Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What to do with hermaphrodite?

Re: What to do with hermaphrodite?

Quote Originally Posted by Stix View Post
    think of it like human beings. Male humans produce sperm while Male plants produce pollen. Female Humans produce eggs while Female plants produce Bud. The only way the Female Human can produce offspring is by getting fertilized by the male sperm. The only way Female plants can produce seeds is by getting fertilized by male pollen.

exception to the rule would be hermaphrodite. In nature an occurence can sometimes happen by a female plant towards the end of the flowering phase when the female plant still hasnt received its pollen it can actually create it's own by becoming a hermaphrodite. This way it can fertilize itself and produce seeds. It's natures last ditch effort to keep the species alive. These seeds will be female because it came from a plant that only has female genetics.

If a plant becomes hermaphrodite because of unusual stresses IE. Malnutrition and heat. then it can become hermaphrodite in a negative way which can possilby cause the seeds to have hermaphrodite tendancies.

Hope this helps clear up some things.

where u stated that theres basically 2 ways hermies happen which is the natural way and the stressed way.
    And the natural way is a last ditch effort to produce seeds which are usually fem. My question is what is the percentage of female plants that would turn hermie out of say 10 plants and what causes the plant to go hermie naturally? Is it over maturating the plant or genetic related or what. The reason Im asking is I want to try and turn a clone only plant into seeds for easy transportation but I dont want the seeds to be genetically predisposed to being hermies, or be cross breed with anything. Any help u can give me would be greatly appreciated and what ever u reply with I will post on the forum for anyone else interested in the information and again thank you.

Hi Chaps,Im a newbie at this and had 4 great looking flowering plants but one of them on week 3 started showing seeds.i did not realise it would ruin the entire crop.(Doh)Looks like im starting all over again.is it worth continueing untill harves to keep for smoking or should i bin everything including the seeds.(learn from your mistakes and all that.(GUTTED) :(

Question Re: What to do with hermaphrodite?

Ok, my three flowering plants: one 100% female, one half and half, one all pollen sacs. I am sure they were all female but turned hermaphrodite. The pollen is as thick as smoke at a bob marley concert. Now the buds are producing what looks like seeds.
    Swell.
    Are the seeds going to be female? Will they produce simsemilla plants?
    Will the 1,000,000,000 bits of pollen pollinize all plants I grow in that room for infinity? How long will this pollen remain viable?
    Do I have to burn down the grow room to get rid of the pollen or am I safe to start flowering new plants?

If one is all pollen sacs its a male. . . Any pollen from the hermi plant that made a seed is a femenized seed, any pollen from the male is a normal seed. . . I'd hack them down and start over.

As for the pollen I would clean the room and spray a lot of water, any pollen that comes in contact with the water is sterile after doing so. Wish you got a pic of all that pollen flyin around.
    Smoke buds with your buds
    -Me

"Its better to have known puff and to have lost it than to have never puffed at all"
    -Buttercup

Quote Originally Posted by Brett2theMax View Post
    If one is all pollen sacs its a male. . . Any pollen from the hermi plant that made a seed is a femenized seed, any pollen from the male is a normal seed. . . I'd hack them down and start over.

As for the pollen I would clean the room and spray a lot of water, any pollen that comes in contact with the water is sterile after doing so. Wish you got a pic of all that pollen flyin around.
    I would swear the all three were females. It all seemed to happen so fast I got caught suprised. The pollen was so thick you could write your name in the air. So you think these seed will be worthless?
    How long will the pollen I can't clean up be viable? Like, eons, i'll bet.

I'll take some pics if I move them.

Oh!, What about the vegitation room. Those plants and the young'uns got a little on em too. Can I just rinse them off?

Thanks

Just rinse off the vegging plants, I wouldn't mess with the seeds. I'd cut everything now to be honest. It sucks seeing your work go down like that but it happens from time to time, its part of the hobby of gardening. Plants of all kinds get sic and die or can go a wry some how. Don't take it to heart, just use it as a learning experience.
    -Me

"Its better to have known puff and to have lost it than to have never puffed at all"
    -Buttercup

Quote Originally Posted by Erk202 View Post
    so males only produce male seeds, and female only produce female seeds?
    No.. not at all..Like us the males have pollen (like sperm) and females have the buds. If the buds get pollen on them at all they will go to seed. Females have seeds that could be either male or female. Hermaphrodites are plants with both male and female reproductive parts. When a hermaphrodite is fertilized by its own pollen the seeds will be 100% female.. Thats how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Easyitgoes View Post
    No.. not at all..Like us the males have pollen (like sperm) and females have the buds. If the buds get pollen on them at all they will go to seed. Females have seeds that could be either male or female. Hermaphrodites are plants with both male and female reproductive parts. When a hermaphrodite is fertilized by its own pollen the seeds will be 100% female.. Thats how it goes!
    Yes....but will those seeds when planted be more prone to hermie if stressed then say a regular un-feminized. I do beleive that feminized will hermie easier.....is this info correct? someone clarify for me.

Cona

Most femenized seeds are susceptible to hermi traits in the genetics but if you pay good money for seeds they are stable for the most part. If you have issues with plants hermaphrodizing then you need to fix the reason why they are doing it not fix the genetics. If you get a stronger plant that does not hermi int he same conditions I assure you that it is still enduring the stress and therefore is not growing to its full potential.
    -Me

-Buttercup

The seeds do sprout. We'll see if they are all female.

Hey everyone... Im first time grower , ive seven plants which are in week 3 of flowering but ive notice that one plant is after growing some male sacks even tho
    there is female flowers on it aswell.
    My question is would the plant flower into buds if i simply cut off the few male sacks before they open?? Or would it be better to grow it away from the other pplants

Mate, Get it out now.If one of those sacks opens you will ruin the lot.Trust me.Been there on my first grow.

Quote Originally Posted by saabturbz View Post
    Mate, Get it out now.If one of those sacks opens you will ruin the lot.Trust me.Been there on my first grow.
    Cool thanks.... Its a pain in the ass tho because i was so sure they were all female... Agh well i suppose these things happeno
    Im so high i could eat a star

Thanks for the info . I'm growing from femnized seeds for the 1st time . Regular seeds befor now .I was really woried about the hermies. Can you just remove the branch that has pollen sacks ? These 4 girls are California Dreamen and are the best I've ever grown. Glad I finaly bought some good seeds. Starting bud cycle this wk. Sure don't want to lose one.

Quote Originally Posted by duck man View Post
    Thanks for the info . I'm growing from femnized seeds for the 1st time . Regular seeds befor now .I was really woried about the hermies. Can you just remove the branch that has pollen sacks ? These 4 girls are California Dreamen and are the best I've ever grown. Glad I finaly bought some good seeds. Starting bud cycle this wk. Sure don't want to lose one.
    Hey... I took my hermie out of my tent and moved it to another side of my property... I plucked off the actual pollen sacks before they opened and the plant is still ok, it is still producing nice buds.
    Im so high i could eat a star

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast