RDWC Bucket System Build - Need Help!

JoseQuervo

Hey Guys.

I am in the process of switching over my flower tent from soil to a RDWC Bucket system. So far I have designed the system I think will work for me and gotten all the parts. Before I start setting it up I had a few questions I was hoping you folks could help me out with. I see a lot of people on here using them and hoping some people with experience could chime in.

For some background the flower tent is 8x8. It has 2 x 1000w air cooled lights on light rails. In the tent I have 2 x 3x6 flood trays on the floor. I was using to catch the run off from my soil grow. I plan to leave them in there. as they were expensive and I don't really have any place to store them. I plan on putting 2 independent systems in there. One on each side. I was planing on doing 12 buckets on each side with a control bucket and res for each side.

What I am wondering is:

I see in a lot of set ups that people have the water return coming from the pump going into the top of the bucket on the side. usually with a 1/2 hose and fitting. The guy at my local hydro shop was pretty instant that I should use a smaller emitter tube and a v-stake in each plant pouring water over medium. I can see how that would be helpful at first before the roots reach the water. but is it necessary? should I just have the water going into the side of the bucket like I see in most videos or set ups?

also:

I was planning on doing 12 buckets in the 3x6 area. The buckets will be pretty close side by side. I planned it this way because when I was growing in 3gal pots that's how I had it set up with 12 plants on each side. Would I maybe do better with less buckets and more space in between them and then do some time of SCROG set up. Do you guys think I would get more flowers with less plants and more screen, or more plants and less screen? I see some of the posts on here with one plant SCROG'd out so much I could use just 2 or 4 buckets and get them same coverage as the 12.

Thanks so much for any help. I want to start building the system up soon.

Here is a pic of the layout I planned.

SCAN00014.JPG

:thanks:

High Jose

There is no real need for top feeding once the roots are out of the pots. It might help for the first couple of weeks depending on if you have a ring that drips the nutes in all around the stem. If it's just pissing in in one spot it won't be much help other than you will be able to easily see that nutes are going to each pot. With an air stone in each pail it will make sure that the plant doesn't get root rot and infect the whole system should an emitter get plugged. A 3/8" line going into the side might work better as long as so much is going into the pails that the return line cant get it back fast enough so the pails overflow.

Speaking of the nutes, are you chilling them? A lot of guys swear by Hydroguard but I've never used it and have heard negative things about it too. I'd go with VooDoo Juice and whatever the other stuff is that AN makes for beneficials if I had the cash but the chiller is working good.

I would also go with less pails and bigger screens if you're going to ScroG all of them. You'll need to be able to reach the whole screen(s) easily to work on the tops without bending over for long periods. Kills my back to do that.

L8r

Chilling the nutes to help prevent root rot and increase the oxygen content.

I'm keeping mine about 63F with my DIY office cooler chiller.

L8r

A small 400 gph pump uses about 25 watts... All the heat that a pump makes goes into the water.... That big of a system will need a water chiller to remove that heat... You haven't been reading enough if you don't know what a chiller is... Your best bet would be go to the Journal forums and read till you find a system you like, then copy it... With no experience with rdwc, you really should do a few runs on a smaller system..... Why risk losing an entire crop, do half and half in your tent...

Back
Top Bottom