The Flower Box MK2

Chapter One: New Beginnings

Herein lies the story of a grower, desperate to grow his medicine in new surroundings, forced into a decision of growing hydro because of space constraints. As such, to contain his growing area and to hide it from the world, he decides to enclose his passion in the only material easily and inexpensively gotten: Cardboard.<---click

After 2 years of continuous use, the doors are starting to deteriorate more than the rest of the box, which surprisingly has showed very little sign of breakdown... The rest of the box, is in good shape, and has taken more damage from Destructo-Girl than from moisture, heat, and constant use.

It has been a good start for the young hydro grower, but, with his growing experience in hydro, and with the urging of his loved ones in the house, he has decided to evolve his little Flower Box into something more- Something greater- Something more befitting the home of a blooming miracle.

And so, with mouse in hand, he loads his design tool once again. That familiar welcome screen glows on the monitor. He sighs, thinking of how well the Cardboard Flower Box has performed. Then with a few clicks, he puts the past two years of box growing experience to work.

He begins with the necessary bottom part of the box that will hold all the electrical controls, and water reservoirs. He makes it no higher than mechanically necessary, choosing to preserve as much vertical space as possible toward the ceiling of his humble abode for something far more necessary- vertical space in the lighted grow box above.

He quickly lays out the plans and sets everything as it needs to be before looking toward the more lofty part of his job. Once it is done, he smiles to himself, as he realizes that a scant eighteen inches was all that was necessary for every part of the underworkings of his box.

Chapter Two: It Has Begun

A mere fifteen minutes passed from measuring reservoirs, to saving the plans for the bottom equipment box. Satisfied with the start he turns to the next task at hand... He picks up the measuring tape again, and measures everything needed. When he returns to his design, he's already grinning with excitement. He decides to make this one almost kiss the apartment ceiling to allow for the most growing room inside. When he does the math he cackles like a madman at seeing the results.

"A FULL SIX FEET INSIDE!!" he cheers. "I'm gonna like this so much!"

A few deft clicks later and the plans for the Light Box are complete. Two feet deep, four feet wide, and a massive six feet tall, it is easily the biggest growing space he's ever taken on to build. Confident in his ability to accomplish his self inflicted feat, he clicks save on the second set of the plans, and views the entirety of it's grandeur.

Chapter Three: Taking Shape

Once both sets are saved, he decides to put them both together to get a better idea of the scale which will soon grace his apartment. A few clicks, and it's done.

"Very nice," he thinks to himself, "Very nice indeed"

His ceiling is Ninety-Five inches from the floor, and the whole thing stands ninety inches when stacked. A mere five inches from the ceiling, and every bit what he expected it to be. Satisfied that the size he designed limits the waste left over from 4x8 sheets, he saves his work, and hits upload.

Chapter Four: Filling the Gaps

Just to get a feel for how things will work in his newly built grow space, the grower again turns to his design suite, and starts to click. This time focusing on the inner workings of the build rather than just the structure. He inserts the basic equipment (minus the plugs and such) and tubes under there......... I just made you think "Under where?" hehe. Underwear!

That done, he draws out the lighting, and exhaust for the upper part, and finishes out the grow basins for the hydro system, and the optional "ScrOG" screen, which will me made to be removable or replaceable depending on his whim.

"Two views, I think." he muses, and proceeds to lay out a side view as well.

Grinning, he admires the fact that over three feet are still available for the object of his passion that drives this project forward.

Save....aaand, upload.

Chapter Five: To Gather Together

"Now all that remains is to gather the materials needed to build this monstrosity of a grow cabinet," He muses. "Yeah, I know some might consider it small, but some have much more space than I have. This takes up a lot of space, in my living area, but is a necessary part of my life."

Calmly he sets out the calculator, and starts to do the math on the framing, and siding of the box. With glee, he validates his earlier restraint as he realizes that ALL of this build can be done with four sheets of plywood, and seven of the ten-foot sticks of two-inch-square lumber. Only eighteen inches of the eight feet are left from the plywood, and one foot and four inches are left from the lumber as waste.

Patting himself on the back as his cabinet building moves forward, he finishes out the materials list and lays out the cuts on the cardboard for future reference. Saved, and uploaded, he heads off to bed for work tomorrow.

:popcorn:

cool page 1!

Chapter Six: A friend in need.

The grower has a friend, used to live up at "The Farm", and he saw my plans for the box. He asked if one could be built for him since he no longer lives in the hills, and is now down here in the city in an apartment. The giving guy that the grower is, he readily and happily agreed to build one for him.

A little scheduling, and time maintenance, to make a trip to the local lumber yard, and everything in the name of raw materials was now cut and ready. All there was to do was to seal the wood, and wait for it to dry. That done, it was time to frame it all out.

Then just to stack it, top, on bottom, to get an idea of the size of the project.

Chapter Seven: Box Grandiose

A few days later, the walls were sealed, and painted, and ready to go together. The gardener, not used to building things, forgot to allow for the thickness of the siding going onto the walls, and cut the frame to the exact dimensions needed. This posed a problem when the siding started to go on. This you can see here:

The friend actually like the way it looked, and the grower had to admit, it kinda gave it a kinda cool look. They decided to change the bottom door hinge to the bottom instead of the top so that the door lays flat with the bottom when opened to make a "slide" so the buckets can scoot right inside instead of having to lift the buckets over the lip to get them in when full.

"Remember, though," the grower noted to himself, "when building these for your own house, the boss will never accept this look. It must look like a good piece of furniture."

For the reflection inside, the Grower had a brilliant idea. "Go to the dollar store and get a bunch of mylar windshield reflectors!"

He ran this by the friend, and it was agreed- It shall be done! This said, they were bought, and glued and stapled them to the inside, after the corners were sealed with tub & tile caulk. Keep in mind, that the light will hang below the top of the reflectors' top edge, and the bins will come to the bottoms. Buckets placed for the reservoirs of the ebb & flow system and the vision started to come to life.

"How big is THAT!?" the friend exclaimed.

The grower felt obliged to show exactly how big "THAT" was and climbed up inside.

"THAT'S how big it is!" cried the grower, as his friend looked with glee seeing the grower stand fully erect inside, and actually have to reach UP to touch the ceiling.

All that's left is to install the lights, the exhaust, and the irrigation.

For the hydro system how-to, you can go here: "DIY Ebb & Flow"

Awesomeness in a big wooden box! :)
Hehehe, thank you. That was about the last pic of me standing in the box, no? :rofl:

Great post and pics....I really like this. :thumb:
Yay! Thank you for the kudos. Glad you like! Stick around, we ain't done yet... The story of the two friends is not over.

Great thread. I'm in...:thumb:

Thank you! This is a secondary thread to introduce my newest creation, tweak it, and then come upon the final design after weeding out the design/measurement flaws. After that, the real work will begin to actually implement said design into my home where there is now a new life starting to love outsiders. So in essence, it is being done so that "play dates" can be had without tipping off the parents to our activities, and allow their children back to play later when Aurora decides to ask for another.

Yes, I guess one could consider this to be the beginning of plans for a true STEALTH grow box where to all outward appearances, it is simply a hutch, or armoire.

And hey! I see you added rep! Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom