Know your Ruderalis or Hemp strain's regions of origin....

WildRosebud

Most automatic Autoflower strains are Ruderalis based. Some breeders use certain Hemp strains to create auto flowers. The difference between the 2 is if you cross a regular with Hemp you get a half potent strain as a result from the first cross with depending on variety of hemp could be MASSIVE in stature and yields but hemp is SUPER prone to hermaphrodite because more than half the phenos are self seeding. Hemp tends to autoflower within 40-60 days and can grow even after frosts and snow till they rot out or are cropped out. For seeds they tend to be taken before adverse weather hits. If you choose Hemp to breed with keep in mind it is going to be much trickier pinpointing your desired traits and if the hemp dominates flavor you will hate it. (Tastes like toast)

If you cross with Ruderalis varieties you lose less potency and potentially gain autoflowering traits to your fave regular strains. The problem here is understanding what region the "Wild" ruderalis come from. If you grow in a short season colder climate you will require a far North strain. If you require a autoflower for closer to equatorial regions then you will need a Ruderalis from places like Mexico or the like. Northerly Rude Auto's like LowRyder (GWN) are of Finnish/Suomi regions and can grow within 3 months from seed to finish. The LowRyder looks very Sativa but I find it sways toward Indica genetics for looks when successfully bred with Hybrids and Solid Indica.

I hope we openly discuss our breeding experiences here , I know the information I provided is pretty vague and seems like I left a lot out so feel free to ask , chances are I can give you a good answer. Namaste all!

I just started my grow with autoflowers, I did a ton of reading before decided that they would be a great project for myself.

I looked at many seed banks and never saw one that was described as being crossed with a hemp plant. In no way am I saying you are wrong, I'm a newbie that is learning as I go.

My thinking that crossing work a hemp plant would lower the amount of thc and keep cbd the same, or lower it but by less of a margin. Just me brain storming....

It seems the lower thc gets, eventually the plant would be more "hemp" than "marijuana", thus making it more medicinal like. In the eyes of some states, low thc and high cbd, make it more medicinal.

I would be extremely interested in a hemp/marijuana cross. And then taking the babies and keep breeding, and check the thc/cbd levels along the way.

The smoking taste would not matter if the bud was offered in oil form. What seeds have you found to have been crossed with hemp? Or do you know of any one trying this?

Hi WildRosebud! Interesting post and thoughts, thanks for sharing. I was not aware of primary Ruderalis genetics that are regional but this would only make sense as a result of adaptation and natural selection. You've got me pondering now with something new to add to my research. Cheers!

There is an on-going debate about the origins of auto-flowering cannabis. From the Mexican Ruderalis to the hemp strain "Finola". Although I'm sure that anyone attempting to cross a psychoactive strain like Indica with a Pure hemp strain wouldn't have a very high quality smoke.

I don't think that any of the auto-flowering strains on the market to date are descendants of hemp. It's more likely that the Russian Ruderalis x Mexican Sativa, which is now known as the Mexican Ruderalis is the basis of the strains we now call auto-flowers.

Although I wasn't physically there in the creation of the "first" mass produced auto-flower that we know as Lowryder. So I can't be 100% certain on the origins of commercially produced auto-flowers.

I'd like to hear opinions :)

First, can we please stop distinguishing between Hemp and Cannabis. They are the same species. So what differentiates them?
The method of cultivation.
When grown for industrial applications C. Sativa s/s Sativa or s/s Indica are grown close together with no further manipulation. This forces the plant to grow tall with usually a single apical cola. These plants even so called Indica can and will reach over 4 metres in order to reach the light they need.

When grown for Marijuana the plants are grown with much wider spaces between the plants and can be as much as 3-4 feet between them allowing more light to reach all parts if the plant and for the plant to express its self fully. And not forcing the plant to reach for the sun and thereby reducing the potential potency. Some plants will continue to grow tall because their genetic say that must be done.
Others will not and will revert to their own natural size since they no longer have to grow tall go get to the light.

s/s Sativa tends to grow tall and s/s Indica tends to be shorter some times much shorter 3-4 feet or thereabouts. Of course Industrial cannabis is selected for mainly fibre and or seed production rather than drug use, but if allowed to grow with wider separation you will find the THC and or CBD content will increase. Probably not even close to the levels in modern drug cultivars but higher than if grown for fibre or seed. Getting hold of viable seeds for a personal grow for experimental purposes is a little difficult since most sources are steam sterilised before sale as bird food, human consumption or whatever. Basically they are cooked which does tend to reduce the possibility of such seed germinating to around zero I know because I have tried to germinate seeds designated for human consumption and they wont germinate which was bit annoying.

I have a few wild type viable seeds from a reliable source and various regions to experiment with but as yet I haven't planted any. Most are from regions around and in the Himalayas, Hindu Kush, Crimea and Siberia. The UK is at similar latitudes (around 53deg north) to the sources of these seeds but our climate is a little warmer thankfully due mainly to the effect of the gulf stream. Some are from lower latitudes but higher altitudes.

heya friend,,

as interesting as the discussion is,, the thread is ages old and some thots have changed,,

peace out

Back
Top Bottom