Iso-2 oil

elfstone

I bought the Iso-2 from Thai Power back in 1976 or so and have used it on and off over the years. Since developing chronic pain and becoming a legal medical marijuana patient, I have found this device to be invaluable. Here is a little photo of what it looks like:

Here is a little photo of the extract it can make (I use Everclear ethanol for all my extractions):

iso2-5.jpg

Occasionally, someone is selling one on ebay or through the local medical marijuana associations. I have replaced the heat source about 3 times in the past 24 years (a 100W light bulb is what I prefer, though it shipped with a 150W bulb - ethanol doesn't require as high a heat as the isopropanol, which the machine was made to work with).

The extract can be mixed with whole wheat flour to make a workable little oil ball. Depending on the strain, a piece the size of a small pellet is sufficient. You have to be careful as it is very easy to take it out too far, which puts one out of commission for a few hours.

I can distinguish the different effects of the various strains quite easily using the extract. Jack Herer is great for waking up and getting things done, as is White Widow, while Bubba Kush is good for bedtime.

Peace,

Elfstone

How does that gizmo operate?

The Iso-2 has a basket that sits in the top of the extraction chamber. You place a coffee filter and about an ounce of bud inside it, pour about 24 oz. of ethanol through it into the extraction chamber, then put the condenser unit on top, fill the condenser unit's reservoir with distilled water to aid in cooling and condensation, then turn on the heat source. The ethanol evaporates and is cooled in the condenser, dripping down through the herb and extracting the essential oils. You let it reflux for about 12 hours, then pull the herb out of the basket and put in a reclamation cup, which then catches the alcohol as it drips down from the condenser unit, for use again in the next extraction cycle. Once you have most of the alcohol evaporated off, you lower the heat and slowly drive off the last bits of it, carefully to not burn the oil. The oil has been heated and, hence, decarboxylated, and is ready for oral consumption. I mix it with a bit of whole wheat flour to buffer it and make it less sticky and more manageable. A piece about the size of a BB is a moderate does. A piece about the size of 4 BBs will lay you flat. It is a wonderful way to ingest medibles.

Oh my God! I have one of these too that I bought back in the 70's, though I've only used it a couple of times. I plan to start using it again in the near future. As I recall, it needs to be used in a well ventilated area, preferably an outdoor building like a garage or shed. You do get the pot smell from it, but its the alcohol fumes you need to be careful of. With the vapor in the air, there could easily be an explosion if it finds an ignition point!

I found mine right here on 420MAG awhile ago. I love this place!

The Iso's work GREAT! We use it all the time. Not too many people know what they are and how they work. You can do so much with the oil. It's like liquid hash.

My top part has a charcoal filter in it. I just replace the charcoal from time to time and I don't get that alcohol smell. Just pop off the black plastic cap. dump. refill with active charcoal and you're good to go.

Damn, I recall these being advertised in H&^g Ti*&es mag in the 70's... should have bought one then.. or 10 of them...

Any idea where(other then luck) these could be found?

maybe some one should make them again?

There are other oil extractors on the market, but they are very expensive.

What about a press? Any thoughts.. local 420 coalition is buying one for member use... anyone try one of them?

I haven't seen one of those things in 30 years!

They tended to get a bad rap because the company who built the things claimed you could basically make high quality oil out of ditchweed in their ads. As they were expensive as all get out for the time,people would buy the things,run low grade weed through 'em and get low grade oil. Very unhappy customers.

You could snatch 'em up for nothing from folks who went the cheap weed route and thought they were a ripoff. If you knew to use the high quality Colombians or homegrown of the day you could make some nice oil at a dirt cheap price.

hey im 24 and my dad gave me thai power iso2 maker. i come from a 3rd generation growing family. but my pops isnt around so much. do you think you could tell me your method in detail how you make your oil (i know its a lot to ask). im pro at making supercritical extraction or c02 or o2 extraction but this iso machine with these 1970 instrustions are kind of sketchy. please help:roorrip:

The Iso-2 has a basket that sits in the top of the extraction chamber. You place a coffee filter and about an ounce of bud inside it, pour about 24 oz. of ethanol through it into the extraction chamber, then put the condenser unit on top, fill the condenser unit's reservoir with distilled water to aid in cooling and condensation, then turn on the heat source. The ethanol evaporates and is cooled in the condenser, dripping down through the herb and extracting the essential oils. You let it reflux for about 12 hours, then pull the herb out of the basket and put in a reclamation cup, which then catches the alcohol as it drips down from the condenser unit, for use again in the next extraction cycle. Once you have most of the alcohol evaporated off, you lower the heat and slowly drive off the last bits of it, carefully to not burn the oil. The oil has been heated and, hence, decarboxylated, and is ready for oral consumption. I mix it with a bit of whole wheat flour to buffer it and make it less sticky and more manageable. A piece about the size of a BB is a moderate does. A piece about the size of 4 BBs will lay you flat. It is a wonderful way to ingest medibles.
hey im 24 and my dad gave me thai power iso2 maker. i come from a 3rd generation growing family. but my pops isnt around so much. do you think you could tell me your method in detail how you make your oil (i know its a lot to ask). im pro at making supercritical extraction or c02 or o2 extraction but this iso machine with these 1970 instrustions are kind of sketchy. please help

Hi Elfstone,

Cleaning out my garage I found my old ISO 2. I'm a medical marijuana patient and would like to give this a try. I read your instructions on 420Magazine and have a few questions:

1. Where do you put the water for condensation?
2. What is the reclamation chamber? I have the basket that has the holes in which you place the herb, but no other basket.
3. What number on the dial do you set it on?
4. Is 12 hours enough time?
5. Do you have an instruction booklet? I'd be willing to buy a xerox copy.

To work the extraction, think of it as a kind of coffee maker. You place a coffee filter in the basket, place your herb in it, and then put about 4 cups of everclear in the bottom, place the condenser on top, secure with the springs, and then fill the basin of the condenser with distiller water. Run it on 12 over night, for 8-10 hours, turn it off, let it cool, then check to see if the herb is fully leached (it will look brown, no green). Then take the herb out of the basket and place a glass cup in it, put on the condenser, make sure there is distiller water in the bottom of the condenser unit, and turn it on to reclaim the alcohol. You will have to empty the cup a few times (save the alcohol, it can be re-used). When you get down to the last cup, make sure the heat is set to 3 or 4, so as not to burn the oil.

Elfstone

Thanks, Elfstone. I appreciate it.

One thing I'm not clear about. Where do you pour the water? Does the water go inside the dohickey on the top, or does it go in the channels at the base of the dohickey. I don't see how that would aid condensation.

Where the central tube is joined to the base, the Top of the lid, you pour 12 oz. of water, which is warmed and evaporates while the unit is on. You will have to add more water during an extraction cycle. The top chamber holds activated charcoal to trap odors. The black plastic can be pried off with the edge of a kitchen knife and the charcoal can be replaced. The unit heat source is a 200 watt incandescent light bulb, which can also be replaced. The hot table pot can be lifted out of the base to do this.

Thanks, I'll look forward to your instruction book scans. My unit has been sitting in the closet since 1982, but apparently in almost as new condition. I hope it works when I give it a run.

It's basically a kind of home-made soxhlet extraction unit. It works quite well, but the oil is whole-plant; chlorophyll and all. There are "water wash" techniques covered in the manuals to assist with cleaning up the oil.

Hey bro. I haven't had my hand on one of these since the mid 70s. I,m supposed to have a lead on one though. How ever if you could shoot me the info. on the manuals it would be much appreciated and any location to get replacement charcoal etc. Thanks a million highs !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom