New tent ripped.. Gathering opinions of Jardin, Sun Hut and Grow Lab tents. Help!

Lusi

I'd dearly love feedback on other kinds of tents, Secret Jardin, Grow Lab, or Sun Hut.

I'm looking at 2 basic sizes 4x4 and 2.5x5 (3x5) and have an air cooled 600W light that dials down to 350W or up to 630W. I'm on the fence right now to return this tent and the 4"CFM fan with filter, or to exchange it. The tent was not 100% light tight. Had light out the bottom zippers and pin holes. Do they all have this? I'm so frustrated with BGH.... ripped tent, smashed duct hose, and scope with light that won't stay on, all in one order.. grrrrrr . The advantage to the wider tent is that I don't have to leave a wall free to get to my back plants... I think. (plz share this info too!) Since I have the ripped 4x4 set up, I can say that the plan was to leave one wall bare for getting in. This might take away the advantage of a few square feet extra in the 4x4. My back and knees are blown, bending over is not possible. I can still switch to a 400W light if need be, or dial my 600 Lumatek down.

Please, no debates on DIY. My health is too poor and those DIY days are long gone! No debates on lights either, beyond if I need to exchange this for a 400W dimable with the smaller tent.

Here's some of the info I am reading, not sure if I'd order from this place, but they have good info! Grow Tent Review - Greners.com
My local hydro shop matches online prices, but they sell only Sun Huts, thus why I look at these too.

I'll work on specific links to tents after posting this to start. TY for the advice! I've had enough bad luck in the last 6 months to last me a life time. :-(

Lusi

Well, I have all of my info gathered.

I'd welcome more info on the Jardin DR pro 120 before I make this final return and reorder.

The darn Grow Lab 2x5 (2'7"x 4'11") is looking like the best option, despite the 120 I have here with a ripped seam. Here are my reasons for considering this size and this model:
-Jardin 2x4/ 3x5 is not available in the new Pro model. (T or F?)
-Jardin Pro DR120 has side access, but might still need a walk space.?
- The Grow Lab 80L (2x4) has the most vents. However, they are a one way sock type.
#1 reason I look at the 2x4/3x5 over the 3x3/4x4 is ease of access. I can open the front and reach all of the plants without going inside. Bending over and reaching forward are 2 of the most painful movements I have. I can't even bend over to scrub the bath tub from the side. It hurts BAD!! A bath tub is about the size of the GL80L I believe. I'd need a table in any tent I get. The Jardin (DR120 II) is a close second because of the side access panels. It's the limited duct vents (might be a typo?) of 5 including the 2 cord vents, and the passive bottom vents must be opened from he outside, requiring I move the entire tent out of the corner to reach them!

I think my 600W light is OK for the 4x4 and the 2.5x5. ??

Here is all of the busy work so others can look these up to help me or help themselves in the future:

Here's the models I'm looking at now:

Another Grow Lab 120 (3'11"x3'11"x6'7") (15.3 sq ft) ($218.95 + $9.45SH)
GrowLab Portable Grow Rooms - GL120 - Greners.com
Ports:
Intake/Exhaust: (5) - 8" / 203mm (2 ports for air-cooling of reflector plus 3 additional ports; all ports adjust to fit smaller-diameter ducting and equipment as well)
Cord access: (2) - 4" / 101mm
*** can be ordered locally, no ship no wait

#1 Grow Lab 80L (2'7"x4'11"x6'7") (12.7 sq ft) ($229.95 + $9.45)
GrowLab Portable Grow Rooms - GL80L - Greners.com
This one seems easier to reach all of the plants. ???
Can a 600W HPS cover the 5 foot width?
Ports:
Exhaust: (5) - 5" / 127mm
Cord access: (2) - 4" / 101mm
*** can be ordered locally, no ship no wait

#2Secret Jardin ProDR120 II (3'11"x3'11"x6'7") ($209.95 + $7.55 shipping)
Secret Jardin Dark Room Pro DR120 II - Dark Room II *New* - Secret Jardin - Grow Tents - Greners.com
Best rating, but less ports, A LOT less ports!!
5 total ports:
1 for extraction, 2 for intraction,2 for cables
- At least there is side access doors
-vents open from outside, have to move entire tent to close them!

Secret Jardin DR150W (2'7"x4'11"x6'7") ($219.95 + $9.45 shipping)
Secret Jardin DR150W Grow Tent - Greners.com
New model is not in this size??! :-( WTH? I'd be interested if it was! Are the differences a lot?
- I think it has 5 double socked (more light proof) vents and 2 for cords. The DR120 pro might be a typo here when it says 3 ports 2 for cords. ??

Sun Hut LG Silver (2' 11.5" x 4'6" x 7' (interior)
Sun Hut LG Silver 2x4 Enclosed Greenhouse - Sun Hut - Grow Tents - Greners.com
reviews look like it is cheaply made, weak frame and has many light leaks. I only include it here because I like the size better than the others.
Ports, I find little info! Says 2, but no way that's what is in there.
Sounds like highly inferior to the rest. Hydrohut is no better and HTG I don't like.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It looks like my 4" Can Fan 123cfm for $139 is better than another brand in a larger 6" higher CFM fan. Is this accurate? Is this fan enough for this tent? (15 sq ft)

--It sounds like you should get a tent that opens on multiple sides for ease of access.

--All of them will have slight light leaks, especially those pin pricks leaks or slight leaks around the zipper seams. It's not a big deal. I believe the worry about light leaks causing hermies is overblown.

--Seems like you have the equipment to run any size tent. It just depends on how many plants you plan on growing at one time.

I bought a 4'x4'x6.5' tent from a company called hydrobox hut on Amazon. I was in the process of a DIY box but found the tent for $109.00 so I scrapped my plans and picked it up. It's just a basic tent that does the job. One potential problem with this brand is that it has 4" wide ducts instead of 6" wide ducts meaning that it could pose heat problems if you live in a hot area. But it simplified my growing operation and allowed me to be very productive this past summer. One thing about buying off of Amazon is that the shipping costs were like $38.00 so the tent totaled around $150.00.

--I'd recommend a smaller tent that opens on multiple sides because of your condition. Who cares about brand name. Look at what people do here with their own DIY setups. Good luck bro.

Thanks Z!

You got a great deal on your tent! I'm surprised at the 4" vents there! How do you have your plants set up on your 4x4? Do you have to set in the tent to reach the far plants, or have some kind of shelves rigged in there?

I've been wondering if the who hermy things was a bit over exaggerated. I go in my area any time of the day or night. No hermies yet! I would think the light you have leaking out would be more important. Those little pinholes are quite bright in a small room, but easy enough to fix. It's the light from the vents that would be impossible to get rid of. Does your tent have these? You have to use the bottom three mesh vents for intake, right? Even the duct vents going in and out could have some light showing. I could really use that tent, right now!

You are right about the smaller tent. I really am going to need this more and more as time progresses. I'm looking at the 3x5s only now. I looked at a local Sun Hut on display today.The frame was so flimsy, they wouldn't put a larger light than 5 T5s in it. LOL! Does your tent have a good frame? PVC looks better than many of the metal choices, and are easy to build.

I'm still hung up on the Jardin and Grow Lb. The Jardin 150W only comes in the old model. The side windows sounded great, until I realized I had to reach in and bend over. That's worse then just bending over. I think the Grow Lab will be the better choice. With those new tarp zippers, I could cut other doors in there some day without a lot of hassle. It helps that BGH is working with me now to exchange the 120 for 80L.

:thumb:

My Land Lord just emailed that sent someone to get my backyard and another to demand in the front door and she was angry because I didn't answer the door and had my back gate padlocked. These same people were sent to hassle a guy that works for her. I can't believe she was dumb enough to send this in an email! She now said I had 24 hours to let her. WTF?!

I'm still working on a place to but the plants and hope she'll be late or post pone. They have no smell, but it someone is looking for them, they are awfully easy to see now that I don't have my tent!! :-((( I'm hoping to leave all of the lights out in sight and just bring in the outdoor flowers and a few younger seedlings inside like the lights are for them. I hope it works! Still, gotta hide my girls!

I just bought a Grow Lab GL120 tent and i hate it!!! its the cheapest peace of sh*t. the 1st few days my intake flap ripped, the front zipper came undone from the threads. they only add single thread stitching, very cheap! and lights leeks are crazy bad, all the zippers leak light, pin hole light leaks everywhere, light leaks all threw the stitching. light leaks everywhere! i would never ever buy another Grow lab tent again!! The reason why i bought it was because it hold 100lbs. not worth it thought

If i could go back in time i would have bought a Secret Jardin tent. they are the most light proof tent out of all of them and have a way better design on them, the zipper are black and have flaps to block the light better, better intake and exhaust ports. easier/faster to open. the only bad thing is they hold only 66lbs, so you have to get a lighter filter if ur going to hang it.
every one ive talked to love their Jardin tents and says their very light tight

Oh crap!!! I just arranged to have the Grow Lab 80L shipped yesterday! Darn it!!! The 120 I had here had lots of light leaks and that one rip in the single stitched corner. The lights leaks didn't bother me much since when I zipped myself inside the tent, no light came in. Your are correct, the bottom white zipper let out the most light. There were pinholes all over the tent too. So that, I figured I'd just turn off the lights if someone came over... if I get a tent as crappy as your, I'll be POed!!

I was thinking about the Jardin tent, but the 150W is only their older "Dark Room" model. I can still get the old one easily. Here's why I chose the GL over the SJ DR, in order of importance: (not that any of this means crap if the tent FALLS APART! $&P($*(*{@^#%)

1)I needed a wider less deep tent that I can access from a chair or without climbing in. The new awesome model of Jardin tent doesn't come in the 150W size!

2) The passive intake vents (which both let in/out a LOT of light!) of the Grow lab can be opened and shut only on the inside The DR model, on the outside. Since the tent will be in a corner and surrounded by boxes, I could NEVER reach the SJDR vents on the outside to close them when SO visits! It's not great to move the plants to access the inside vent flaps on the GL, but it is at least possible. I will need these passive mesh vents and likely an open duct area too to airflow. Unless I had the tent set up with intake light traps through the duct ports on the bottom, no tent will be light fast. I can sew extra flaps and make changes if needed. Also, the SJDR has side windows for access, but since the tent will be blocked on the sides, this is useless to me. I also cannot reach into the windows and down to the plants without killing my back. If they were full doors, it might have been useful in the long run. My choice of the 2.5x5' tent eliminates the need for side doors.

3)By keeping my business with BGH, they are sending me my new 80L kit with free shipping. If I bought the SJDR, I would have lost $100 shipping or the damaged tent to and from my house (or $50 if they paid for return), plus another $50 to ship the SJDR from Greners! That's $100 - $150 extra to buy a tent elsewhere. This is shipping for the entire kit.. If the GL80L tent is also crap, I'll return just the tent this time and get he DR from Greners. I'd still me out $70 in the end from all oft he shipping costs! Both places charge me tax. Locally, I could have bought all of this with no shipping. Too late. The place in CO sells GLs with no tax or shipping! (Also too late)

4) The DR 150W model has only 3 6" air cooling vents, not possible to use an air cooled light separate from the filter fan combo. In baking hot CA, I need all of the airflow through this thing I can get!

5) The frame and weight it will hold is much better for the GL models. The NEW Jardin tents have this issue fixed, just not the size.

6) BGH price matched the GL80L tent to $215 and then gave me another $10 off. This makes the tents the almost the same price. GL $10 less.

7) light fast. I already know my the GL lets no light in. I tried it out! outside, it's impossible

I wish I'd got you tent info a few days ago... I guess yours has no warranty either? Oh this suck!!! Despite the giant list of why I went with the GL, none of this matters it it's a piece of crap and falls apart! Both models are made in China too. :-(((((

Well, TY for letting me know. I will now be going over every inch of that tent with a flashlight. I'm also writing the two places about warranties. I'll post what they say!

Lusi:oops:

i run dr120s and a dr240w; aside from the supports being a bit dodgy they are good tents... it's just a tent; not a room; i've seen people replace the frames with custom built 1x1 or 2x2 frames; even saw a 2x4 frame inside a tent once; held a grip of lights and filter no prob... i also have a couple dr80s and a dr40... i guess you can say i like the secret jardin models; they rn't the best things in the world but they get the job done

i have an old hydrohut kindergarden as well... never ran the growboxes or sunhuts but i've heard good things about the build quality of em; just like the draw string ease of the dark rooms; flanges suck and are expensive; glad i don't have to use em anymore

Hi Optic,
So you have the older model Dark Room tents by Secret Jardin? The new models look awesome, curse their choice in sizes to make. Have you had any broken zippers or ripped seams at all? If you've been using them that long, they must be pretty darn good!! A 240 is the size of my bedroom. LOL! Do you use the 3-4 passive mesh vents along the bottom of the tent? How many air cooling duct openings are there in the 120? That model I think says it has only 3, another reason I didn't get it. Is this true? Yes, the frame on the DR models sounds pretty flimsy. The Sun Hut I looked at could be tilted at crazy angels the frame was so poor. It would such to buy a tent for so much $$, then have to build a new frame for it. What a PITA!

You are right, they are just tents. Light and air sealing a fabric tent is rather absurd. :p It's still the easiest way to get a safe growing area up and running with no DIY goofs. (I good a LOT of goofs nowadays with DIY!)

If my GL80L turns out to be as horrid as Irish Boy's it's going back for good. The old DR model would be my next choice. Neither company has written me back when I asked for warranty info. hmmmmm..

TY fellas for sharing tent info. I'm crossing my fingers, plz just get this one darn tent right... I have enough stress already.

Doorbell ran, it's already here! Gotta get some help setting it up. This time I'm going over every inch of that tent to make sure there's nothing already falling apart. CYa in a few days. :yahoo:

I've got a growlab, good stuff. awesome buy no complaints. something like 9x9 model. Its got small pin prick light leaks but sealed with the lights off inside i cant even notice them. Zippers are heavy duty and it has a double floor so spills arent a big concern

Cool, great to know they all aren't lemons. Phew! Mine just came in the mail. It will be a while before I can get it set up.

Are the zippers on the doors as much as a pain as people say? The zipper in the middle seemed upside down, but perhaps ya just get used to undoing 3-5 zippers each time you get in. ?

Back
Top Bottom