Concentrated oil or butter?

toyboxgang

Hi all

We make our own butter using a magic butter machine and then make cookies with the butter. What I am wondering is if I was to purchase concentrated oil how could I use it to make a batch of cookies where I would normally use a pound of butter?

Is there a ratio to dilute the concentrate down to a less potent level?

My butter is made at the ratio of 1/4 0z with 1 lb of butter.

Any help would be appreciated.

:thumb:

What Fats Do
Before you start substituting ingredients in your baking, it's a good idea to understand what they do. Fats have three primary purposes in baking. First, they soften your baked goods by coating the particles of flour and preventing the formation of long, chewy gluten strands. Second, some fats, such as butter, add a richly distinctive flavor of their own. Third, solid fats play a vital role in determining the lightness and texture of the baked goods.

Creaming Your Fats
In recipes such as cakes and especially cookies that call for the butter and sugar to be creamed together, the mixer's paddle itself and the sharp corners of the sugar crystals gouge holes in the stiff fat as the paddle whips through the butter. This creates millions of tiny air spaces in the fat, which are retained in the finished batter or dough. These air pockets expand in the oven and trap carbon dioxide from the baking powder or baking soda, giving cookies their rise and spread. Even the best of liquid oils can't duplicate this effect.

Going with Oil
You can make a good cookie with vegetable oil, but it's not a straightforward process. First, butter is only about 80 percent fat. Oil is pure fat, so only use about 3/4 of the amount called for. Otherwise your cookies will be greasy. Your cookies will tend to spread more and be flatter, and will be chewy rather than crisp. It's helpful to start with cookie recipes designed for vegetable oil before you begin adapting your own favorites. That gives you the opportunity to get a feel for oil-based dough and understand how the ingredients work together. Oil-based recipes typically make cookies with a soft, cake-like crumb, though they can have a crisp crust if you increase the quantity of sugar.

Compromises and Alternatives
Some cookies just won't work as they're supposed to without a solid fat, so you'll need to compromise a little. Try replacing just half the butter with oil, which still cuts your saturated fats but retains much of the cookies' original texture. Alternatively, use solid fats such as non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening or coconut oil in your cookies. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, like butter, and can cream to a pleasantly light consistency. It melts at a lower temperature than butter, so if you live in a warm climate you'll need to chill both the coconut oil and your mixing bowl before you start.

On average some good quality meds will get you about 4 grams of concentrate per ounce, if done clean and right. So to start off with the potency your use to, 1 gram of concentrated oil would be equivalent to your 7 grams (1/4 oz) flower.

Thanks Canad420 for that awesome description of fats and oils and what they do in food. I just learned a whole lot!

My best friend, who died of AIDS in 1995, was an Executive Chef. He always said (jokingly) that "all food is a vehicle for salt and butter." He probably knew all about the stuff you wrote about but it was all new to me. Knowledge is power. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom