Counting the flowering weeks

Do you count your weeks of flowering from the day you switch to 12/12?

Or do you count the weeks from the first day you see white hairs?

and when out doors, how do you count the weeks? 12/12 doesn't even start for almost 3 more weeks.

Start your counting in bloom after you see penny size bud sites developed. After the flip each plants regardless of genetics, will stretch a little more or less based on the genetic and environment. If the description said the strain finishes in 8 weeks, at week 6 check the trichome for colors, and flush for 1-2 weeks. Harvesting is based on trichome colors for the kind of high you want. Let the plant develop buds for at least 6 weeks before checking.

For outdoors you'll leave that up to nature. Would apply the same count with penny size bud sites development. The only thing you can control is harvesting time, rely on the signs of trichomes. Good luck!

In my outdoor setup, I start counting weeks after I see more than a couple white hairs shoot out. Can't really speak on indoor light flipping, but from what I've found, those breeder timelines are really just generalities.

Each individual girl will be ready when she is good and ready.

I count from the first day of 12/12. That way I get an accurate harvest date by measuring the # of days of the stretch period.

But from reading the flowering periods listed on some seedbank descriptions, I guess sometimes breeders will figure it from the first appearance of pistils(*). Or perhaps they like to harvest early so that their heavily indica-influenced bud doesn't put them to sleep. Or maybe they just want to sell more seeds.

Outdoor growing is different, since you aren't faced with a stable amount of light/dark but instead have shorter daylight hours as the date gets later. And the amount is going to be different depending on what latitude you are at. Best bet is to watch the visible development and start checking trichomes. As you know if you've ever grown outdoors, they'll start flowering when there is less than 12 hours of uninterrupted darkness and increase the "rate of flowering" as that amount grows. The exact requirement of dark hours for flowering varies by strain. In any case, if you can get a strain to flower under, say, ten hours of darkness it will finish quicker if you instead flower under 12 or 14 hours of darkness (but will produce less).

(*) Then again, that isn't likely because plants start showing pistils as soon as they are mature enough to produce "pre-"flowers. Mine have been showing since March or April, lol - and they're still weeks away from me switching to a flowering schedule.

Back
Top Bottom