How dry should trim be before making butter?

The title says it all. I have a big ol' tupperware full of Kryptonite trim from my latest plant. Having never made edibles before I humbly ask: How dry should the trim be before making canna-butter?

Will the chlorophyll taste transfer over to the butter like it does when bud is smoked too soon after harvest?

I always let my trim dry on a cookie pan for about 2 weeks or until it is crispy. My girl makes the butter, she likes to do it. She likes to mix 2 oz of trim to 1lb of butter because she like it strong. We will strain it using a cheese cloth. You will definitely be able to taste the flavor of the trim in the butter and whatever you make with it as well.

Best way to get rid of the taste is to add water. I suggest making it in a crock pot then freezing off the water. This process can be repeated for less pot taste. If you are concerned about that.

Here's how I make mine... Google Sites: Sign-in

hey guys I just had a quick question, after I harvested I took all of my trim and put it into storage bags, and stuck it into the freezer, where it still remains. I see now after reading your posts that it should be dried first before putting it into a crackpot. so is it still good to use?

I wish more WOULD reply on How to Store trim leaves?? what are the different options for storing or Drying for that matter... Trim not Buds..! Thanks

freezer.

yeppers. no need to really dry (or even thaw) trim for edibles, fresh, frozen, dry, its all good.
slowly melt in butter or oil in covered crock pot or double boiler.

Thanks... So the same goes IF I want to make Tincture later on...Just take them out of the freezer and go at it?

Thought I saw though that freezing them explodes the Tricomes etc..?

never heard that. not sure about tincture, but dont see why not.
a highly recommended step in bubble hash is freezing the trim first. it makes the stalks the trics sit on break off easier to release them.

YEah I guess putting the trim into the oven for 5 mins. or so in making butter is not needed as it gets heated up in the butter process to releaase the THC but Not sure in making tincture thought one had to heat in oven for a few mins. to release the THCA to Thc??

Its decarboxylation, and its done by heating the trim or buds at like 200ish idk.
It's good for tincture, I don't know about for making butter. You would be doing this process while releasing it to the butter, no? Or at least your cooking temperature, which will be likely more at 300-320.

SO I had thought when one does this the Alcohol, releases all.. and one doesn`t have to do the oven deal..I have done this a few times and never used any oven..So whats up with having to use the oven.. mine turned out Great No Oven???

Allow me to add to this discussion.

As far as useing trimmings and how to store, I look at it like this; It is the resin that we want, just like on the buds. We want the resin to cure properly so the the cnb/thc can mature. So I cure my trim just like I do buds, dry, jar, etc.
(Two things though, I do not use fan leaves. Just the close trimmings from fresh buds, and also I trim when fresh then dry.)
When I am about the make keif/hash/oil I freeze the trim a few hours in advance. Here is a tip... never use a coffee grinder or electric grinder do it manually by hand otherwise you just crush the resin into the green matter and adds way more green matter to final product.

Up in my neck of the woods we have been making oil since the 70's... not sure why but it is always plentiful here... honey oil/cherry oil/hash oil etc. I assume this is what a tintcher is? Either way when you mentioned alcohol I wanted to say DON'T USE A STOVE! Come on guys... saftey first. Alcohol evaporates fast so any heat at all helps, with iso I use a electric skiddle(no risk of igniting a spill)... don't bring to boil.. only ruins the taste. I usually do a "quick rinse" method. I take a jar 3/4 full of shake, add 500ml 99% isopropynol shake for 20 seconds and then run through coffee filter. Very clean oil and hardly and green matter. The last few years the rage here has been pure honey oil extracted with butane... a few freinds have really mastered this technique... oil is ready in 10 mins since the butane evaporates instantly. One of my buddies is just begining to experiment with naptha to extract resin and has high hopes.
Saftey first! Houses get blown to bits by people making oil using heat and alcohol and a buddy burned his face real bad when some fumes ignited. Think!
Jonny

Hi
yea adult male agree to that cut and blow arid at least possible back devising the butter. i agree to it answer too. makes it a great deal a cut above .
thanks..:thumb:

hope anyone can help :)

Hi guys long time reader only joined today. It has crossed my mind before and I have searched for the answer to no avail.Basically a friend of mine grows and I wanted to know whether I can use his plant trimmings to cook with.
I plan on using an oil extraction method and then using the extract in cooking baked goods for myself and a few freinds.
Firstly how low is the thc content in what would be classified the trimmings?(the plants it's coming from would be medium standard)
a lot of recipes call for between 4- 10 grams of med-high quality plants in your recipe of say brownies(16 servings), is it possible to increse the amount of plant given that the quality of thc may be less in the trimmings?(sorry if this seems like a silly question)
is it really worth it to cook and extract with trimmings is what im really at here.Im very much looking forward to trying these methods out and baking up some delicious sthuff
I welcome and appreciate any comments or feedabck.

Back
Top Bottom