Advice on a 10 X 10 grow room.

PerpetualNoob

The wife & I are medical marijuana users and we intend to adhere to all the restrictions of Amendment 20 in Colorado. So we're allowed to keep up to 12 plants, 6 of which can be flowering. Neither of us has ever grown marijuana successfully. I may have pulled a hemp plant out of a ditch in college and proceed to kill it in a make shift hydro setup in my closet. :laughtwo:

So I have a little experience in how badly things will go if you don't do your homework. I've been lurking here for a few weeks trying to come up with a plan so it goes a little better this time.

Basically we're looking to setup a reliable, low maintenance setup that's capable of producing good yields that comes in under 2000W max power usage. Any advice you guys give would be very appreciated. Thanks for your time.

The room
----------
We're nearing completion on construction of a 10 X 10 grow room in the garage. Ceiling height is about 8 feet. My original plan was to cycle the plants so we are only harvesting two plants a month. This also gives us some leverage to totally botch a crop or two while we figure out what we're doing.

I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions on this plan before I go shopping for components (hopefully next week). There are still some parts I haven't worked out and other places where what I thought I could do is looking to be less likely.

Grow System
-------------

My original plan was to use a CAP Ebb & Grow system for all the plants. I figured the flowering plants could be placed in pots. I could stick a tray in a grow tent and rig it to run off the same reservoir and control bucket and then I started to investigate nutrient solutions and realized I can't run the plants on the same nutrient solution through their entire life cycle. So scrap that idea.

Would the CAP Ebb & Flow system still be a good choice for the flowering plants? Keep in mind this will only be six plants at a time. The CAP system seems to be designed for larger operations.

I've seen some designs for DIY clone boxes that look like they would work for the cloning and vegging operation. I want to put that in a tent for the separate light cycles.

Lighting
--------

I looked into LEDs for the whole cycle as the garage is detached and I only have 120 w/ a 20 AMP breaker to play with at the moment but they don't look to be quite up to the task yet and the prices are down right shocking.

So I'm thinking a 1,000W HPS for the flowering plants and either CFLS or LEDs for the veg & clone tent. My plans for the veg tent are less developed as the first grow I should have some clones lined up that are already vegged to about 18".

Ventilation
--------------

I'm looking at using 3 400 CFM inline fans. One will be dedicated to cooling the 1,000W light. One will pull fresh air into the room from the outside and the other will exhaust the room through a carbon filter. We're not trying to be absolutely secretive with the operation but at the same time I'd rather my neighbors not hear the garage humming all night or smell what's going on inside.

Is that going to be enough ventilation? My rough calculation of the cubic feet is around 1,000. (The room is slightly larger than 10 X 10) I can get precise measurements if need be. I'm not sure if those fans will be ample circulation. Our temperatures here rarely go much above 90 but I'm not sure how much extra heat that light will bring in.

Will the veg tent need a fan on it? I'm looking into LEDs or CFLs so heat won't be much of an issue but will their be ample airflow for the plants if I just leave a few vents open?

Grow cycle
-----------

3 plants per batch.

So the 1st month we'll take our 3 vegged and ready to grow clones and throw them in the Ebb & Flow. Start the 2nd batch cloning and then they go in the veg box once they root.

2nd month rolls around 3 plants come out of the box and start flowering with the original 3. New clones cut from the existing plants go in the box.

3rd month and we harvest the first batch, pull more clones out of the box, and repeat.

It sounded great at first. Small harvests so we aren't overwhelmed by the trimming job and it gives us a chance to screw up and not be at the mercy of a dispensary until the next harvest. But that doesn't allow for any changes on the nutrients throughout the flowering process. Is that a major problem? I've read about using different nutrients in the last couple weeks of flowering and the like but nutrients is one area I need to study more.

It also doesn't give you an opportunity to break down the Ebb & grow system and clean it out.

Would we be better off planning on running the six plants flowering on the same cycle so they are all at the same stage of development and we could break down and clean up the hydro system between crops?

Thanks again folks. I'm excited for my first grow and I'd really hate to kill another innocent plant. OK, I don't want to kill them before their nice and potent. :smokin:

Hey PN

I would do a 4 x 4 table with the 1000w hps....you could get away with 600w as you're only doing 6 plants. 250mh for moms and some fluros for clones. That would put you well under 2000watts for lights and everything!:thumb:

A 600w should net you 12oz to start and around 21oz once you have things dialed in!:goodluck:

I'm looking at using 3 400 CFM inline fans. One will be dedicated to cooling the 1,000W light. One will pull fresh air into the room from the outside and the other will exhaust the room through a carbon filter. We're not trying to be absolutely secretive with the operation but at the same time I'd rather my neighbors not hear the garage humming all night or smell what's going on inside.

not sure how your working that but sounds like enough.

If you have to stay within a 12 plant limit then I would keep one mom going as long as possible while switching 5 and 6 plant grows. so that you can clean in between but that just takes half a day .

For new growers I recommend soil not hydro. Hydro you can destroy a crop in a matter of hours, soil acts as a buffer and would usually require days to totally mess up a crop. In hydro you are going to need to purchase all the test meters to get it right, in soil you can do fairly well without them at first till you decide to fine tune the operation.
A 1000w is probably your best bet to get quantity but be aware they run very hot, so you may need an AC unit to mange temp.
Your ventitlation should be fine as far as plant health is concerned but may not be enough to cool the room and keep the temps below 80. Anything above 80 and your plants will start to suffer unless you add in CO2.
You'll find your grow cycle will have be revamped as you go. STrains fgrow at differnet rates, sometimes cloning takes longer than anticipated and till you get experienced you may lose quite a few clones. Vegging is usually about a month depending on how big you want your plants to get. Flowering time varies depending on conditions.
Its all aprt of the learning experience and its an enjoyable education if you don't allow the little hicups to get to you.

When I started a year ago, i bought an Ebb and Gro as it seemed like the best "goof" proof hydro out there. There is a lot of info on this site and others to speed up the learning curve.

BUT, the E&G is still in the garage. Soil is so forgiving and we have had such great success that I don't think we will go hydro. We average 6-7 oz per plant so don't want to change a thing.

Good luck whatever direction you go but do your HOMEWORK.

LUCY

Good luck whatever direction you go but do your HOMEWORK.

That's why I'm here.

Thanks for the lighting and ventilation advice LED. I think I may go with the 1000 W light though. If the first few harvests go well we may try to do some work as caretakers so the extra wattage could be useful down the road. I think it just fits under our power requirements and I'm not above running a heavy gauge extension cord to the garage until I can get an electrician in there to add some more circuits if we do have trouble.

I'll definitely look into soil. If its easier, and cheaper to get into, its probably a no brainer for our first grow. I'm starting to question the "wisdom" of the guy who told us to go hydro. I think maybe he wants us to test out an ebb & flow system as he's never used one.

I am tempted to play with hydro anyway. It just seems cooler than growing in soil but I can probably get over that and make the smart choice. But if I don't get over the itch to get a new toy to tinker with, the testing equipment you're talking about is a PH tester, PPM tester and a spa thermometer correct? Is there anything else I might need to test a hydro system?

And AC? I don't even have AC in my house! High temps rarely get over 90 and we have very low humidity so it stays comfortable. These plants are gonna live better than I do!

The temps definitely will go above 80 during the day when I plan to have the lights off but hopefully won't get above 95 and only reach peaks for a few hours in the afternoon. Our temps drop pretty rapidly in the evening so hopefully the added heat from the 1000W won't be an issue. I've already got a thermometer and humidity weather station to keep tabs on the conditions in the room. If it looks bad, we'll look at putting in AC.

How big of an impact will that have on the plants? I've also never heard of adding CO2 to protect plants from high heat. How does that work? I'm not doubting you, I've just never heard of it.

The wife & I are medical marijuana users and we intend to adhere to all the restrictions of Amendment 20 in Colorado. So we're allowed to keep up to 12 plants, 6 of which can be flowering. Neither of us has ever grown marijuana successfully. I may have pulled a hemp plant out of a ditch in college and proceed to kill it in a make shift hydro setup in my closet. :laughtwo:

So I have a little experience in how badly things will go if you don't do your homework. I've been lurking here for a few weeks trying to come up with a plan so it goes a little better this time.

Basically we're looking to setup a reliable, low maintenance setup that's capable of producing good yields that comes in under 2000W max power usage. Any advice you guys give would be very appreciated. Thanks for your time.

The room
----------
We're nearing completion on construction of a 10 X 10 grow room in the garage. Ceiling height is about 8 feet. My original plan was to cycle the plants so we are only harvesting two plants a month. This also gives us some leverage to totally botch a crop or two while we figure out what we're doing.

I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions on this plan before I go shopping for components (hopefully next week). There are still some parts I haven't worked out and other places where what I thought I could do is looking to be less likely.

Grow System
-------------

My original plan was to use a CAP Ebb & Grow system for all the plants. I figured the flowering plants could be placed in pots. I could stick a tray in a grow tent and rig it to run off the same reservoir and control bucket and then I started to investigate nutrient solutions and realized I can't run the plants on the same nutrient solution through their entire life cycle. So scrap that idea.

Would the CAP Ebb & Flow system still be a good choice for the flowering plants? Keep in mind this will only be six plants at a time. The CAP system seems to be designed for larger operations.

I've seen some designs for DIY clone boxes that look like they would work for the cloning and vegging operation. I want to put that in a tent for the separate light cycles.

Lighting
--------

I looked into LEDs for the whole cycle as the garage is detached and I only have 120 w/ a 20 AMP breaker to play with at the moment but they don't look to be quite up to the task yet and the prices are down right shocking.

So I'm thinking a 1,000W HPS for the flowering plants and either CFLS or LEDs for the veg & clone tent. My plans for the veg tent are less developed as the first grow I should have some clones lined up that are already vegged to about 18".

Ventilation
--------------

Is that going to be enough ventilation? My rough calculation of the cubic feet is around 1,000. (The room is slightly larger than 10 X 10) I can get precise measurements if need be. I'm not sure if those fans will be ample circulation. Our temperatures here rarely go much above 90 but I'm not sure how much extra heat that light will bring in.

Will the veg tent need a fan on it? I'm looking into LEDs or CFLs so heat won't be much of an issue but will their be ample airflow for the plants if I just leave a few vents open?

Grow cycle
-----------

3 plants per batch.

So the 1st month we'll take our 3 vegged and ready to grow clones and throw them in the Ebb & Flow. Start the 2nd batch cloning and then they go in the veg box once they root.

2nd month rolls around 3 plants come out of the box and start flowering with the original 3. New clones cut from the existing plants go in the box.

3rd month and we harvest the first batch, pull more clones out of the box, and repeat.

It sounded great at first. Small harvests so we aren't overwhelmed by the trimming job and it gives us a chance to screw up and not be at the mercy of a dispensary until the next harvest. But that doesn't allow for any changes on the nutrients throughout the flowering process. Is that a major problem? I've read about using different nutrients in the last couple weeks of flowering and the like but nutrients is one area I need to study more.

It also doesn't give you an opportunity to break down the Ebb & grow system and clean it out.

Would we be better off planning on running the six plants flowering on the same cycle so they are all at the same stage of development and we could break down and clean up the hydro system between crops?

Thanks again folks. I'm excited for my first grow and I'd really hate to kill another innocent plant. OK, I don't want to kill them before their nice and potent. :smokin:

I would go with a 6 Bucket ebb and flood system , for lights you can use a pair of 400w lights on a balancer one a mh and one a hps this will provide better growth imo then a single 1000w light.

To be able to harvest 2 plants every month you will also require a mother closet and clone/veg chamber . I would light the mother with a single 125w 6500k cfl lamp in a bright wing reflector and for the clones/veg area a 250w 5000k full spectrum light . For cooling you will need a 450cfm exhaust fan to cool both lights and the closet making sure your carbon filter is outside the grow room. For intake a single 350cfm fan should suffice . If temperatures stay in the high 70's low 80's you will be fine if temperatures approach the mid 80's I would reccomend co2 enrichment as this will increase your yield and is a better expenditure over trying to lower the temp of the room to the mid to high 70's. Other then that you will need a good circulation fan for the large room and a couple of decent 6-8" fans in the closet.

The room
----------

Grow System
-------------

Lighting
--------

Ventilation
--------------

Grow cycle
-----------

3 plants per batch.

I would seriously consider a 8 pack waterfarm and 1000w switchable with 400cfm exhaust fan to cool it and 250cfm intake will keep temps down nicely well it does for me anyways in a 7 x 9 room but only using 6 x 5 of it. But you should consider soil or soiless in pots the first time lots more forgiving.

Oh how plans change. We've ditched the perpetual idea. It's just going to take too much investment and work to manage seperate reservoirs for the flowering room to facilitate different nute levels and flushing only some of the plants. We are still planning on vegging plants in a separate room so that we can try to keep the flowering room running continuously.

We also managed to snag some patients and up the total plant count to 42, 21 of which can be flowering so the size of the system has grown quite a bit. Currently only the flower room is in operation but the veg and cloning area is coming along nicely. I hope to fire it up in the next couple weeks.

To accommodate the larger operation the 10 x 10 area is now just the flowering room and veg, clone, reservoirs storage, etc has taken over the rest of the shed. Here's the basic layout presented with my stellar MS Paint skills.

Shed_Setup.jpg
[

Currently we're having heat issues. In the early spring we were doing great but night time temps went down to the low 30s so I had nice frigid outside air to play with. Now that night time temps aren't going below the 50s we're hitting mid to upper 80s at times in the flowering room. Too hot!

Currently the hoods are not laid out as in that picture. I'm going to move them to that configuration tonight. They're in an L shape with 3 across the room away from where the door is and the 4th in the back corner directly across from the door. The ducting runs through all 4 hoods and has 2 400 CFM inline fans in the ductwork. One pushing air after its pulled through the first hood and the other all the way at the other end pulling air through the hoods.

This setup works OK but the ducts have to make some pretty hefty bends to pull it off and the last hood in the line gets warm to the touch. So that's one heat source I want to eliminate. The other three stay cool to the touch.

So the hoods are going in a square with two separate duct lines, each with a 400 CFM fan pulling air through 2 hoods. All fresh air is pulled from directly inside an attic vent in the attic. I've tarped off the area to try and prevent hot exhaust air from finding its way back to the intakes.

Ballasts are installed in the attic and have a box fan blowing air across them. The carbon filter and both fan lines also exhause into the attic where I use two more box fans to try and blow and push that air to the other attic vent on the opposite side of the building.

Again illustrated with superb MS Paint skills.

The flowering room ventilation

Flowering_Ventilation_System.jpg

The Attic Setup

Attic_Ventilation.jpg

The can filter and the air intake are also both on 400 CFM Inline fans. I worry a little that the resistance of the carbon filter is going to result in positive pressure in the room and we may have smell leaks.

The air intakes and exhausts all feed into the attic to try and muffle the sound of rushing air as much as possible. The air noise is definately our #1 security concern at this point. Smell is probably going to be next as the girl's are just over 2 weeks into flower and starting to put off a nice aroma. If this is a problem I plan to combat it by adding a passive exhaust to the flowering room. Hopefully there the smell will have enough time to dissipate before being forced from the shed.

Does that look about right? It seems like with our cool nights here I shouldn't need to turn to AC if I get this ventilation system running efficiently. But if I can't get it worked out AC may be the only choice. We're not to the heat of the summer yet and we're already too hot. This ventilation redesign is my last ditch effort to avoid AC but I'm starting to think I'll need it regardless.

I hope that makes sense. My head hurts from thinking about it all morning.

Did you say that all you have for power is 20 amps @ 120vac? If so, you need MORE power! I don't wan't to re-read this thing, but mebe you could list your proposed equipment and we can look at what you need for power....

Oops I knew I forgot something. Power has been dealt with and you're right we needed quite a bit more. We installed a sub-panel in the shed that has 60 AMP @ 240 volts but we buried 4 AWG lines to the shed so the 60 AMPs can be upped if needed. I haven't totaled the power usage but the HPS lights only use 1/3rd of what's available. I doubt it'll come up to more than 30 - 35 AMPs. So we have room to spare unless we want to add more HID lights which until we deal with the heat problem would be a bad idea.

What I'm really looking for now is suggestions and ideas on how to design a ventilation system that filters the exhaust air to remove smell and gets rid of as much excess heat as possible. I'm not quite there with the system I just threw together. I'd like to get it right on this redesign so hoping for some suggestions.

