Suggested schedule for molasses during flowering?

RandyL

I've been reading online about using molasses for micronutrients and bud growth during flowering, I'd like to get your opinions also.

From what I'm reading, I add 2 tablespoons to each gallon of water (mix in a quart of warm water to dissolve it first) and give the plants molasses at each watering. Some people said every OTHER watering.

From what I've read, it was suggested to use blackstrap molasses, but I couldn't find any, so I got the Grandma's Unsulphured kind. Will that be ok?

Any other molasses tips?

Never used mollases but Bud Candy from advanced nutes it pretty much a bunch of different sugars including mollases extract. It provides the plant with simple sugars that it can then process into complex carbs which it then uses in flowering to produce fruit. I wouldn't really worry about overfeeding a plant mollases i really don't think that it could possibly burn the plant.

I've been reading online about using molasses for micronutrients and bud growth during flowering, I'd like to get your opinions also.

From what I'm reading, I add 2 tablespoons to each gallon of water (mix in a quart of warm water to dissolve it first) and give the plants molasses at each watering. Some people said every OTHER watering.

From what I've read, it was suggested to use blackstrap molasses, but I couldn't find any, so I got the Grandma's Unsulphured kind. Will that be ok?

Any other molasses tips?

Grandma's is fine, it's the unsulphured part that's important.

I use 1 tablespoon/gallon once a week. More won't hurt, but is really not needed.

It feeds the micro organisms in the soil, the plant does not take it up as is, the molecules are too big to be absorbed by the roots. After the micro organisms break it down, THEN it is absorbed.

DD

Hey Droop, how is the molasses beneficial in veg ? I understand how it adds during flowering as far as increased resin production and heavier buds. Thanks for any clarification.

It feeds the beneficial bacteria and fungi in the soil which in turn break down the nutrients so the plant can absorb them better.

That's it pretty much in a nutshell.:yummy:

It doesn't make buds 'sweeter' or add taste or anything other than by helping the plant better absorb and utilize nutrients due to the actions of the bacteria and fungi.

It feeds the soil, not the plant and a well fed soil is good throughout the grow, not just flowering.

DD

Okay that sounds good, but it made me think of another question or 2.

If the molasses is helping the bacteria in the soil break down the nutes better, then will the molasses have any effect on excess salts and stuff in the soil that causes nute lockout?

And does molasses change anything as far as flushing the soil goes? I assume I'd still flush for a week or 2 at the end of flowering, molasses or not.

Grandma's is fine, it's the unsulphured part that's important.

I use 1 tablespoon/gallon once a week. More won't hurt, but is really not needed.

It feeds the micro organisms in the soil, the plant does not take it up as is, the molecules are too big to be absorbed by the roots. After the micro organisms break it down, THEN it is absorbed.

DD
I respectfully disagree on the unsulphured part . Ive always understood molasses was used because the sulphur content and what sets it apart from using blue agave or corn syrup. Molasses thats given to livestock is sulphured and as we all know sulphur is beneficial to plant life . Most any farm supply center has sulphured molasses and its not near the cost of some brand name nutrient stripped syrup sold in grocery stores .

I respectfully disagree on the unsulphured part . Ive always understood molasses was used because the sulphur content and what sets it apart from using blue agave or corn syrup. Molasses thats given to livestock is sulphured and as we all know sulphur is beneficial to plant life . Most any farm supply center has sulphured molasses and its not near the cost of some brand name nutrient stripped syrup sold in grocery stores .
People figure that it has to be 'unsulphured' because that is what they find in the baking section at the supermarket. But, it can be sulphured which is a lot cheaper. I doubt that a farmer is going to spend the money on the unsulphured when he or she can get the same benefits for a lot, lot less money. For those of us in the cities or urban areas it will be easier to get this molasses from the supermarket but most of the time it will be in a small bottle. Or drive out into the country side and stop by at a farmer's co-op and buy it by the gallon for the same price or less.

Farmers and gardeners can use the molasses as part of a fertilizing program for their plants. The sugars feed the micro-organisms in the soil and those in turn feed the plants. The plant roots do not take in the sugars directly but wait for the soil organisms to eat the sugar first.

I believe that the Blackstrap molasses is made towards the end of the process for making the molasses most of us find in the supermarket. For people making a cookie or cake recipe it is best to not use 'blackstrap' unless the recipe specifically calls for it. I have some of the sulphured molasses from a farmer's co-op in a half gallon jug and the taste is not as sweet as un-sulphured and it is not as smooth. The soil organisms do not care about the taste; they just want the sugars which in turn will feed the plant.

Back
Top Bottom