14w LED panel for my clone situation?

KillerTree

First off I know the light panel is horrible to do much of anything with but I am a legal medical grower and I don't have a mother plant. Instead of a mother plant and 5 flowering I'd rather have 6 flowering, so I take my clones 3 weeks into flower and try to keep them under the 1' mark which classifies them as cuttings and not plants. My CFL's just root and grow my clones a little too fast and I'm constantly having to trim them etc to keep them under the 1' mark(which isn't bad but I'd prefer to not have to do anything). I don't care at all about light penetration because I wont be growing with the LED, I just want something good enough to root my cuttings and essentially keep the plant in stasis until I harvest the current grow to move them in.

Would this little 1'x1' led panel be crappy enough to accomplish what I need? Maybe there is a use for LED's after all? j/k about that, I know there are some who have great success with them, they just aren't my cup of tea since being discrete isn't an issue being a legal grower.

These LED panels go from $20-30 shipped and cost isn't really an issue, I'm not really looking for a "quality" light, but if this thing will suck so bad it wont even root them then please let me know. Here is the kind I am talking about

225 LED Hydroponic Plant Grow Light Panel 14w Red/Blue - eBay (item 220600975428 end time May-08-10 17:08:50 PDT)

You'll laugh at the sellers claims

thanks for any input

Re: 14w ebay LED panel for my clone situation?

laughing furiously...wait...let me reread that that again heehee lol...uhhh no.
just breakin your stones...all in fun
LEDS do work...I have watched brother irishboy..... his plants are off the hook!!!
I have the same panel he has and am putting it on a seperate grow in about 2-3 weeks.
I dont think that the LED you listed will work...dont waste your money

that being said...I checked out the lamp....you got 50 mins to order...look at it this way...I myself would spend 26.00 to try it...what if it worked? great...if not only 26.00.... I dont expect that you will do major growing but it should root a clone...IMO.

I dont expect that you will do major growing but it should root a clone...IMO.

I have a 1000W lumatek with a super HPS for growing, I'm literally wanting something good enough to root but not good enough to allow my cuttings to grow past 1 foot so I can stay within the legal limit without pruning :grinjoint:

and trust me I'm not anti-LED, certain situations they are great, especially if you have some 3w LED's that penetrate plenty for a nice scrog or something of that nature but I am not willing to re-invest in new technology for my actual growing until they come out with something a little more mind blowing.. I do believe LED's are the way of the future it just isn't anything ground breaking enough yet to switch over to an all out LED grow. This panel is like .06w LED's or something, they aren't even close do being able to grow with. Maybe I'll just give it a shot just to test it, something as cheap as that 14w panel might actually be a savior for medical growers limited to a certain amount of plant numbers if it can keep them below the 1' mark.

I'll wait for a cheaper one though, just seen one go for $22 the other day, I'm not in a rush at all to get it, my CFL's work fine, maybe when I harvest I'll buy one and take a clone off of one of my current clones and just see what happens, worth $20 to test, chance it may work and if it doesn't I can prevent anybody else from wasting $20 :smokin: thinking along the same lines as me

Those 14 watt panels are a joke -- don't waste your time.

Just get a simple 2 foot 2 lamp florou set up with some nice 6500K T5s, those are much better for clones.

Anything less than a 90 watt quad-band or better LED panel is just a waste of time for any application, in my opinion...

well from the time I take my clones I have around 6 weeks until I harvest, I'm guessing T5's I may run into the same situation as CFL's and my clones will grow past the 1' mark which will require me to still trim em to stay legal until I harvest. In that case I wouldn't want to even upgrade from the CFL's, so is there some other way you can think of that I can essentially put my clones in stasis? I am a legal grower and I want to stay legal. Having my clones go past the 1' mark they are now considered full plants and not cuttings and I am looking for a way to do that without having to constantly massacre my clones cutting what would have been another bud site, it sucks doing that. Any other options? I'm not looking for the best and most efficient way to root/veg my clones, I'm essentially looking for the bare minimum to get by but not really be able to do much for them. I probably will just buy one of the LED panels to see, I really hate topping and cutting branches off of my clones to stay legal, because in the end I will do that, staying legal is a big concern, I don't want to risk potentially losing a good thing.

