How's my grow box? Suggestions?

Grouchy Ocho

Greetings devil's lettuce growers,
I just wanted some help or suggestions on my box. I'm comfortable where it's at to an extent but maybe someone might have an idea I have not thought of. I plan on growing about 2 to 3 plants and scroging them. I live in a hot southwest state so it's pretty darn hot and my temp stays around 80F with humidity at 30%. I realize the temp should be closer to 74F and humidity much higher but I'm comfortable with that at the moment.

The dimensions are 36x32x18.5.
fS8fzzv.jpg

wn0vlXK.jpg

Sgetw35.jpg

I have 8 lights hooked up to adjustable fixtures. 2 lights per fixture. This allows me to adjust the lights in any configuration I need at the time.
LpFtvzt.jpg

I am using 8 of these bulbs. If anyone has any questions, comments, or concerns about these please tell me because this was my biggest problem. Finding the correct lights.
Kb0ZoM9.jpg

ZdUGygA.jpg

The board the light fixtures are attached to is adjustable via the chains I'm using. I use a nail to slight in and out of the holes so if I have young plants on the right and adults on the left, I can slant the board to get the CFLs as close as possible to all the plants.
5NHqsbs.jpg

I have a small fan inside but I need to get a slightly more powerful one to really increase internal circulation.
PaS0S1B.jpg

I have a case fan I got from RadioShack sucking air out of the box toward the top right and in the bottom left I have a hole for a passive intake. The hole is the same diameter as the fan blade.
ZDTNN9s.jpg

QEOmsv3.jpg

It's my first box I built. It used to be a dresser with 4 drawers but I gutted, sanded, and reinforced it with about 250 nails (nailgun). It is ugly but seems to be a very promising prospect. Please, I'd appreciate your feedback as this will be my first grow and want to come out in the positive by the end of this.

Thanks brothers/sisters!

G-O

Nice setup, I'm using the same bulbs. Let me know how ate they working for you. Check out my setup.

Good morning everyone

I've actually redesigned my grow box to something more appealing to the eye than what i had before. i purchased a standing closet with the dimensions 71.75"H x 29.62"W x 20.5"D (182,25 cm H x 75,23 cm W x 52,07 cm D) and im very happy with where im at. there are still many minor improvements that i will make before my seeds arrive which should be in about a week or so. im rolling with the same equipment for the most part. i added one more outtake fan that is identical to the other and added 3 intake holes for the passive. i chose to do 3 instead of 2 because when i originally had 2 passive intake holes, the case fans weren't reaching their full potential and had some obvious resistance. 3 holes made a world of difference and helped tremendously with cooling though heat is not really an issue at the moment. because it was not completely sealed in the front, i added weather stripping which created a perfect seal.

here are some pictures!

vP2EEhK.jpg

fsIjc0b.jpg

FVeIcnI.jpg

o8vpiju.jpg

IB6SewM.jpg

For internal circulation, i have 3 fans but the top fan that is suspended is a standard box fan that i removed from the frame and trimmed the blades to fit inside the box
9aPHC0u.jpg

home made reflector with light wired in parallel (no ground)
8PUKY7k.jpg

ntqtfpT.jpg

this is my storage area. the bottom shelf is adjustable so i can move it down as the plants grow to give them more vertical grow room as needed. the lights are also on a pulley system which can be adjusted too.
E2elsAq.jpg

this little gadget is neat. the white remote is a temperature and humidity sensor so i can monitor the temperature on the "outside" portion of the LCD screen in my living room or anywhere in the house. also, it gives the heat index which is nice if your thermometer is not in a shaded area of the box.
JLsEHsA.jpg

armoire grow: i will be using a mixed spectrum for both veg and flower. the emphasis will be on blue in the veg state but will also have red spectrum in there also (2700k). the same goes for flower. blue will be present but the majority will be 2700k.

ColoradoHigh: thanks! i appreciate it! this will be my first grow so hopefully it turns out like i plan. thanks for the blinking light tip. i would have never thought of that. ill throw a strip of E-tape on it.

ill be growing in 2 hempy buckets. both are 5 gallon and are bottom filled with perlite, then 3/4 perlite to 1/4 vermiculite for the rest. i figured id start with hempys original design before i move to the updated coco recipe hempy bucket. i have no nutes yet so if anyone can recommend any, that would be great. my default was going to be what hempy used. Canna Classic, Canna Vega, and Canna Flores.

my short term future improvements to this will be as follows...

light trap for the outside holes/fans
scrubber (not for a while as smell is the last concern for me)
venting hot air into garage with ducting

Nice, I can see it coming. I like how you have the fan on top, surprisingly those cfl in that space produces heat.
And yeah be careful with the led on the temperature monitor I have read that they can produce 2+ lumens and can affect flowering. Do a darkness check in the room, these an app I use to measure lumens. The way use it is by putting the phone inside when everything is dark and monitor is any lumens registered. I have a similar closet , check it out First grow closet on an armoire closet with CFL

Nice, I can see it coming. I like how you have the fan on top, surprisingly those cfl in that space produces heat.
And yeah be careful with the led on the temperature monitor I have read that they can produce 2+ lumens and can affect flowering. Do a darkness check in the room, these an app I use to measure lumens. The way use it is by putting the phone inside when everything is dark and monitor is any lumens registered. I have a similar closet , check it out First grow closet on an armoire closet with CFL

I like yours a lot! Your closet is pretty wide. Good job on it! I know I can definitely get a few ideas from yours

Yeah, I was surprised as well AG that my 425-525 watts that I used for my first 2 grows raised the grow box temps by 15°-20° and that's with the ventilation system running full blast. Neat app for lumen checking, I was going to by a lux meter but with the move to LEDs, I decided to buy the remote sensing thermometer station instead.

Great, how's it's working with LED, I been thinking of adding it to my flowering chamber. In what stage are you using the LED?

Thanks GO, I also picked some idea from you and looking forward to see you production.

Don't know yet, I'm just starting my first grow with LEDs, actually a hybrid of LEDs and CFLs. I'm hoping that the temperatures are significantly lower in the grow with LEDs for canopy lighting. I'm using LEDs for the entire grow. I have a Top LED 96x3-watt Reflector that has a Growth switch, which turns on the majority of the diodes as well as the fans for vegetating and a Bloom switch which turns on the remaining red diodes for flowering.

So, after looking into some nutrients, I'm still not sure what my best option is. Can anyone that had first hand experience with a good 3 part nute system for hempy bucket (3/4 perlite-1/4vermiculite)? Much appreciated everyone!

Off topic - dabbed for the first time yesterday. Got it from a dispensary. Amazing how much more flavor you can taste with concentrate. Definitely considering turning my whole stash to concentrate (assuming my grow goes as a planned :bitingnails: ).

Very neat and organized setup! Looks like your putting a lot of thought and work into it! Hope it all works out well for you!

Back
Top Bottom