Help with HPS heat

lassus

Hi all. I have a question about managing heat from my HPS 600 watt lamp.

I'm setting up for my first hydroponic grow and will be using a room in my home that has heat in winter and a/c in summer. My light reflector has closed sides. My questions are:

Do you suppose I'll need to arrange to cool the lamp's heat in the summer even when the room temp is approx 70 degrees?

Right now I'm growing a single plant in a pot with dirt. I keep the light about 2' over the top of the plant and it seems to do well. I keep a 3'x3' window fan angled up toward the lamp and it blows air toward the light. I'm unsure how effective this is, but again...the plant seems to be ok. Do you suppose this is effective?

I see products for sale such as SH Hydroponics, Inc. > CoolStar Air Cooled Reflector

or

SH Hydroponics, Inc. > Sunspot Plug 'N Play Reflector

Does the apparatus do the cooling, or does it require ducts and air supply forced through?

Is there a relatively simple DIY solution?

Or am I overly concerned?? Thanks all.

Hi all. I have a question about managing heat from my HPS 600 watt lamp.

I'm setting up for my first hydroponic grow and will be using a room in my home that has heat in winter and a/c in summer. My light reflector has closed sides. My questions are:

Do you suppose I'll need to arrange to cool the lamp's heat in the summer even when the room temp is approx 70 degrees?

Right now I'm growing a single plant in a pot with dirt. I keep the light about 2' over the top of the plant and it seems to do well. I keep a 3'x3' window fan angled up toward the lamp and it blows air toward the light. I'm unsure how effective this is, but again...the plant seems to be ok. Do you suppose this is effective?should be ok..you could see how close to put the light by holding your hand underneath for a minute...if the heat building up is hot to you it's NOT ok for your plant...you mighht be able to put it a bit closer.

I see products for sale such as SH Hydroponics, Inc. > CoolStar Air Cooled Reflector

or

SH Hydroponics, Inc. > Sunspot Plug 'N Play Reflector

Does the apparatus do the cooling, or does it require ducts and air supply forced through?yes

Is there a relatively simple DIY solution?do you have fresh air coming in now and a way for it to escape some how as well

Or am I overly concerned?? Thanks all.

If you have air, I don't think you need anything else...you can also cut down on heat by having the ballast outside the room but like I said with air I doubt you'll need it.

Back
Top Bottom