Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing large fan leaves during flowering - a good idea or not?

420 Member

Removing large fan leaves during flowering - a good idea or not?

My Bubba OG and Granddaddy Purple plants are 40 days into flower. I'm seeing lots of nice buds on all the branches. One thing that is happening, is that the many large fan leaves coming off the plant frequently lay over top of buds, thus putting them in partial shade.

One of my local "experts" says that the large fan leaves should be removed to get the buds in full light, and the little leaves that are directly connected to the buds are the leaves that need full light because THEY are the ones that fuel bud growth.

It kind of makes sense, but this genius has been wrong about growing these plants before.

Any thoughts on this?

Re: Removing large fan leaves during flowering - a good idea or not?

Hello at 40 days your coming up on harvest real soon what I do is just remove the lower ones and some of the leaves close to the buds. the fan leaves are still needed up to the last day or two.

420 Member

Sounds like this 'genius' is wrong again. LOL

Leaves are like solar panels. What is going to give you more juice, the huge ones that are mounted on a roof or a 6"x9" one used to charge AAA batteries?

Do you cut the leaves off an apple tree because the apples are in the shade?

It's your plant, but I'd think about it before you get happy with the snips.

DD
    If you own 28 different foods, 65 different additives and 14 jugs of molasses and not one single book on plants, then that is the problem. WB

It's not the bow, it's the Indian. unkn

------- wraps it up here Nicely,

Do I remove Fan Leaves?

420 Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
    ------- wraps it up here Nicely,

Do I remove Fan Leaves?
    Well said!!!!!!!!!

DD
    If you own 28 different foods, 65 different additives and 14 jugs of molasses and not one single book on plants, then that is the problem. WB

It's not the bow, it's the Indian. unkn

420 Member

Okay, I'll leave the leaves alone. Throughout flowering, I've been taking out dead leaves and leaves that had turned fully yellow, but I've left the green leaves alone.

What does it mean when a big leaf turns yellow all over? It's getting ready to fall off on its own?

Correct...the plant has cannibalized the nutrients from that particular leaf and it will soon be dead. You can give yellow leaves a slight tug and if the plant is done with them they will come off rather easily. But as a side note I've had yellow leaves that refused to come off for quite some time, unless they're blocking light to something more important I tend to leave them because apparently the plant isn't quite done with them yet.

On Vacation

I have read however that if you have a fan leaf shading what a could be a fairly large bud site many growers will prune lightly to make sure every budsite is getting direct light and not remaining in shade one article I read recommended pruning no more then 10% of fan leaves after 3 weeks and then removing the dying leaves when they are halfway yellow as once they are in a excess stage of death they will sap energy to remain alive instead of generating any. But your best way to really tell is to experiemtn with your plantsand find out what eah strain likes the most at each stage of life.

I was under the strong impression that the buds do not synthesize light in to energy and that sunlight destroys THC...so exposing them to light doesn't make sense, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

On Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Neutrino View Post
    I was under the strong impression that the buds do not synthesize light in to energy and that sunlight destroys THC...so exposing them to light doesn't make sense, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    There are smaller leaves on the bud that generate enerrgy and help it to mature, take forinstance the lower buds on a plant how they usually dont fully mature as they are shaded by the upper levels of the plant.

Ah, the "sugar" leaves...that makes sense, thanks!

Well I learnt something about something i chopped about 6 off of........

The best education is from the people who do it, not the government.

------- nails it as does Cervantes 'Bible'. Again, the only exception would be, if in the third or forth week of flowering, there were inordinately large fans really blocking light, then maybe they could be removed. It would be preferable to simply move them without clipping. If, after careful planning, it's determined that a leaf should go, try not to remove more than one fan per plant. As for removing lower ones, don't. It's been explained, roughly, as the proximity of the leaves corresponding to that area of the plant. In other words, those fans attached to the cola feed it. The lower fans tend to feed the roots. Of course, they all are important during the flowering cycle as the plant begins to use starches/sugars for fuel.

Its funny how we try to imitate nature as best we can and then second guess nature. I am no expert but I have always let the plant do what it is supposed to. Never worried and usually get a good harvest.
    basement grower,Mi med card holder,lover of the greeeeeeeennnnnn!!

All the people I take advice from around here say different, they take all but the top 2 sets of fan leaves. Have heard from many different people to do this to increase bud size and yield. I haven't gotten it just right yet, but I'm trying.

The idea is that those huge lower fan leaves are just sucking more nutrients from the plant and not photosynthesizing hardly anything since they are inches below the upper canopy and not receiving much light. So they are essentially doing nothing yet the plant is being forced to keep feeding these huge leaves to keep them healthy instead of diverting that extra energy to the buds.

I know the theory that it takes the plants longer to recover from the stress of taking her leaves, and in the end hurts the yield, but I disagree. While I do think that it stresses the plant for a day or two, when they come back they come back with an increased vigor. Like pissed off bees, and they keep it up.

If your a soil grower I think it benefits to trim at least some inner fan leaves so that light can reach the soil. This helps to dry it out faster and keep a healthier environment IMO. You can then feed more often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast