Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What to do with hermaphrodite?

What to do with hermaphrodite?

Just found out that 1 of the 5 females is a hermaphrodite. What should I do with it? I took it out of the grow closet as of right now. Should I let it keep growing in its own grow box? Or should i pitch it?

Blog Entries

Re: What to do with hermaphrodite?

I like to refer to the hermaphrodites as SHIMS I just found a hermaphrodite and put her back into my veg closet and keeping SHIM going until summer. Once summer rolls around I am going to put her outside and let it ride. You do get bud from the plant and I could always use the smoke I would keep it away from your flowering area unless you want a bunch of seeded herb
    In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity -

Hunter S. Thompson

Any seeds from a herm female will be female. Some say that those seeds will have a tendancy to become a herm plant as well. I definately wouldnt say that's always true or even normally true. In fact from my experience I would say the opposite is true. I've grown alot of seeds over the past years from herm plants and ended up with 100% healthy female plants. From my experience, Herm plants don't fertilize the entire room. Usually they only fertilize itself and a few plants close to it. If you do have a herm I suggest you move it away from the other plants and dont have a fan blowing on it unless ofcourse you want alot of female seeds.
    Last edited by Stix; 12-31-2008 at 01:55 PM.

I didn't wait for peoples responses. I took the plant out of the grow space and since i dont have more space to keep it alive, I killed the plant. I trimmed off the leaves and hung it upside down to dry out. I'm sure there will only MAYBE 2-3 grams of bud. Mainly just lots of white hairs with crystals.

Keep it and harvest the seeds dude...............100% females

I wish I would of check this out yesterday cause my female turn hermie on and and I just Harvested her. I wish I could of keep the seeds.

are seeds from a hermaphrodite more likely to produce hermaphrodites or just feminine seeds?

Quote Originally Posted by night_neo View Post
    are seeds from a hermaphrodite more likely to produce hermaphrodites or just feminine seeds?
    Here's what Stix said..

Quote Originally Posted by Stix View Post
    Any seeds from a herm female will be female. Some say that those seeds will have a tendancy to become a herm plant as well. I definately wouldnt say that's always true or even normally true. In fact from my experience I would say the opposite is true. I've grown alot of seeds over the past years from herm plants and ended up with 100% healthy female plants.

Any seeds from a herm female will be female. Some say that those seeds will have a tendancy to become a herm plant as well. I definately wouldnt say that's always true or even normally true. In fact from my experience I would say the opposite is true. I've grown alot of seeds over the past years from herm plants and ended up with 100% healthy female plants. From my experience, Herm plants don't fertilize the entire room. Usually they only fertilize itself and a few plants close to it. If you do have a herm I suggest you move it away from the other plants and dont have a fan blowing on it unless ofcourse you want alot of female seeds.
    Great info.

Q's:
    1. But how can you tell, if you have a male Herm. or a Fem herm.

2. Does Male plants grow female seeds ? (sorry if that sounded dumb, but i just wanna get a clear up on it)

Hairs for female, pollen sacks for male. If both show it's prob a hermie. When the pollen sacks open and dust the buds with hairs, it will grow a seed. I mistakenly pollinated a few buds and saw seeds grow. But if they're feminized, its cool with me if it's only a few here and there.

Talking Re: What to do with hermaphrodite?

Fucc dude, It's like you guys looked in my grow space this morning. But yeah dude i found a hermie in my crop 2day. I'm glad i read this because i was goin 2 cut them down. But if the seeds are going 2 be female 100% then hell yeah bro, I'm going to keep the plant and the seeds. Because it's super bomb bud. It's a hybrid(og kush& Pure kush) It's kick ass bro.The high is Great. I love 420 mag. For the Info you get from fello stoner's . Peace and love.And may "Jah" Bless us all.

so males only produce male seeds, and female only produce female seeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Erk202 View Post
    so males only produce male seeds, and female only produce female seeds?
    think of it like human beings. Male humans produce sperm while Male plants produce pollen. Female Humans produce eggs while Female plants produce Bud. The only way the Female Human can produce offspring is by getting fertilized by the male sperm. The only way Female plants can produce seeds is by getting fertilized by male pollen.

exception to the rule would be hermaphrodite. In nature an occurence can sometimes happen by a female plant towards the end of the flowering phase when the female plant still hasnt received its pollen it can actually create it's own by becoming a hermaphrodite. This way it can fertilize itself and produce seeds. It's natures last ditch effort to keep the species alive. These seeds will be female because it came from a plant that only has female genetics.

If a plant becomes hermaphrodite because of unusual stresses IE. Malnutrition and heat. then it can become hermaphrodite in a negative way which can possilby cause the seeds to have hermaphrodite tendancies.

Hope this helps clear up some things.
    Last edited by Stix; 01-10-2009 at 05:51 PM.

think of it like human beings. Male humans produce sperm while Male plants produce pollen. Female Humans produce eggs while Female plants produce Bud. The only way the Female Human can produce offspring is by getting fertilized by the male sperm. The only way Female plants can produce seeds is by getting fertilized by male pollen.

exception to the rule would be hermaphrodite. In nature an occurence can sometimes happen by a female plant towards the end of the flowering phase when the female plant still hasnt received its pollen it can actually create it's own by becoming a hermaphrodite. This way it can fertilize itself and produce seeds. It's natures last ditch effort to keep the species alive. These seeds will be female because it came from a plant that only has female genetics.

If a plant becomes hermaphrodite because of unusual stresses IE. Malnutrition and heat. then it can become hermaphrodite in a negative way which can possilby cause the seeds to have hermaphrodite tendancies.

Hope this helps clear up some things.
    that pretty much cleared it up for me, i thought plants produce differ from humans, guess its the same almost.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast