Planning my 1st auto flower grow

Meriwether

What's up 420-ers, :Namaste:

This will be my first attempt at growing. Now that the vote to legalize passed in our state(!), SWMBO has authorized me to convert a bathroom closet into a grow space. :thanks:

I'm figuring the growing area inside the closet to be 3'4W x 2'D x 3'T, roughly, and I'm going to hang my soon-to-arrive Mars Reflector 96x3 on a rod directly above two 10" pots. I've insulated much of the lower closet area with bubble-wrap insulation, put a 200W incandescent w/ alu work shield in for heat purposes only, and with that I can get the temp in there up to the upper 80s with humidity in the low 20s. I've also got a small Vornado fan in the space, off to the side below a shelving area. I've got a small, cheap electric heater I can add to the mix for heat if I have to, and there's a humidifier in the house that I might be able to appropriate as long as it's not needed elsewhere. If I take a shower with the closet door open, the humidity jumps up to 50% quickly.

I ordered "Sweet Dark Devil" auto flowering seeds from Herbie's, which have yet to arrive, but once germinated (I'll probably go the paper towel route) I plan to put them directly into the 10" pots, with bottom and top layers of Hydroton pellets, and Fox Farms Ocean Forest in between. I'm not planning any nutrients until perhaps later in the cycles, and I'm going to water with tap water that's been left out for 24 hours, as I want to avoid buying water if at all possible. I am going to buy a pH kit to test water and runoff with. If it looks realistic later in the grow, I've got a home-made PVC SCROG frame ready to go.

I don't know yet how much heat the 96x3 is going to put off, but I'm going to have to find an efficient way to heat the space when I go dark. I also don't know what effect having the pots full of soil will have on the temps and humidity. I'm hoping to go with an 18/6 schedule, with the 6 hours of dark during the day, maybe 11am-5 pm, when ambient temps are highest. My plan is to get the grow space as optimized as I can (without spending much more $, I blew my budget on the light! :hmmmm: ) before I germ any seeds, and I already see 2 problem areas:

1) Temperature. It's awfully cold in there. Without a heat source the closet temp drops to the upper 50s and I don't think that will work so well.

2) Airflow. I can't get away with cutting any holes in the closet walls at this point for vents. There's about a 1-inch gap at the bottom of the door that I'm hoping will allow enough fresh air to be drawn in by the Vornado fan, and open space above and to the side of the grow area that I'm hoping will allow for some recirculation. I can probably get away with buying a small clip fan or two to add to the mix.

Here's the space as of now:
IMG_4754_zpsb79341a7.jpg

The area with the fan and potentially the small heater:
IMG_4753_zps71aa797f.jpg

I've been doing a lot of reading here on the forum and it's amazing how much knowledge is out there, and how willingly people share their secrets and tips. I'm brand-new at this and looking forward to learning as I go, hopefully with the help of some of you fine folks. Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

:peace:

Look who showed up at the party! Mars Hydro 96 x 3

LED1_zpsd2f18a5d.jpg

This showed up within a couple days of ordering it on the Mars Hydro website. Couldn't be happier with the delivery speed and smoothness of transaction. I've got the light hung, and I'm starting to look at what it does to the ambient temps in the closet. I also bought a small Vornado "personal heater" fan to try to keep things warm enough. The light looks awesome in the closet, and pretty soon it'll be time to germinate the seeds and really get started!

After more reading, I'm leaning towards putting 2 seeds in a small bowl of water until they pop, and then very gently planting them 3/4" directly into the Ocean Forest soil and going from there. I've now got my 10" grow pots on upside down Home Depot 5g buckets, thinking that since heat rises, keeping them more in the middle of the area might help keep them warm and also with airflow.

I put about an inch of Hydroton in the bottom of each pot for drainage, and another very light layer on top of the soil, to help disperse the water. I gave each pot about 1/4 gallon of store-bought, distilled water, just to get a sense of how much I'd use, and I already think my previous plan of using tap water left out for 24 hours is the way to go. The 1/4 gallon each was just enough to get water to slowly seep a little from the bottom of the pots. I want to have the pots properly hydrated and temperature-stabilized before I start germinating.

Nice setup.

Auto Dark Devil from Sweet seeds! Yes! I have some of that bud still kicking around here somewhere.

Subbed!

Since my light showed up yesterday, I've been playing around with circulating fan speeds and distance from the light to the pots, trying to get the temperature right. Currently I'm hitting around 88F with 30%RH with the light on, 77F and 40% with it off, but it's still fluctuating, and I'm not ready to plant any seeds quite yet. I watered my pots for the first time yesterday, until a little ran thru the bottom, and this morning the water in the spill tray had evaporated. I added another 1/4 gallon of distilled water each when I turned off the lights just now, and I'm going to keep things dark for the next 6 hours.

I'm trying to do a practice run of an 18/6 light schedule, to see if it looks like the temps might work, and to see if any other issues come up. If things look good in about 6 hours when I turn the lights back on, I may put my 2 precious, expensive seeds into water tonight, with the hope of planting them at 11AM tomorrow at the start of my dark cycle.

Having read in the FAQ that once you put the germinated seed into the soil it should sit in the dark for 6 hours, I'm thinking that the start of tomorrows dark cycle would be perfect, assuming that the seeds cooperate and pop overnight. If they don't and they pop sometime between cycles, would it make sense to wait until the beginning of the next dark cycle to plant them? How long can seeds sit in a bowl of water without worry? And is it right to plan to start my 18/6 schedule right after the germinated seeds sit in the dark for 6 hours?

Here's what things look like now: FFOF soil in the pots with Hydroton rocks top and bottom, the 96x3 light about 7 inches above the top of the rocks :hmmmm: Too close?

distance1_zps11d844e7.jpg

Happy Friday everyone, it's cold and raining outside where I live, but my bathroom closet sure feels nice ;)

:peace:

When I germinate seeds I soak them in ph 6.5 water for approx 24-48 hour until i see a trap root and the plant into my prepared soil the lights are normally on when i put them in my tent but have put into a lights off tent and i didn't see any difference. Normally in about 48 hour after being in the soil they break the surface. Hope this helps a bit.

7 inches is definitely too close.

I start my seedlings about 30 to 35 inches and off center from the lamp.

7 inches is definitely too close.

Somewhere in my wandering in the threads here I've ended up with the idea that LED lights can be super-close to the plants from start to finish. Maybe I should re-think this. . . of course I can't put my finger on the thread where I got that idea at the moment but I'm sure I've seen folks with Mars (TopLed) and Platinum LEDs advocate putting the lights as close as possible.

Thanks for the replies, it's awesome to have access to experienced growers instead of pissing into the wind and seeing where it lands.

Somewhere in my wandering in the threads here I've ended up with the idea that LED lights can be super-close to the plants from start to finish. Maybe I should re-think this. . . of course I can't put my finger on the thread where I got that idea at the moment but I'm sure I've seen folks with Mars (TopLed) and Platinum LEDs advocate putting the lights as close as possible.

Thanks for the replies, it's awesome to have access to experienced growers instead of pissing into the wind and seeing where it lands.

Later on in flowering it ok to have the lights closer but when they are young led,s can still give them light burn. your more than welcome over to my journal for a look I am using the old model 100x3w leds

28 inches

On the advice of the luminaries Seraphim, wildwelshman, b.real and CO Finest, I've moved the light a lot higher, so the LEDs are 28" from the top of the soil in the pots. New Lazy Susan drip trays, Vornado personal heater on "fan only" mode, 84F and 43%rH. I think I'm getting close! So far I'm thinking the way to go is fan-only when the light is on, "low heat mode" when the light is off for 6 hours during the day. Still tinkering.

LazySusans_zpsfca17636.jpg

Bonus pic: my daughter helped me discover that when you barely crack the closet door, a rainbow spills out from the various LED elements in play. There's a layer of the bubble wrap covering the grow side of the closet door you can't see in the pic above, that probably helps with the refraction when it's closed. Pretty cool.

Rainbowunderdoor_zps8eab0936.jpg

Seeds in the Water!

It seems like the temperatures in the closet are falling within reasonable bounds, and it's time to get going. I put 2 Dark Devil seeds in some slightly warmed RO water, now they're soaking, covered up and in a warm place. I sure hope these 2 seeds are viable, in retrospect I should've ordered more to save on future shipping costs, but this is what I have. If these don't work, I've got one more DD seed, and a couple of freebies from Herbies.

Good luck little guys!

Floatingseeds_zpse0e6a69e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom