TheCave

Hi guys!

So whilst I'm getting the stuff I need to get my grow room operational, I thought I'd try making some butter!

I got a 1/2 oz of some really good bud (had 1 bong and was fucking buzzing... munchies for hours lol). So today i decided to make some butter!

Needless to say I fucked it up.. i decarbed about 5g in the oven at 105c for 40 mins, then melted 250g unsalted butter and slung in the green. Cooked it on a low heat and stirred the entire time (about 25 mins). It smells like popcorn and is quite dark.. glad I only used 5g..

Any tips for a successful butter?

I have a magical butter maker,,.like it allot. The greener the better, hope it is good to you...

I will have to get one... its gone much lighter now that its solidified again.. like a milky coffee or fudge colour..

Had to have a few more brownies than expected, but me and the wife were ruined eventually!

I blend a whole lot of plant, stems, leaves, buds and all in my personal blender, any plant materials I have around, for example mother prunings/

Blend with water till a green juice.

Melt Butter in a very small deep pan/pot, as soon as it melts, add the green juice water.

stir constantly , you must mix the water with the butter fat. THC leaves the water and sticks to the butter fat.

Increase temp very slowly while mixing, until start of boil or just b4, then turn off and take off heat... continue to stir.

Leave to cool for 5 minutes then put in freezer. (on a piece of cardboard because the pot is still hot)

Once cooled, lift the butter from the water. (it floats frozen on the top)

Crumble the Zarbu butter on to toast bread, and the cover with cheese.

Toast in oven low heat just until cheese melts.

Eat and enjoy.

That was my dinner tonight. (and im very high)

It sounds like your butter probably wasn't clarified and the milk solids burned, if it wasn't the bud itself..

here's the best method I've tried... Courtesy of BadKat:love:

-Some notes
*Clarify butter - heat and cool, evaporating the water. Skim milk solids/foam off surface and don't stir, you can cool and repeat 3 times while being sure the bigger bubbles are still boiling, indicating the evaporation of water. You'll lose about a 1/4 of your butter after evaporating the water and separating solids, so make sure you're using clarified butter with pure golden fat. Use 8 oz (1 Kerrygold; which is 2 regular sized sticks) + 6 tbs. of unclarified butter to end up with 1 cup of clarified butter. I strain mine through cheesecloth and a fine wire mesh from amazon. Although an unbleached coffee filter would do but probably take a second.. I might switch to that for clarifying now.. Lol. You could probably just pour it over some cheesecloth, as long as you only see golden butterfat and no milk solids you're good.

8 oz. or 1 cup of clarified butter is usually enough for a half to full ounce of herb. You could probably get away with a little more, but may find that you might be better off using more butter if it seemingly soaks up all of the liquid.

Some people use lecithin, I haven't used it to test its effectiveness. I planned on using 8 oz. of clarified butter with a small amount of lecithin, (probably not more than half a tablespoon) but never got around to it.

1. Decarboxylation - preaheat oven to 220F. While preheating, finely grind herb, and sprinkle evenly over pie dish. COVER WELL with foil, crimping up the sides below the inside edge and not folding underneath the dish as it will come off when moving around the oven rack or counter. Double wrap to ensure seal.

2. Place in oven at 220F for 20-30 mins (less for older, dry herb - and more for fresh herb). Once timer goes off, turn off heat and leave dish in the oven with the door opened a crack. Remove after 15 mins, and begin preheating the oven at 220F again. Begin melting an oil that's solid/begin heating liquid oil to ensure that any water is evaporated.

3. Carefully remove foil lid as it will be reused (get a fresh sheet if it tears). If using lecithin, sprinkle it over the herb now. Then pour your oil of choice in and give it a little mix. Cover with foil and place back in the oven for 45 mins, this will be the half-way heating point.

4. After 45 mins, remove from the oven (leaving it on) and allow the dish to cool for 15 mins. Once cool enough to touch, carefully remove the foil. Then press and mash the herb with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon. This is to "loosen up" glandular material and help expose it to the oil.

5. Replace the foil lid, seal well and place back in the oven for another 45 mins. When it's finished this time, you can turn off the heat and allow it to cool with the oven closed if you feel like prolonging the process a little longer would be a good thing. This takes about half an hour in a sealed oven. When finished cooling from the second heating, you may keep it in the same dish or put it in a container that's freeze-safe and will fit in your freezer.

6. Freeze it for at least two hours (longer if making more than one cup's worth of butter) Remove and allow to thaw to room temperature, or the shock will break the dish. Then place back in the oven for just long enough to liquefy and thin out the oil for straining.

7. Strain, then store or use it!

I'll usually strain by using a few layers of cheesecloth over that fine wire mesh. I'll let it drip for about 10 mins and give it a medium squeeze (not too much, but not too little) and put the ball of herb in cheesecloth into a cup of hot chocolate and squeeze the fuck out of it and get the most butter into the cup that I can. This is usually the first reward of many for the effort

Back
Top Bottom