How long does decarboxylated weed hold its potency?

BigHeadTodd

That may sound like a silly question but here's the reason I am asking. I like to infuse cannabis buds into coconut oil which I use in place of butter. Making the medicine is a fairly involved operation - first, I need to seal the weed into plastic bags and then I start decarbing with a sous vide machine which takes almost two hours for two ounces. Then I try to take out of each bag as many twigs and stems as I can before I lightly grind it. Then on to the Magical Butter Machine for another two hour operation. Clean up is always a pain since it is so oily and greasy... Anyway, I don't do this for just one 14 ounce jar of cannacoconut oil. I would rather do several at once. Now, finally, to my question: If I decarb an extra few ounces more weed than I am going to infuse that day, will the decarbed weed remain as viable as if I had infused it into the coconut oil right away?

I appreciate the post, mb5200, but I am curious if you've had experiences with storing decarbed weed. I am sure it will be good for a few days anyway but I am guessing that it remains good for (potentially) years. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. Right now I have two ounces of decarbed weed that was processed over a month ago. Maybe I'll hang onto one of those babies for six months or so and then try them out. I'll let you know how it goes. Mr. Science in action!

I know that regular weed when stored in vacuum sealed plastic bags can keep for years even at room temperature. Fresher is better but sometimes you can't always have fresh.

I have never stored it for long at all, I usually make butter and coconut oil in bulk and freeze it. I have had butter in the freezer for close to a year that I forgot about and it was as good as the day I made it.

If I was to store decarbed buds I would be sure to use glass jars and probably throw in a 62% Boveda pack to ensure freshness.

Hey, maybe if we banter back and fourth enough we'll come up with a solution.....

There are only a couple of cannabis testing labs in my state at the moment. There will be more labs opening up as more and more MM dispensaries open up across the commonwealth but it is taking time. When there is a lab near me I will be taking samples of my saved decarbed weed in to have it analyzed. That is when I can determine the rate of deterioration that occurs to stored cannabis - either decarbed or not. Right now the nearest lab is 100 miles away and I don't feel like making that long a journey to get this question answered. It's not that pressing a matter. It is really more just intellectual curiosity but once we have the facts we can maximize our weed's potential.

I know I have smoked cannabis that was at least two years old or more. It was stored at basement temperature in vacuum-sealed plastic bags and it seemed to work just fine!

That may sound like a silly question but here's the reason I am asking. I like to infuse cannabis buds into coconut oil which I use in place of butter. Making the medicine is a fairly involved operation - first, I need to seal the weed into plastic bags and then I start decarbing with a sous vide machine which takes almost two hours for two ounces. Then I try to take out of each bag as many twigs and stems as I can before I lightly grind it. Then on to the Magical Butter Machine for another two hour operation. Clean up is always a pain since it is so oily and greasy... Anyway, I don't do this for just one 14 ounce jar of cannacoconut oil. I would rather do several at once. Now, finally, to my question: If I decarb an extra few ounces more weed than I am going to infuse that day, will the decarbed weed remain as viable as if I had infused it into the coconut oil right away?
1 of my fav. bands

Back
Top Bottom