people MMJ that doctors wouldnt do.

when someone is dying in chronic pain they give them morphine, when my boy tore ligaments and tendons in his leg they gave him morphine, does that make him less entitled to it because his condition wasnt serious? No. It did what it was supposda do in both cases. Which there are many reasons people use MMJ they shouldnt be criticized because their reason wasnt good enough.

I think medical should be available to who wants it because I think that it should be a decision a adult can make. As long as they have a good enough reason for it and it is legit. Who cares if johnny over there uses it to sleep where as joan over there uses it for chronic pain for cancer? They both deserve it. they both made the decision to put something organic into their bodies instead of something chemical that you have no idea what damage it could do to your body and mind.

getting a card because your dealer is out and you want it easier isnt a good reason. I dont agree with that. And everyone who has a chronic and bad illness should come first.

but everyone should have the right to choose their medications. whether it be MMJ or not.

what diseases warrant medical marijuana? i only really got 2 that i for sure know of, adhd, and sleeping problems. though im from new england, so its not like id ever come close to getting one of those prescriptions. idk any other state that does it besides california(and apparently canda)

I dont see how people can get all pissed at doctors recommending Marijuana. What about all the people who get prescribed drugs they dont need like vicodin and oxycontin....no wait lets take it further, maybe we should start judging the people who have a drink and/or cigarette every day. And if you still want to oppress people, lets start regulating caffeine, one of the more powerful "benign" drugs.

-Umpsy

P.S. I got my recommendation for asthma and insomnia, neither of which are life threatening to me. I did not have to lie to my doctor.

I read an article a while back written by a journalist in Florida. He had heard about how MMJ worked out here in LA, so he flew out to experience the system for himself. He saw one of the extra-compassionate doctors, said something about having trouble sleeping or whatever, and got his recommendation.

My favorite part of the article was his closing line, which went something like this: "I always wondered what would happen if some state just declared marijuana legal. It turns out California essentially did, and nothing happened."

This, to me, is the end result of our state's big experiment. We're showing the world that READILY AVAILABLE cannabis has no detrimental effect on society at all. We're still the same California we always were. Nothing changed. Hospitals aren't overrun with marijuana overdoses or weed-induced schizophrenia. The workforce hasn't stopped working. We're saying to the world: "See, the weed boogyman isn't scary at all!"

If you believe weed should be illegal except for those of us who are severely ill, I understand your distain for people who scam the system to get it. That's a consistent opinion.

However, if you're like me, and you believe weed should be 100% as legal as any alcohol or cigarette (or more legal than them), then I think it's OK to take delight in people gaming the system. I sure do! I live in a fancy Valley neighborhood where real estate is expensive and crime is low... and I have three dispensaries within walking distance of my house. When I go to mine, there's often some young guy bouncing out of there wearing shades and a big grin, and I think it's wonderful. I walk in my dispensary, and it smells like freedom. We Californians have thrown our own little Boston Tea Party here, and people throughout the world are starting to take notice.

Disclaimer: I didn't have to lie to get my recommendation... but I probably would have.

Back
Top Bottom