I had thought about having the two ducts cooling hoods pull directly from the room and put the filter and exhaust in the attic except then I'd be pumping twice the volume of air into that space that I'm pulling through the filter. The rest would leak out unfiltered. Not good.

So I'm looking at making the fans closed loops (pull from outside, exhaust outside) and keeping the filter where it is. In the winter months I'm going to play with dumping the exhaust air from the lights into the veg room for additional heating.

Oops I knew I forgot something. Power has been dealt with and you're right we needed quite a bit more. We installed a sub-panel in the shed that has 60 AMP @ 240 volts but we buried 4 AWG lines to the shed so the 60 AMPs can be upped if needed. I haven't totaled the power usage but the HPS lights only use 1/3rd of what's available. I doubt it'll come up to more than 30 - 35 AMPs. So we have room to spare unless we want to add more HID lights which until we deal with the heat problem would be a bad idea.

What I'm really looking for now is suggestions and ideas on how to design a ventilation system that filters the exhaust air to remove smell and gets rid of as much excess heat as possible. I'm not quite there with the system I just threw together. I'd like to get it right on this redesign so hoping for some suggestions.

I had thought about having the two ducts cooling hoods pull directly from the room and put the filter and exhaust in the attic except then I'd be pumping twice the volume of air into that space that I'm pulling through the filter. The rest would leak out unfiltered. Not good.

So I'm looking at making the fans closed loops (pull from outside, exhaust outside) and keeping the filter where it is. In the winter months I'm going to play with dumping the exhaust air from the lights into the veg room for additional heating.

I have a room in my garage that is very similar in size to yours. Can I make one suggestion? Instead of exhausting your ventilation air thru the filter, use the filter with a fan sucking and exhausting in the room. This way, the room is always odorless, and your ventilation doesn't suffer as the filter restriction increases. So , regardless if you have any air leaks or not, you won't have to worry about any odors getting out....

also, good call on the electrical..

For new growers I recommend soil not hydro. Hydro you can destroy a crop in a matter of hours, soil acts as a buffer and would usually require days to totally mess up a crop. In hydro you are going to need to purchase all the test meters to get it right, in soil you can do fairly well without them at first till you decide to fine tune the operation.
A 1000w is probably your best bet to get quantity but be aware they run very hot, so you may need an AC unit to mange temp.
Your ventitlation should be fine as far as plant health is concerned but may not be enough to cool the room and keep the temps below 80. Anything above 80 and your plants will start to suffer unless you add in CO2.
You'll find your grow cycle will have be revamped as you go. STrains fgrow at differnet rates, sometimes cloning takes longer than anticipated and till you get experienced you may lose quite a few clones. Vegging is usually about a month depending on how big you want your plants to get. Flowering time varies depending on conditions.
Its all aprt of the learning experience and its an enjoyable education if you don't allow the little hicups to get to you.

I am running a 1000w switchable and I can give you some basic climate information based on my observations. I use a 750cfm fan to exhaust the light but I also draw all room air thru the reflector as well to my carbon filter for intake I have a 350cfm fan this provides excelent negative pressure. But point is if with an exhaust fan 700cfm and a 350cfm intake you should only see a 10 degree temp rise so if you can place your grow room in a basement area which I find in the summer have a temp of around 74 degree's during the winter my intake fan is drawing air from a room that is only 63 degrees so my yields increase greatly during the winter. This summer I am considering brewing a barrel of home made beer double fermented for the entire grow this way Ill save money on two major necessities. I have seen on the Growers underground that if you brew a 15 gallon beer jug using a secondary yeast addition at 3 weeks you can maintain 1500+ ppm's of co2 for almost the entire grow and you end up with some wicked 12-15% beer.

I would say get a portable ac unit one with the built in 4" air duct exhaust you can just add some air duct and run it out of the room and heat is gone some also have 40pint dehumidifiers so all together for around $500 you can get a decent climate control also I suggest getting a portabel ac/dehumidifer that also has a drain hose and pump system so you can run it to a drain and have the dehumidifier running at all times as I have see that drier climates promote way more resin production to protect the flowers from drying out.

Back
Top Bottom