Dacob have you personally used one of those 14w LED panels to try to root and veg some clones? What gave me the idea was I seen a grow journal where a guy started off with those 14w LED panels and the days just kept going by and the plants did nothing, they got a few inches above the soil and literally stalled. I'm kinda looking for that stall. It is actually what I "want" but only if these LED's at least offer enough light to root the clones. It may seem odd wondering why I would want to use garbage because you know what works, I already have what works. I have fluoro tubes(4' ones), I have CFL's, I have multiple MH bulbs, 400 and 1000w, same with HPS... I have great equipment, way better options than a cheap LED panel, but the reason I am considering the panel isn't like I'm looking to upgrade, man I guess it is hard to explain, i really just want to know if those .06w LED's can root a clone.

Wow, OK, got it... I've not used one of those panels personally, as I've not had any success with less than a decent T5 system, as I find my plastic humidity dome really cuts out a lot of the lumens that my lamps throw out.

Now, if you are looking to just get them to that size and stop, actually, you might just have hit on a winner -- a clone will root because it has to, the light they receive is not what makes them root, they do so for survival, if you have prepped them and used a little cloning hormone to encourage the cells to transform and start producing roots.

If you used such a low intensity lighting system, I would imagine it would work fine for a week or so, but indeed they would stall out pretty quickly, as they would rapidly need more energy for photosynthesis than those little LEDs could provide. Indeed, clones don't really do much but root at first, using their stored energy, as they need water and some nutes to use the light available to them. Poor little clones, I'm always so impressed when the flourish, it always amazes me that I can do that to a living plant... anyway.

I'm interested now, your idea is intriguing indeed! Please do let us all know what the results are, perhaps those panels do have a use for "holding" clones at a certain size... interesting!!

:goodluck:

It really would be nice if they provide enough light to make the clones realize it is veg time so they can kinda reveg slowly since I take the clones while flowering. I take clones a few weeks into flowering when I trim the undergrowth that has no chance of reaching the screen. If this LED panel does work like I'm hoping it would be great for medical patients so they don't lose one of their plants (limit is 6 here, not sure how it is elsewhere) by having a mother or having to always hunt down clones, buy seeds etc just so they can grow their 6 plants. I'm hopeful but by no means fully confident this light panel will do the trick, I'll give it a shot though and be sure to post the results but that may be a month or 2 or 3, really depends on how long I veg my next grow for. Current grow I only veg'd 2 weeks because I have a deadline to have some available medicine here in a couple months and need to make sure it is harvested/dried in time for her. I will post results when I do test the panel though

you can stall clones by putting them in the refrigerator in baggies with some water in the bottom.

dogsnova does it

that is actually on my to-do list, I've read a bit about it but scared to try it when my next grow depends on my clones. One of these days I will take the plunge on that too, so much to do.. I'll be tinkering for a while. I like the idea of the LED possibly semi re-vegging them and still producing roots (more the better) so it will (hopefully) be a faster turnaround once I do drop em in my flower room

The panel does OK, I use one tri-band in my sprout/veg cab for the first 10 to 14 days before moving them under 2 90w UFO's. I wouldn't use them for a full grow, but they do work for small seedlings and clones.

Wait a second. One foot in... height?

Could you do a scrog?

Wait a second. One foot in... height?

Could you do a scrog?

i highly highly doubt it. This light sucks.

I bought it hoping to keep my clones under 1' (considered a cutting to stay under limit of 6 mature plants) but it didn't work. I use a 1000w super HPS for my actual grow. This thing doesn't penetrate a foot, nowhere close. It only lights the top couple of inches and anything below that doesn't get any sort of light resulting in deformed looking stretched clones which is why I reverted back to my fluoros for my clones. The fluoros aren't great either but they atleast supply a little light even to the lower sites so once I transfer the clones into my system (1000w scrog) they are ready to branch like crazy with multiple sites, not just 1 main site on the top with this LED. If you are going to use LED for anything do not buy the 13w one, @ $10 shipped it is a waste of $

that is actually on my to-do list, I've read a bit about it but scared to try it when my next grow depends on my clones. One of these days I will take the plunge on that too, so much to do.. I'll be tinkering for a while. I like the idea of the LED possibly semi re-vegging them and still producing roots (more the better) so it will (hopefully) be a faster turnaround once I do drop em in my flower room

it works dont worry , but to be safe no more than 2 weeks in the bag , just done that with my g13 haze and bluberry clones had them for week and a half in the ziplock , when in bag open it 2 or 3 times a day to let fresh air in .

cheers

Back
Top Bottom