Marijuana Medicinal Tea concoction

Medijuana

My wife and I have been brewing strong Earl Gray tea and adding some sugar and creamer (hazelnut is splendid!) for some time now. We used to brew it in the coffeemaker, but it died again, so I now simply boil water and set my tea in a basket right on top of the saucepan and let it steep.

Naturally, I decided to try adding some ground up weed. I put about a joint worth in a tea ball and drop it in the tea after it's steeped and just let it sit in there. Now, I've read enough pages regarding marijuana tea to make my head pop, and I guess my question is this: Since the creamer has saturated fat (5%), the THC in the tea should bind to that, correct? Also, the Earl Gray tea (we use the loose tea) has Bergamut oil in it as well. I'd think that between the two (we use probably 1/10 cup of creamer... great for the arteries, no doubt) the THC would bind quite well. I know that within 1/2 our of drinking our tea, my pains are greatly decreased and my mood gets chipper, so obviously it's working. I'm just wondering if it's better to add the weed after we steep the tea, or would better results be had by dropping the ball in the water right after I turn of the heat and add the basket of tea?

I generally pour it in the carafe of our Bunn coffer maker and let it sit there to stay warm. I generally reuse the weed in the ball for the next pot and just add some more to it. If I use roachweed, I'll keep it in the ball for the next day's tea.

Comments? Advice? Much appreciated.

Oh, I'll be experimenting with this a LOT. I've been doing this for about a month and a half now. I truly didn't expect much when I first tried it. I started with a ragu jar full of clippings and small buds left over from my growing experiment a couple years back. I read all the "THC isn't water-soluble" arguments but I figured I'd do something with that stuff, so I put some in the tea. My MD cut me off of vicodin cold turkey about two months ago and I was in living hell up until I started the tea experiments. It's helped in a most miraculous way. I had been on the codeine for over 10 years for RA, fibromyalgia and pains from my bypass surgery in 2002 (reason I don't want to smoke it).

I was actually amazed at the results, and had been tinkering with the recipe. Today, I busted up a few roaches and tossed them in the teaball. One difference today was that I made the tea "old-skool" way with a saucepan of boiling water and steeping the tea in a strainer basket since the coffeemaker we used for tea died. Then I tossed the ball in an let it sit a few minutes before we had a cup. The wife and I surely felt it. The second cup was even stronger and there is still 2 cups sitting in the pot. That was probably around 6PM when I made it and it's 2AM now and I still feel it.

My thought is that there is just enough of the bergamot oil in the Earl Gray to dissolve the THC, and adding the creamer and sugar to it helps too.

After a month and a half of experimenting, I can assure you it's not a "placebo" effect because we snuck our caretaker a cup one day when we were having a cook-out... a half hour later, he asked me if there was weed in it because he had, as he said, "one hell of a body buzz" going on it. This was with some really good Kush we had at the time and the pot had been on the warmer for a couple hours. I never would have done it except I knew he was used to MMJ as he is also a patient. For him to notice that dramatically in my blind test means something's got to be on the right track.

With the hazelnut creamer, Earl Gray tea and sugar, the taste is just plain wonderful.

If we don't have our tea, we're run down feeling, in pain and cranky. After the first cup, we're beginning to feel much better and after the second, we feel just great, full of energy and get a lot of work done around here. I'll say right now that I'd rather have this tea concoction than a vicodin ANY DAY!

No wonder big med hates MMJ so much... it actually works!

One thing I probably should clarify here... my intent for the tea is NOT to get high, but rather to be able to control my high levels of pain so I can function on a somewhat "normal" level. Perhaps the tea made as I have been making it won't get anyone "high" but if that's what you want, simply go roll a spliff! Nothing wrong with that at all, and if the tea doesn't suit your intent, don't bother with it. I just know I've stumbled upon something that helps my wife and I to be able to experience life in much less pain than without it.

Perhaps it's not the THC levels in the tea as much as it is the other chemicals in the weed, of which many are water-soluble, that helps alleviate our chronic pain and lifts our mood. I don't really know, I just know it helps us both and that's all I can ask of it. I'd like to experiment and get it the most effective as I can.

Heck.. MMJ in general is merely an ongoing experiment in attempting to provide the most effective product. Look how far marijuana has progressed from the 70's and 80's. Many people had to try some really radical ideas and theories to get to where weed is today. Just imagine seeing some of the bud pictures here in the grow forum back in 1975... buds the size of footballs and plants drooping with fist-sized nugs, shining with tris, growing in someone's back room... you'd freak out for sure! Nothing in High Times back in those days could even compare to many of the freakin' trees right here in the grow forum. A lot of trial-and-error happened between then and now, I guarantee it.

Great write up Medijuana!! I've only dabbled with making teas but instead of creamer I added a slight amount of milk to mine 2% (about 1tbsp) and had also a very good effect. A very mild body numbing, warm feeling which definitely took any pains away and put me in a very good mood, not high but just feeling like a great day type of feeling.

You may want to try seeking some high CBD strains to make your tea with, I believe this is the active cannabinoid that helps deal with pain. One that comes to mind is harliquinn which is bred for its high cbd content.

On an somewhat unreleated comment, I tried a new tea called Chocolate Mint Oolong tea and it is by far the best tasting tea I have ever had, almost like a liquid andes mint. :) highly recommend trying it :)

You may want to try seeking some high CBD strains to make your tea with, I believe this is the active cannabinoid that helps deal with pain. One that comes to mind is harliquinn which is bred for its high cbd content.
Thank you! I've been wracking my brain trying to remember the name of that strain all night! I'll ask my caretaker about that when he comes by later.

On an somewhat unreleated comment, I tried a new tea called Chocolate Mint Oolong tea and it is by far the best tasting tea I have ever had, almost like a liquid andes mint. :) highly recommend trying it :)
THAT has my undivided attention! I love those mints! I'll look for that most definitely!

Well, even though the wife and I stayed up all night looking at the "creme de la Creme" thread (all 90 pages!), the last pot of tea had us feeling good enough to get the lawn mowed... it was the first cut of the year and we've had tons of rain here last month, so it was rough! It was one of those times when I wonder why I never bought a riding mower!

This Morning, the wife and I woke up sore from yard work and kinda "draggy" (see next paragraph as to why), so I tried making the tea with a Sativa strain and just a pinch of an Indica strain. Steeped it for about 20 minutes, we had a cup. By the end of the first cup, our neck and back muscles started to relax. By the second cup, all pain was gone and we were ready to start our work for the day. We would take another tea break after a few hours working around the yard and that took care of us the rest of the day.

Last evening, our caretaker came over to drop off our meds to us. We rolled a mixed joint and smoked it between 5 people. I hit it six times and I couldn't take anymore. I was ripped... too high, actually for an hour or so and then I was highly buzzed for the rest of the night. My eyes looked like they were gonna bleed! Wifey and I both went to bed at a decent hour and slept like a rock which is totally unusual for me under pretty much any conditions as I tend to wake up several times a night. That sure was wonderful.

Just a bit ago, I made a pot with just the indica, with a Tension Tamer baggie added to half as much earl gray. Tastes wonderful, a little spicier from the herb tea bag. Dropped the ball in to steep while I played a blow-em-up game on the PC for 20 minutes. Got done, got us each a cup and started sipping. I can already feel it starting to relax me. You can definitely taste the weed in it!

I'm going to dry out the weed that was in the tea ball and smoke in our pipe. I'm curious what it'll taste like with a bit of tea flavor to it! Might be good, might be horrible, but I guess we'll find out. I had been tossing it, which I realize now was probably quite dumb.

Edit to add: We both had two cups of tea in the past hour... I feel like I've had a 1/2 mg of ativan. I'm so going to bed now.

I am happy to hear what you are using is working. I have not had any luck brewing my weed in my tea. I have tried melting it in coconut oil, heavy whipping cream, everything. It smokes great, but I cannot smoke. I have moved on to extracting keif and I'm making butter to spread on my vegies at dinner. Still would love to figure out the tea thing though.

I'm going to try it with cinnamon tea & let you know how it works. I can't wait to see if it will work for me as I have fibromyalgia & Astio Arthritis & a few others that make life misrable sometimes. (not a good speller, lol).

The above post contradicts everything I have read about brewing weed tea. Supposedly you have to extract the THC with some kind of fat. I have tried just boiling it and brewing it like tea and it does not work. that's why I commented on the above post. I would love to know if anyone else has had any luck simply brewing weed like regular tea without having to go through the time consuming hassle of having to extract the THC first with a fat.

The above post contradicts everything I have read about brewing weed tea. Supposedly you have to extract the THC with some kind of fat. I have tried just boiling it and brewing it like tea and it does not work. that's why I commented on the above post. I would love to know if anyone else has had any luck simply brewing weed like regular tea without having to go through the time consuming hassle of having to extract the THC first with a fat.

I had some luck yesterday. I just put a little nugget into a tea ball; heated my water, a little sugar & steeped the ball for about 5 minutes & it was perfect for me. It helped some the pains I've been getting in my legs, so, yes; I'll try it again. I woulf sometimes use MJ tenture, in whatever I was drinking, but that started to give me leg cramps. Had to find something else that I could use. This seems to do it. Thank you!

butterfly lady: the best thing Ive found on the market for cramps or restless leg syndrome is Dr. Calms.Takes cramps away in under 5 minutes(ive sufferd them going on 15 years) its a natural magnesium product.My body doesnt retain calcium like its supposed to so if I dont eat a regular high calcium diet I get cramps that are wicked painful.So lots of dark greens,and nuts,flax seeds blah blah.

Tried finding Dr. Calms without any luck, could you send me a web site? Anyone got any ideas where I can get seeds to grow outdoors that isn't going to cost an arm or leg. I live on a very limited budget, so, can't afford much.

Back
Top Bottom