Home Built Stealth Closet because buying on the street is just to damn risky

2BLgL

Hello I am going to be detailing my cabinet build in this blog. After a close call buying a bag from a friend that I had to meet in a parking lot I decided it was not worth the risk anymore and I would be much safer just growing my own. The wife agreed but had her own requirements namely small, inconspicuous, and her house could not smell like a skunk. My requirements were large enough to grow enough good quality smoke to last me about 3 to 6 months each grow. So started the research which led to well known grow cabinet and tent makers. Though I like the setups after looking I figured I can build that. My research led me to 420mag and the great knowledge contained in the forums led me to become a member. After much research I had an equipment list and a plan. I wanted a 95% airtight cabinet with charcoal filtering using LED for lighting and combo top drip/DWC hydro system. All the parts have arrived and now starts the build. I will photo document the process and hope that anyone who reads this may pick up a tip or two and maybe in turn show me a better way to do what I am building. After the build will be my first grow journal.

DSCN01127.JPG

https://www.420magazine.com/community/gallery/734660

BAD A$$ CABINET - CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT YOU HAVE PLANNED - You will be soooo much happier you built than buying a supercloset ;)

:circle-of-love: I LOVE that cabinet! This is gonna be straight up SEXY! Here are a few questions for you:

What are the interior Dimensions of your cabinet?
Is that a time lock?
Will you be keeping your reservoir in the cab?

Unless you want to run a chiller, I would advise against DWC. Maybe consider a flood & drain or just a top feed system. You may also want to look into a Scrog setup to maximize your canopy area. I would also highly suggest lining the interior with mylar to increase light reflectivity. As for your LED, check out TopLED.

Good luck with the build and upcoming grow!
:Namaste:
-Monkey

Not to get off the subject but why would you advise against DWC without a chiller?

:circle-of-love: I LOVE that cabinet! This is gonna be straight up SEXY! Here are a few questions for you:

What are the interior Dimensions of your cabinet?
Is that a time lock?
Will you be keeping your reservoir in the cab?

Unless you want to run a chiller, I would advise against DWC. Maybe consider a flood & drain or just a top feed system. You may also want to look into a Scrog setup to maximize your canopy area. I would also highly suggest lining the interior with mylar to increase light reflectivity. As for your LED, check out TopLED.

Good luck with the build and upcoming grow!
-Monkey

Not to get off the subject but why would you advise against DWC without a chiller?

Just my own personal experience. With the warm air that you have to pump into the buckets (air from an air pump is pretty warm) and the typical ambient temperatures in a grow cab, I found it very difficult to keep my roots healthy. I did a DWC grow only once, but my roots all came out very brown and slimy and just weren't healthy at all. I still got some great buds and grew some really awesome plants. I just think there are better ways to go, which I mentioned.

My only DWC grow was enough to convince me that there are easier ways. I would be happy to hear about any good ways of doing DWC without a chiller. But in my research, I have yet to find any.

Of course that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
-Monkey

i use dwc and have never had to use a chiller, the more air you pump in the whiter the roots and keeps water from stagnating "going slimy"

Thank you for all the comments everyone.

@ Dantes
inside deminsions are 35 3/4 x 23 3/4 x 72 3/4
Not a time lock electronic combo with a 10 opening history and a 3 wrong attempts alarm
Yes res will be inside cabinet
Instead of mylar I am painting the inside with a titanium white paint with a mold inhibitor additive in it

My reservoir is going to be made from a Coleman 48 can party stacker cooler because it will resist heat from external and hold cold inside longer. I will be checking the temp twice a day and if needed will have bottles of frozen water that I can suspend in the res to cool water, also I plan on using cannazyme in my water to protect against root rot. I had not taken into account the temp of the air but that is giving me some ideas on how to fix that....more to come.

you wont need to cool the res mate, trust me;) there is no way any res over 10 litres of water will rise above 25 dgrees celcius in that cab even under a 1000 watt hps!!
i run top fed/ wicking/dwc combo the root sytem in my res is pure white, handfuls of thick hairless roots. and my res is only 5 litre ;)
just run lots of airstones the roots love it

Parts List:

36x24x72 steel cabinet with electronic lock
Inline Duct Fan 190 CFM w/ Virgin Charcoal Carbon Filter Combo
4" round duct
4" dryer vent
120cm Cabinet Fan with 120v adapter
300w 11-band LED Grow Light - DUAL VEG/FLOWER SPECTRUM
Full Spectrum 12W LED Grow Light Bulb for Veg and Flower
2 outlet air pump
160 GPH Submersible pump w/Stealth Hydroponics Dig Assembled to make top drip
1 48 can Coleman stack-able party cooler
2 speed 6" clip fan
1 Gal Titanium White Flat paint
1 roll white duct tape
Other odd n end's like PH & TDS tester's, leca clay, rockwool, nutrients, timers both time based and 1 temp based

Thanks for your fast response Dantes Monkey!! I was asking because when anyone talks DWC i know where the conversation is going lol... Root rot! Im a newbie by all means but i have had experience with root rot and have done extensive research on the subject!

To make a long conversation short all that is needed in a DWC reservoir to keep your roots healthy and to keep Algae, Slime, and Root rot away is to run Beneficiary Bacteria! I personally use Botanicare aquashield. There are quite a few products that do the same thing out there!

So since you are running a reservoir 2BLgL keep that in mind! I wouldnt recommend putting frozen water bottles in your reservoir as they can get close to your roots and damage them. Just run beneficiaries!
:thumb: :goodluck:

a root care product is def a must ,beneficiaries are essential as hunternitro says :thumb:

I plan on using cannazyme as i have seen what it does big bushy white roots

Been working all weekend and have made some more progress. Got inside of cabinet all painted. Built the support shelf to hold the exhaust fan and carbon filter and the LED light.
DSCN012213.JPG
DSCN012310.JPG
DSCN01258.JPG
DSCN012410.JPG

Wow looking awesome! Everything is coming together! Cant wait to see you completly setup! Dont forget to make a grow journal so we can follow along also! I have that same fan (6inch size) and love it! Great price to! What size LED is that?

Back
Top Bottom