Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you reactivate carbon?

Can you reactivate carbon?

Can you reactivate carbon guys?

Plz tell me how! I did a search but to no avail!

I even googled it and found

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/res...ch=top&search=

But I have not idea what it's talking about! Plz help!
    Quote Originally Posted by WheeloFortune View Post
    stay inquisitive bro, and more importantly do it, try it, live it. there are aspects you can never learn through reading and thinking, only by doing.
    -Words by a wise motha!

California Proposition 215 & California Senate Bill 420

420 Member

Re: Can you reactivate carbon?

I've heard you can do it with high heat like in a kiln. It takes pretty high heat.

Question Re: Can you reactivate carbon?

Quote Originally Posted by Weed420 View Post
    I've heard you can do it with high heat like in a kiln. It takes pretty high heat.
    On one of those online patents it says something about high heat too. But it also has some other ways to reactivate carbon I quite figure out. I remember a long time ago on overgrow you can even do it in your oven but it'll make your whole house reek of weed. But I want to know if there's a easier/another way of doing this. Like maybe one on the patents I just can't understand.
    stay inquisitive bro, and more importantly do it, try it, live it. there are aspects you can never learn through reading and thinking, only by doing.
    -Words by a wise motha!

420 Member

Is this for a carbon filter?

If so, you could try Silica gel crystals sold as Crystal Kitty Litter for about 1/4 the cost.

PetSmart has it. WalMart has it even cheaper.

DD

Quote Originally Posted by Droopy Dog View Post
    Is this for a carbon filter?

If so, you could try Silica gel crystals sold as Crystal Kitty Litter for about 1/4 the cost.

PetSmart has it. WalMart has it even cheaper.

DD
    I've never heard of this! Can anyone back this guy up? Preferably nothing hearsay-ish? Something I could believe. Like maybe a grow video that states this works? I first heard about carbon filters through a military site stating they still use this today for cleaning up air, chemical warfare, ect. Then heard about carbon in many grow videos. So can you droopy dog or anyone else can back this up? I'm trying to be cautious because you can't believe everything you read online. So I need proof. Thanks in advance!
    -Words by a wise motha!

Question Re: Can you reactivate carbon?

Well droopy dog just PM-ed me saying, "I personaly have not used this or any carbon filters for that matter."

So let's just get right back on topic of "Can you reactivate carbon?"
    So anyone know how to do it yet? Cause I can't figure out what the patents are talking about. 'cept for the one that needs a ridiculously high temps to reactivate it.

Also I want to know is there a certain way I should dispose of carbon? Can I just put in my regular garbage?
    -Words by a wise motha!

420 Member

LOL "I'm not a pot grower, but I play one on the internet"

No, I have no 'proof' or whatever. I'm also sure it won't purify like carbon and I wouldn't use it in my aquarium filter.

But for odor control in a carbon filter, Mimi Litter at WalMart cost $9 for a 8lb bag.

If it works, great. If it doesn't, you are out $9 and a drive.

DD

Quote Originally Posted by Droopy Dog View Post

LOL "I'm not a pot grower, but I play one on the internet"

No, I have no 'proof' or whatever. I'm also sure it won't purify like carbon and I wouldn't use it in my aquarium filter.

But for odor control in a carbon filter, Mimi Litter at WalMart cost $9 for a 8lb bag.

If it works, great. If it doesn't, you are out $9 and a drive.

DD
    Thanks for the input but could you please stay on topic now?
    -Words by a wise motha!

Heat is the only sure way to re-activate carbon I'm aware of..

Let's exercise our brains and discuss how it's made, and theorize how to clean it..
    Carbon sources are charred, chemicals are added, filtered and rinsed, dried, baked, and viola.. you have activated carbon.
    Activated carbon is just like regular carbon, aka charcoal but the process creates many more times of holes in the carbon, and those provides more places for the carbon to chemically bond to the organic materials.

I assume you could chemically treat carbon with a chemical, but what could dissovle those organics, without damaging the charcoal structure? Alcohols if the organics are soluable and the carbon isn't would be my guess.

Also.. you can burn the organics out, but he's right.. it'll smell the house up like the organic you've evacuated from the room..

Perhaps a very very tiny charcoal fire under a grill full of activated in some remote area, and a way to monitor the carbon to make sure it doesn't actually burn, just roast. And pray a park ranger doesn't show up following the smell of smokey weed.
    SciFi -
    Scifi's Durban-X Soilless - Finished
    Scifi's Durban-X 400WMH/HPS Bubble Lab

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind." - Albert Einstein

ask someone at a local pet store preferably in the fish section. Active carbon is also used as most filter media in aquarium filters. they might be able to tell you if its possible.
    Stay low and smoke.
    Dante.

I googled around.. You need atleast 350F to reactivate carbon but you will never get 100% of it restored. With every restoration you'll loose a bit of capacity until it equalizes to the temp you're heating it to, reactivate it.
    SciFi -

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by SciFi View Post
    I googled around.. You need atleast 350F to reactivate carbon but you will never get 100% of it restored. With every restoration you'll loose a bit of capacity until it equalizes to the temp you're heating it to, reactivate it.
    Thanks for the input man! I think I have seen the 350F on the freepatents link I have on my first post. Hey man could you check the link out and see what other ways you could reactivate carbon? I have trouble understanding it and it seems like your smart as hell so could you help me out man?
    -Words by a wise motha!

lol... Just because it's patented doesn't mean it works. The only thing i've read that is verified is heat. 350F or above or else you're just fucking around. The heat WILL smell like what ever you filtered so do it outside with a grill in the middle of nowhere. Beware of park rangers.

I'd think you could put it in a metal container and set it on a rock in a charcoal grill.
    SciFi -

Quote Originally Posted by SciFi View Post
    lol... Just because it's patented doesn't mean it works. The only thing i've read that is verified is heat. 350F or above or else you're just fucking around. The heat WILL smell like what ever you filtered so do it outside with a grill in the middle of nowhere. Beware of park rangers.

I'd think you could put it in a metal container and set it on a rock in a charcoal grill.
    I can just see my wife now as I load 50 lbs of dirty ass carbon into her oven!LOL. Still I can't even fathom the amount of crap you would inhale even if you did it outside in a BBQ? Plus doesnt carbon have some cancer causing properties?

Water causes cancer. Heh.. Buy a face mask and don't huff on the shit.
    SciFi -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast