Male or Female preflowers?

Ella

Hi guys i'm new to this forum. And English is not my first language so excuse me if i make some mistakes :winkyface:
I got 2 plants and i think one of them is a female and another male, but since it's my first time i want to make it sure.
First plant suspected female
IMG_066832.JPG

IMG_066528.JPG

IMG_066325.JPG

IMG_065629.JPG

And suspected male
IMG_067222.JPG

IMG_067832.JPG

Thanks a lot!

The last 2 pics might be male, but I would give it a couple days and check again to confirm. There will be no risk of pollen for a while, so no worries in waiting.

The first 4 pics I'm unsure.
IMG_0668321.JPG

The long, tall things are stipules. I have circled what appears to maybe be a pistil and calyx. If you could get another picture of that location with the best focus you possibly can, it could help.

This is what a tiny female preflower will look like:
2014-06-24_13-35-13_7401.jpg

Thanks for answer! Think i figured it out, i moved what i think its pistil a little bit and my camera could catch it now. It's so tiny.
IMG_072522.JPG

IMG_072426.JPG

IMG_071922.JPG

IMG_070924.JPG

About the other plant wasn't sure enough if i should keep it for a few more days to check again, but after what you've told me i sure will.

Yeah, when they're just starting to show sex like that, the calyxes and pistils are REALLY small. Without really looking over your plants closely it's easy to miss. So you're doing a good job being observant so far in your grow! That definitely looks like a female now.

The other plant does resemble male pollen sacs, but we want to be 100% sure. Nobody wants to lose a good female plant, so we'll wait 1-2 days and take another look.

Even though i was looking at tons of female preflower pictures i wasn't confident enough to say that it is actually a pistil beacuse it is so small. Thanks for clearing it out, i appreciate your help. :thanks:
I will post pictures in a few days when other plant shows its preflower more clearly.

Here it is, i'm sure this is a male now. My camera is really bad and it was a pain to catch it, but i think i made it visible. Plant started showing it on younger branches.
WP_20140824_010.jpg

WP_20140824_008.jpg

WP_20140824_006.jpg

WP_20140824_002-001.jpg

WP_20140824_004.jpg

Other plant showed pistils on younger branches today too and it's 100% female :blushsmile:
IMG_0776-001.JPG

I was looking at it for an hour before i decided to cut the plant. It really did look like a 100% male to me. I was trying to find at least a little white hair out of all that "balls" but there was noone. I hope i didn't do a mistake cutting it.
I also tried to take closer picture but they all came out so blurry, sorry.
Thank you for helping me and wish you all the best!

As long as you're sure, that's what counts. You had a much better view than I did, and with not seeing pistils, it definitely sounds male. Female plants all have pistils just like your other girl.

I only ask for very detailed pictures so I can be 1000000% positive. I would hate to make a mistake on a picture and have someone cut down a perfectly good female plant.

I'm happy that I could help, good luck on your grow! You might want to make a grow journal and keep track of your progress, and show off your plant to other growers also.

I know and thanks. I'm not going to make a journal beacause leak of time, but in case you or anybody who stoped by was wondering how does my plant actually looks like here are some pics of her :) I'm using CFL lights.
IMG_113017.JPG
IMG_112821.JPG

IMG_111115.JPG

IMG_110327.JPG

Make sure you keep the lights as close as you can without touching. About 5-10cm between plant and bulb is good. And if you have bulbs for the sides it will help.

I'm finishing a grow with all CFLs also.. First plant was 30.82 grams.
Second plant is still growing, and has maybe 1-2 weeks left. But it should be at least 40-45 grams.

Keep up the good work. But next time, start a journal, it helps you remember when you last gave water, nutes, etc.. It's a good place to put all your growing information, and a nice way to show off your hard work.

Thanks for your advice, i'm already keeping lights as close as i can, actually they were at about 2 cm from the plant untill i accidentally split the "Y" stem by LST-ing her, had to untie her and move to the bigger grow place. Now there is about 10 cm space beetwen light and plant. She is doing good and i think she didn't even notice that split. I covered it with electric tape and everything was and still is ok.
I don't have big expectations like having a huge yield, i'll be very happy just to see her finished succesfully.
Checked your journal and you are doing a great work, keep it up aswell. I might keep an eye on your journal till the end if i catch up some time.

Well after your first yield, you'll want more for your second... and after that, you want more for your third lol.

My first yields were 8.55 and 9.07 grams. CFL grow
First plant on second grow is 30.82 grams, and the second will be at least 42-45 grams. CFL grow.
Third? I want at least 70 grams from 1 plant. :) LED grow.

Just keep practicing, and your yields will get better on their own.

I see some people do 30 grams with HPS. So what i don't understand is ..
People keep saying that CFL doesn't work well for growing (at least at my place). But again there is so much jornals proving that it is actually possible. Ofcourse i do agree that HPS, MH or LED could do much better (maybe faster) job and possibly have bigger yield but CFL is not so bad. Many tried to scare me at the begining but i see it going, and i belive it will go till the end. I think it is more about the grower, care and stuff.
8 grams is good too, and even better when you know it's yours and that you've made it :cheer:
30-40 grams is wow and i would like to see mine going that way. Well everything is possible. Let's see. In about 5-7 weeks
But i'll try and not be greedy if i start next grow and next and next. :blushsmile:

I read people say the same things online. And after my first grow, I thought maybe they were right. So I wanted to try again, and so far I'm happy with the results. I know I could get more with HPS or LED, but not everyone has the budget for those lights, fans, or the cost of the power.

One big difference I see is HID or LED systems can help produce more trichomes, but my Power Flower works and does exactly what it should do when smoked. I have no regrets about growing with CFL. From what I read online, it seems the average CFL yields people are getting are 7-20 grams, and I have above average, so I would say it's a success.

And yes 8 grams is very good, especially if you don't smoke much, it's also a great feeling to sit down and relax, and smoke a little of your own plant. It's a great feeling after all the work you've done.

For the first grow, always just focus on learning how to grow a healthy plant. Some training is good to work on too during the first grow. Once you learn those things, a good yield, and quality Cannabis just follows. After the first grow, you know what to do for most things, so the second grow is easier, and allows you to do more for training, lights, etc.. since your focus is more on giving the plant what she needs, instead of worrying about the plant dying lol.

Keep on going, you're doing great for a first plant!

Back
Top Bottom