What is fox tailing and what causes it?

My plants are 41 days into flower and I've been noticing additional growth on the top of the main cola in a couple of my plants, as well as on the secondary colas. Since then, I've noticed references on here to fox tailing and this kinda looks like a fox tail.

I thought my plants had stopped growing and the buds were fattening and hardening but now it looks like they are stretching again. Is this normal or have I done something to cause this. Should I expect the buds to fill back in again at some point?

Thanks!!

Harry

so when med mj said There comes a cut-off time to harvest with these is the foxtailing goes on and on. what does he mean by that cuz this same thing happend to me

Fox tailing is mandatory for all my plants in my garden before I harvest. It is when the buds start getting new growth. Yes the trichs will still change color. I don't like to harvest any of my plants unless they foxtail. That to me is a sign that they are maturing and starting to get ripe. A fully mature plant will have a more flavorful and potent smoke. Just like a mature tomato has a much better and flavorful tast than a non mature.

so when med mj said There comes a cut-off time to harvest with these is the foxtailing goes on and on. what does he mean by that cuz this same thing happend to me

The cut off time to harvest is when your trics are amber and your buds are no longer growing.

I would forget about what the seed companies say about flowering time. I think seed companies overestimate the time a plant finishes. I just harvested some Vanilla Kush. The seed company said 7 to 8 weeks for flower. I ended up going 16 weeks. All my plants had beautiful foxtails. I ended up with a little over a pound of potent bud. If I would have harvested prefoxtail at 7 to 8 weeks. I would have ended up with about half the harvest and a less potent bud.;)

i thought if a plant foxtails to much it will produce male flowers :scratchinghead: i think thats how they make female seeds i know i read something about that i could be wrong tho

i thought if a plant foxtails to much it will produce male flowers :scratchinghead: i think thats how they make female seeds i know i read something about that i could be wrong tho

I am not an expert by any means. However, I do not know how the plant could produce male flowers without being polinated by a male plant.

The buds that I have that are foxtailed are bigger and more potent than when harvested prefoxtail. That is what I have found.

I sure wish I know how to make female seeds though!!!!

I agree with waiting the extra weeks. I don't believe in the clear/cloudy/amber system for checking ripeness. I want to see all pistols retract into the calyxs and I want to see foxtails. For me, this is about 10 weeks give or take.

Got the same thing going on here with a couple plants that are 8 weeks into flower. I thought they were done and started to flush for harvest. Trichs were 80% cloudy, 20% clear when it started. I looked the other day, and the trichs are now about 60% clear, 40% cloudy. WTF. I didn't know anything about this happening.

I guess I'll just keep watering w/PH'ed water and molasses.Buds have added another 15-20 percent of mass since this started.:confused:

Im 41 days flower as Harry was.. Seeing the same thing with one of my plants. Good to hear. Figured it was more of a bud maturing thing, wasn't fearing anything bad, glad I was correct. More foxtails more potent fatter yield I assume :thumb:

20150823_171417.jpg

I think that's what I got goin on too but this 1 is only on day 34 of flower
20150823_171216.jpg
20150823_171417.jpg

Back
Top Bottom