Cooking with Curso

Greetings folks,

A few people had asked me to post some recipes. So, I figured it wouldn't hurt to show some people how I go about making edibles.

I have a pretty vast experience with food being a chef for longer than I haven't been. So I have a bit of a clue of what I am doing when it comes to things concerning food. I have been the chef at various restaurants, catering venues and a few joints out of the country. I love playing with food. It's one of my biggest passions, right next to Cannabis. So in this thread I will be mixing the 2.

In this first recipe I am making Chocolate Truffles with various toppings (toasted coconut, spiced roasted pecans, toffee, pretzel and a couple candied bacon. I used a dark chocolate for the ganache for the center and a milk chocolate for the coating. I am doctoring Alton Brown's recipe to make it medicated. I omitted the brandy and added tincture and used butter from my Magic butter machine instead of regular butter.

The candied bacon recipe is simple, coat a parchment lined pan with brown sugar and sprinkle some cayenne pepper over it. Lay the bacon over the sugar/pepper mixture and bake it @ 350 for 20 minutes. Leave it on the pan for 2 more then transfer it to another sheet of parchment to cure.

The recipe is as follows...
Ingredients
10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
1/4c Magic Butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/3 c of tincture
1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa powder, finely chopped nuts, and/or toasted coconut, for coating truffles
8 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine

Directions
Place the 10 ounces of chocolate and butter in a medium size glass mixing bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Remove and stir, and repeat this process 1 more time. Set aside.

Heat the heavy cream and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Remove from the heat and pour the mixture over the melted chocolate mixture; let stand for 2 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, stir gently, starting in the middle of bowl and working in concentric circles until all chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth and creamy. Gently stir in the brandy. Pour the mixture into an 8 by 8-inch glass baking dish and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

Using a melon baller, scoop chocolate onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and return to the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Place the cocoa powder, nuts, and/or toasted coconut each in its own pie pan and set aside.

In the meantime, place the 8 ounces of chocolate into a medium mixing bowl which is sitting on top of a heating pad lined bowl, with the heating pad set to medium. Depending on the heating pad, you may need to adjust the heat up or down. Stirring the chocolate occasionally, test the temperature of the chocolate and continue heating until it reaches 90 to 92 degrees F; do not allow the chocolate to go above 94 degrees F. If you do, the coating will not have a nice snap to it when you bite into the chocolate. Once you have reached the optimal temperature, adjust the heat to maintain it.

Remove the truffles from the refrigerator and shape into balls by rolling between the palms of your hands. Use powder-free vinyl or latex gloves, if desired.

Dip an ice cream scoop into the chocolate and turn upside down to remove excess chocolate. Place truffles 1 at time into the scoop and roll around until coated. Then place the truffle into the dish with either the cocoa powder, nuts or coconut. Move the truffle around to coat; leave truffle in the coating for 10 to 15 seconds before removing. In the meantime, continue placing the chocolate-coated truffles in the cocoa or other secondary coating. After 10 to 15 seconds, remove the truffle to a parchment lined sheet pan. Repeat until all truffles are coated. Allow to set in a cool dry place for at least 1 hour; or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Truffles are best when served at room temperature.

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2004

IMG_72944.JPG
IMG_72951.JPG
IMG_72962.JPG
IMG_72982.JPG
IMG_7297.JPG
IMG_72992.JPG
IMG_73062.JPG
IMG_73072.JPG
IMG_7308.JPG
IMG_73121.JPG
IMG_73172.JPG
IMG_73224.JPG
IMG_73252.JPG
IMG_73243.JPG
IMG_7326.JPG
IMG_73272.JPG
IMG_73282.JPG
IMG_73293.JPG
IMG_73303.JPG
IMG_73314.JPG
IMG_73323.JPG
IMG_73334.JPG
IMG_73342.JPG
IMG_73355.JPG
IMG_73363.JPG
IMG_73393.JPG
IMG_7338.JPG

And the candied bacon...
IMG_73021.JPG
IMG_73011.JPG
IMG_73001.JPG
IMG_73042.JPG
IMG_73052.JPG
IMG_73092.JPG
IMG_7310.JPG
IMG_7311.JPG
IMG_73142.JPG
IMG_73153.JPG
IMG_73182.JPG
IMG_73192.JPG

Enjoy folks...I found this recipe fun to accomplish and the medicine is fantastic. I would suggest this to anyone with a big smile on my face. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I am here to help if I can with questions pertaining to food. How we make our extracts is up to us. If I can help I'll be happy to help :D

Many more to come...

:peacetwo::bigtoke::peacetwo:

Love the thread and wow, those edibles look amazing!!!!

I will have to keep this in mind for future adventures with my MB2 :)

Thanks for the detailed recipe!

I've been stuck on truffles for a while. People seem to love them. So today I have to make more. I'll take some pics of the finished product and post them for you guys. I adjusted the recipe a bit and have some testers out of the "new" ganche. I like it but, I prefer my friends opinion too. So once I hear back from everyone I'll post the new ganche. But today I'll have some new trufffles to show ya...Pics at some point. These things are kinda labor intensive, so it'll be a minute.

I also picked up a really nice walnut oil I am going to infuse for cookies, chocolate and maybe some cakeish type of thing.

To be continued.....

Okay I have more pics and a mile long post to write but here is one of the finished products....Caramel/crispy rice center, magic ganche, chocolate coating and a chocolate "rock" candy with some colored sugar and blah blah....I'll tell ya all about it in the morning.

We're calling this truffle "The Road Less Traveled" (the high road...)
IMG_74752.JPG

:peacetwo:

One of the best threads on this site if you ask me...But I love to cook especially with cannabis!! those truffles look like a must do ASAP

Thanks for the link to get me over here Curso!

im subbed and looking forward to seeing what you do here and then replicating in my kitchen. :)

+rep and thanks for taking time to share and post your knowledge its way beyond appreciated!!:Namaste::high-five:

Love the thread and wow, those edibles look amazing!!!!

I will have to keep this in mind for future adventures with my MB2 :)

Thanks for the detailed recipe!

Dude they are so much fun. You could make cap'n crunch truffles if you wanted...:)

I have looked forward to your recipes for a long time Curso! Thank you for posting these recipes!

I am happy to have ya here bro. I should have done this a while back but I wasn't really set up for it. Now I am and away we go....

I am here forever!! Like Mr. Buffet said so well, ''I have found me a home''. Thanks and congratulations to you Curso.

WJ

Thanks WJ!!! Its good to have ya in my little cooking show...I'll do my best to show you guys some fun stuff that's relativity easy that is sure to impress people.

One of the best threads on this site if you ask me...But I love to cook especially with cannabis!! those truffles look like a must do ASAP

Thanks for the link to get me over here Curso!

im subbed and looking forward to seeing what you do here and then replicating in my kitchen. :)

+rep and thanks for taking time to share and post your knowledge its way beyond appreciated!!:Namaste::high-five:

Thanks bro!!! I am happy to share what I have gained over the years and combine the method's that I love and hold close to my heart with cannabis and making some truly unique things that everyone should be able to pretty much do and enjoy for years to come.

Truffles continued....

More truffles....Sorry for being boring with them but the possibilities are pretty endless with them and people seem to really enjoy them. To me that's what matters. People enjoying them and them making medicating easy.

This should go without saying but I hate when this isn't stressed....Make sure your area is clean. It doesn't matter if you just took it out of a drawer, sanitize it. There is nothing more important than starting clean, working clean and keeping things clean. Remember things in a kitchen should be cleaner than a hospital, everything we construct in that area goes in our bodies.

Remember we are making medicine here. Please start with washed bud. Who knows what pathogen is on a leaf, we do hold our plants in the danger zone. So let's be smart about making edibles and use clean produce, I wash my potatoes before I process them, I hope you would too. Same thing. Our plants sit in our area's for months. Let's think of a table undusted for 2 weeks and multiply that by 4 just in flower. So please, don't feed people your dust, hair, dead skin, pet dander, ect. If you need instructions on the wash there is a thread started by Hiker her on 420mag a simple search will provide it to you. DocBud started this method and it only makes sense, to wash our smoke and food. It gives some of the smoothest smoke you'll come across.

I did 3 kinds last night. We'll go through 2 of them (the other one is just hodge podge of the toppings I used an everything bagel kind of thing).

We will start with the chocolate I used for the coating. It's basically 2 parts milk chocolate to 1 part dark. I chop that into small pieces so they'll melt fast, cover them, throw them in a bowl, put that bowl on a heating pad and place them both in a larger bowl. Please follow instructions with this, over heating the chocolate will cause it to lose its snap and that's what makes a truffle a truffle. Microwaving the chocolate is fantastic for drizzles and other applications. Heating it slow and low is important to having the proper bite on the coating, leaving the center creamy and smooth. I don't like to use a water bath with it either. Just a little bit of moisture will seize up your chocolate and you'll be starting over in no time. Over heating over boiling water will seize it up as fast as moisture. So please just trust me on this one. It makes a difference. I start the heating pad on high and once it starts to break down I turn it down to medium.

While that is melting, start working the garnishes. This time I used, Chocolate Rocks, Reese Pieces Mini's, Rice crispy's, Chocolate covered Coffee Beans and some colored sugar.

The caramel....
I pressed it out in some plastic wrap and put some rice crispy on it and rolled it like sushi. Then cut it into desired sized pieces. Then, I flattened out some ganche and pressed the ganche around the caramel "sushi" rolled it and chilled it. I stuffed the ganche with a coffee bean in the same manor.
For the truffles without a filling I used the larger end of a melon baller and balled them. That requires little shaping by hand. Helps keep the mess factor down and keeps you from going through a box of gloves in 1lb of chocolate.

By the time you get all that done the chocolate in the bowl is melted and ready to be mixed together and ready to top. I use a big spoon and a scoop shaped small spatula and roll the ganche in the chocolate then into the topping. Spin them in the topping until they are round and coated. Allow them to sit in the coating until the next one is going in. That allows the chocolate to harden (cool chocolate hardens fast) and the topping adhere to the coating without putting finger print dents in your round truffle.

Label, date and refrigerate. They'll be good for about 8-10 days.

Pics...
IMG_74523.JPG

IMG_74552.JPG
IMG_74582.JPG
IMG_74532.JPG
IMG_74541.JPG
IMG_74561.JPG
IMG_74573.JPG
IMG_74592.JPG
IMG_74602.JPG
IMG_74612.JPG
IMG_74622.JPG
IMG_74633.JPG

IMG_74652.JPG
IMG_74643.JPG
IMG_74664.JPG
IMG_74672.JPG
IMG_74683.JPG
IMG_74693.JPG
IMG_74703.JPG
IMG_74713.JPG
IMG_74723.JPG
IMG_74732.JPG
IMG_74742.JPG
IMG_74753.JPG

:peacetwo::bigtoke::peacetwo:

Absolutely wonderful! Those confections look absolutely delicious Curso. Thanks for taking the time to post such thorough directions with pics. Cooking always needs pics, and yours do your products a service.

Props again man...and congrats on the new stripes. ;)

:cool:

Absolutely wonderful! Those confections look absolutely delicious Curso. Thanks for taking the time to post such thorough directions with pics. Cooking always needs pics, and yours do your products a service.

Props again man...and congrats on the new stripes. ;)

:cool:

Thanks bro!!!! Honestly it's pretty fun for me. I need to get a few items to plate them properly for pics...but it is what it is for now. Thanks for the support bro!!! I have received a bit of feed back from tester the reviews are pretty good. We'll hear the rest by the end of the week I am sure. I think we have a winner though. :high-five:

We were playing with truffles again tonight....

Here is "Cookies and Cream" they have an "inside out" oreo in the center, surrounded by magic ganache, coated with Milk/dark chocolate and finished with Oreo crumbs and a Marshmallow drizzle...

IMG_74971.JPG

Man these ones are extra good....:high-five:

We were playing with truffles again tonight....

Here is "Cookies and Cream" they have an "inside out" oreo in the center, surrounded by magic ganache, coated with Milk/dark chocolate and finished with Oreo crumbs and a Marshmallow drizzle...

IMG_74971.JPG

Man these ones are extra good....:high-five:

5-star! THIS is what I want to finish off a nice meal. That would be the best. Looking great Curso. :thumb:

5-star! THIS is what I want to finish off a nice meal. That would be the best. Looking great Curso. :thumb:

Thanks bro!!! I had a helper yesterday so we split the one that is cut...Man, honestly I might have raised the bar a little bit to high with that one. It tasted fantastic. My nephew was blown away at the creative process of making that. He now see's the difference between his corporate cooking job and what I do.

But man is that one good. Its a double dose too.

OMG !
Curso, ur a king chef!
the carmel rolled around rice crispys is brilliant.
can't wait to try these tricks!
and I thought chopping semi-sweet choc chips & melting on top my Choc rice Krispys was clever!
THANKS,
SLAG

OMG !
Curso, ur a king chef!
the carmel rolled around rice crispys is brilliant.
can't wait to try these tricks!
and I thought chopping semi-sweet choc chips & melting on top my Choc rice Krispys was clever!
THANKS,
SLAG

Thanks man!! They had better look good for all the experience have have with food bro. I've been slacking on the garnished finished pics.

We all start somewhere bro :high-five: Food is just what I have done for a living for longer than I haven't. I am happy to share these with you guys. I have some more to finish and take pics of, we didn't get that far last night. We ended up pretty medicated and I didn't feel like messing with them any more.

It was going to hard to top that pic last night....So we called it quits...LOL

We also made some Candy Cane and what we are calling "Thin Mint", I just have to get moving on them sometime today.

:bravo::bravo:

CCC:
CURSO'S CANNA CITCHEN!!!!!

id eat there breakfast lunch and dinner!

Amazing job Curso that looks stellar

Back
Top Bottom