Running dual spectrum lights MH/HPS for flowering

RandyL

Anyone ever done dual spectrum lighting for flowering before? I've done a few grows with just HPS for flowering, but some stuff I've read says the blue light from MH bulbs will be helpful even in flowering.

So this time around, my 8X8 grow room has (left to right) a 1000 watt HPS, a 400 MH, and a 400 HPS. I put the MH in the middle so its blue light can get to all the plants at least somewhat.

Has anyone ever done this, and did you notice any different results compared to just using HPS alone for flowering?

So far my plants seem to be doing very well. Lights-on room temps are around 90 after the first few hours and stay there the rest of the 12 hour lights-on period, and temps fall into the upper 60s at night during lights-off time.

This is a Fox Farms soil grow, FF nutes + open sesame, molasses, clearex, liquid bat guano, and a little bit of magi-cal, no CO2.

Re: Running dual spectrum lights MH/HPS for flowering.

This is just my opinion i've gathered from posts on this and similar websites, but I see that the grows with the larger and higher quality grows have a light spectrum of 2:1 during flowering. I'm not saying strictly HPS won't grow high quality high yield results but that the 2:1 ratio typically ends in a larger yield on average. Yes the 2:1 from HPS and MH together should be great for the plant as long as the temperatures are taken care of. I think the plant would like the difference in spectrums too because it does use both spectrums for most of its life cycle just smaller %s during different phases of its growth ( ie: veg and flower) So I say go for it! Your plant will tell you if theyre not liking/ enjoying the light. But this is just my opinion if that matters haha Happy growing!!!

:roorrip:

Thew1sest
in your honest opinion. With 2x 600 watt hps/mh combo bulb( been thinnking about a Philips 600 Watt HPS SonT Agro Lamp or Digilux Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium bulb) with some adding lighting from fluorescent's i was think some where in the area of an extra 3 x 96watt or 8100 lumen per bulb in a 400 - 450 nano meter color spectrum. could effectively cover a 5'x5' area. which should give 2x600(88500 lumens) hps 3x96(8100 lumens) watts power compact , 59 - 60 watts per sq ft. and 7400 lumens per sq ft.
Randy not trying to high jack your thread

BT

I used to use a 1000w HPS only, I decided to try out a 400w MH / 600w HPS combo. I am pleased with the results, I can place the two lights much closer to the plants and have a little more flexibility if I need to move them.

If I could afford it I would prolly go 600w MH and 600w HPS.... gonna have to wait a while tho.

:peace:
WillyB

Running a MH and HPS seems to make sense. My opinion is it wouldn't hurt.

But.... What about running a dual arc bulb from one ballast? These bulbs are basically both a MH and HPS in one bulb. They're pretty expensive but if using both HPS and MH really is better during flowering then I would buy these bulbs.

I think this would also be better than running two separate ballasts with different bulbs. A single bulb would more effectively blend the spectrum's then 2 light sources.

If anybody has any further info. on this topic or can direct me to another thread that does I am definately interested! Thanks a lot.:hookah:

But.... What about running a dual arc bulb from one ballast? These bulbs are basically both a MH and HPS in one bulb. They're pretty expensive but if using both HPS and MH really is better during flowering then I would buy these bulbs.

They get really hot inside the hoods, and I have heard they burn out bulbs much faster...

I run 2000 watts of HPS and 1000 watts of MH in the flower room. I run about 25% of the flower room with MH.. I will be dropping a third spectrum (CMH vert) in there soon, heck, may even add a LED to cover about everything... I will always have an MH involved in the flower room..

The dual bulbs run very hot. I don't like them much. I've never had one blow out, though...

Growzo

They get really hot inside the hoods, and I have heard they burn out bulbs much faster...

I run 2000 watts of HPS and 1000 watts of MH in the flower room. I run about 25% of the flower room with MH.. I will be dropping a third spectrum (CMH vert) in there soon, heck, may even add a LED to cover about everything... I will always have an MH involved in the flower room..

I was thinking of doing something simlar. What's the size of yur room? If you don't mind me askin'. THX.:Namaste:

I switched to dual arcs for my last grow. The yield was significantly smaller. Can't say for sure how much smaller, as I had two plants that were a strain I haven't grown before. However the potency and flavor of my afghan kush(a strain I have been growing for a year from clones) was significantly improved.
Additionally, the plants seem to stretch less under the dual arcs.
If I were growing commercially, I would stick with HPS (the yield loss was significant), but since I'm only growing for my personal use, 5 plants in a 4X8 sun hut under 2 1000 watt dual arcs still has me making a lot of hash and butter in order to stay under possession limits.

The room is now sized down from 13'x5' to a 8' x 5' for now and I am running 2000 watts, 1600 HPS and 400 vertical CMH.. I pulled the 1000 MH and put it into a 4x4 tent, since i am not using the other 5' of the flower room. The vertical 400 has made quite the impact in the garden, the lower parts of some of the plants look like the top cola, and some of the bigger plants are reaching over trying to get into the CMH foot print... I have always liked to mix the spectrum's like that and as soon as my buddy is done with borrowing my other 400 that will be CMH'd and dropped vertically on the other side... I pretty much am going to let the CMH's take the place of the MH in the flower room... :roorrip:

The room is now sized down from 13'x5' to a 8' x 5' for now and I am running 2000 watts, 1600 HPS and 400 vertical CMH.. I pulled the 1000 MH and put it into a 4x4 tent, since i am not using the other 5' of the flower room. The vertical 400 has made quite the impact in the garden, the lower parts of some of the plants look like the top cola, and some of the bigger plants are reaching over trying to get into the CMH foot print... I have always liked to mix the spectrum's like that and as soon as my buddy is done with borrowing my other 400 that will be CMH'd and dropped vertically on the other side... I pretty much am going to let the CMH's take the place of the MH in the flower room... :roorrip:

That sounds nice. I'd like to do something like that in the near future:)

It's kinda like the suns rays in the morning and evening are less direct and are more subtle as compared to the noonday sun. So I honestly believe a mix of color spectrum is optimal.

I've also been wondering about the HPS coming on first for 4 hours(morning), then the MH for 4 hours (noonday), then the HPS for the remaining 4 hours(sunset)??? Any thoughts? Or having them both on all the time better?

I am new to growing but really looked a ton into lighting before buying my set up and decided to go 400w MH and 600W HPS. I also read a lot of information and what you guys posted above I came to the same conclusion. Seemed that many facts lead to using MH during flowering with HPS increased yield slightly but quality of smoke was much better, so thats what I went with. I really want the best tasting nug I can produce so wanted to do it as correct as possible my first round, so that I had a good bar to use for future grows.. Check out my pics on my grow journal. It seemed having the lights set in a very wide triangle gave the best overall tent lighting and helped reach the lower branches better. ( I also have them air cooled so heat in the tent is really not an issue, (see pics on journal) You can track the grow and comment if you would like. I am still in veg and should be switching to flower within the next 2 weeks. Lemme know what you think...

I have done it and it worked fine. Nothing special but there was no side by side test and too many other variables to say it was the sole reason for success. In nature you have both btw.

Hey guys,

know this is a bit of an old thread but im wondering if any of yis have a bit of advice. currently i'm running a 400w dual spec (vegged with MH), into about week 2 of flower, all within a 1.2mx1.2m.2m grow tent. have a 600w on the way with both dual spec and red spec bulbs so hopefully i should have them soon! absolutely no heat issues as its winter. in ireland! so gonna see what the heat is like with the 600 and if its easily controllable, which im sure it will be, i'l want to hook up the 400 also and have them both running at the same time for super duper nugs. now, from what ive been reading, plants do slightly better with a bit of blue spec during flower, more potent etc etc. i plan to give em some blue, but what is the best way to set up?

400w MH + 600w red spec hps
400w MH + 600w dual spec (too much blue?)
400w dual spec + 600w red spec hps (or is this not enough blue?)

or what i suspect what may be best but dont know

400w dual + 600w dual?

thanx in advance

I'll be running 2x 1000 hps and a 600 watt mh in middle and led for side light. Going in a 10x 20 aera.will have room to move around and keep temps down.

I'll be using 2x 1000 hps and 10 600 watt mh might throw in led to for side light. Using a 10x 20 tent in my garage with 220v I'll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom