MJ Honey Sliders?

Pinch

Does anyone have a recipe for "honey sliders" as per Neil Young? Thanks.

Could not be better my friend.
Fam is good, I'm good... it's all good.
I help feed folks in Berkeley/Oakland.
That keeps me busy.
Always with a smile...

here you go

In the Neil Young biography 'Shakey', there is a reference to a mysterious concoction known as a 'honey slide' that was heavily consumed during the 'On The Beach' sessions:

"The high was debilitating. 'People passed out,' said Elliot Roberts. 'This stuff was, like, way worse than heroin. Much heavier. Rusty [Kershaw] would pour it down your throat and within ten minutes you were catatonic."
Here's Neil's notorious recipe for "Honey Slides" as he described it at a concert at the Bottom Line Club in New York City, NY, May 16, 1974 while introducing the song "Motion Pictures".

Neil: "Anyway, we're in this hotel room (harmonica), we're trying some honey-slides, you know....You know what a honey-slide is? (voice from audience: Yes!) Honey-slide, mmmmmmn!

You know, poor grade marijuana (he's playing soft guitar all through this... Motion Pictures intro), worse than you get on the street, and you take it and you get your old lady, you know, if you got one, to cook it up on the stove, you know, put that stuff in the grinder, get it real fine, in a frying pan, put it on the stove, turn the heat up a little, wait till the grass just starts to smoke, just a little bit, take it off the heat, don't want to burn it too much (laughter and a few guitar bars), then you take the honey, you know, get a half a glass of honey about this big - I hope you ladies are listening to the recipies tonight - (audience laughter and a few words missing) just heat that honey up until it's slippery, you know, and mix that grass with it, you know the fine grass that you've cooked up just until it started to smoke and you took it off, mix those together and you get a spoon you know (voices from the audience and laughter).

I think you should eat it after that. Just eat a little of it, you know, maybe a spoonful or two, you'll be surprised, it just makes you feel fine... (laughter) That cheap grass is great. You know, in these times, you have to think about prices and things like that (laughter).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There you have it, straight from the Neiler's mouth. Although, before I ever heard the tape, we would just take some honey, heat it in a small frying pan, lay buds in it (turning them over to get them well soaked with the honey while it heated) Heat it pretty hot (but not "popping") for 5 - 10 minutes. Put it in the freezer to cool it off, and voila, that's what we called honey-slides. You can use the stem of the bud as a handle... Eat them just like candy. (not too much now!) OK, school is out. Have a blast boys and girls.

It's all in your mind,

-julio

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apparently, the honey slides were quite wicked and could induce hallucinations. Check out the "On The Beach" liner notes by Rusty Kershaw, slide guitar and fiddle:

"Not to speak of the fun we had.
We laughed so hard we all had bruised ribs.
On revolution blues, I turned
into a python than an
aligator, I was crawling like one
making noises like one.
Plus I was eating up the
carpet and mike stands and such
and in the meanwhile I started
to crawl up towards neil,
which is pretty spooky."

Wicked indeed.

Honey Slides

Mr Buckshot, thank you so much.
Gave info to an MS friend who created "honey slide" in her kitchen.
Have yet to try but will report when I do.
Again, my thanks.

Mr Buckshot, thank you so much.
Gave info to an MS friend who created "honey slide" in her kitchen.
Have yet to try but will report when I do.
Again, my thanks.

I like them, I use good bud and powder it really fine...

we used to make these little snacks back in the late 60's. Oh boy did we think we were the shit!
One must keep in mind, the difference in the weed from then to now to appretiate the referances to hallucinogenic highs.
Back then, EVERYTHING made us trip.lol There was so much acid & angle dust around I think it ended up in everything.
I did think I was just super high from the sliders though. And they're GOOD too.
I think if you made sliders out of a 1/4 "lid" (not ounce like today's measure) of the weed we have now & ate it all, you really would trip, not just think it. I can't wait!
In the day, me & 3 friends would split a lid. $2.50 each. & make sliders out of all of it & each eat our 1/4th lid. It WAS fun.
Anyone else remember the 4 finger lid for $10.00? Key's for $100.00? even if it was Mexican ditch weed, we sure had fun. lol

we used to make these little snacks back in the late 60's. Oh boy did we think we were the shit!
One must keep in mind, the difference in the weed from then to now to appretiate the referances to hallucinogenic highs.
Back then, EVERYTHING made us trip.lol There was so much acid & angle dust around I think it ended up in everything.
I did think I was just super high from the sliders though. And they're GOOD too.
I think if you made sliders out of a 1/4 "lid" (not ounce like today's measure) of the weed we have now & ate it all, you really would trip, not just think it. I can't wait!
In the day, me & 3 friends would split a lid. $2.50 each. & make sliders out of all of it & each eat our 1/4th lid. It WAS fun.
Anyone else remember the 4 finger lid for $10.00? Key's for $100.00? even if it was Mexican ditch weed, we sure had fun. lol

Mr. Gloman, we were "the shit".:thumb:
"Hallucinogenic highs"... yes, yes - tripped frequently in those early days.
"Lids" - yes, yes, I remember.:high-five:
I grew up in the Toronto area, lot more hash than weed.
Anyone familiar with Toronto then was also familiar with "Rochdale".
Those were days... craziness.

Rochdale College - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My buddies and I used to hang with this character in Ontario, Canada... 60s,70s.

Have enjoyed California cannabis for decades now.
Have enjoyed both Southern and Northern California.
I call it my home because it is.
Home is where I hang my hat.:peace:

WOW!
I remember those days!
a bottle "LID" was heated with a match. (back when they were metal)
you passed the lid around whifing the vapors.
ahh , the early 70's. those were the days.
Slag

Back
Top Bottom