Cannabis and Raw honey - Doable?

BrokrnEyes

So I want to make a edible with bud and raw honey but here's the catch, honey pasteurized at around 145 degrees Fahrenheit whereas activating the THC needs to happen at about 240 degrees (without it being destroyed) so you see my predicament, I want to preserve the health benefits of the honey but get the THC into it. Now I was thinking baking the bud in the oven and then steeping the bud in the honey for a day or so but would that do it or do I need to apply heat to the honey regardless to make the THC move to the honey? If the ladder how warm eoulf I have to warm the honey?

Hi BrokrnEyes

I believe decarboxylation in the oven and then mixing the buds with honey should be enough. Heating honey over 40 Celsius (104F) is not advisable because you lose nutritional value. You can warm it up a little by immersing a jar in the warm water, just enough for the bud to mix better. This way you can have the best of both worlds.

I've never done it myself, but that's how you treat bud if you wanna do edibles. I doubt that honey requires any special treatment.

Best.

Thanks man, I think I'll try steeping then sampling after a day or so, if it's not to my liking in terms of potion txt I'll do what you suggest with a warm water bath.

Hi there - I love my med and I love honey, so it's not surprising i've also thought about this combo! I assume you're meaning that you are wanting to add the decarbed weed to the honey, and allow the honey to extract the thc and other goodness, then filter the weed out? Will the honey actually do this (like alcohol or glycerine say) I wonder?

My main edible is in dark cholcolate, with finely chopped/ground decarbed weed - no filtering out of the weed. I add chopped nuts to mask the texture (and add a lovely flavour of course!). With honey i'd probably do the same - as in, just eat the honey with the weed in, though obviously less easy to disguise the plant matter. Not an issue if you were going to e.g. bake with the honey. Not sure how it would go with my favourite way of having honey...with greek yoghurt.

Hi there - I love my med and I love honey, so it's not surprising i've also thought about this combo! I assume you're meaning that you are wanting to add the decarbed weed to the honey, and allow the honey to extract the thc and other goodness, then filter the weed out? Will the honey actually do this (like alcohol or glycerine say) I wonder?

My main edible is in dark cholcolate, with finely chopped/ground decarbed weed - no filtering out of the weed. I add chopped nuts to mask the texture (and add a lovely flavour of course!). With honey i'd probably do the same - as in, just eat the honey with the weed in, though obviously less easy to disguise the plant matter. Not an issue if you were going to e.g. bake with the honey. Not sure how it would go with my favourite way of having honey...with greek yoghurt.

Yeah I am not certain as to how the THC migrates into the honey, I know that with say butter or oil it's a matter of the THC migrating and bindings the fat molecules but because honey is a fat free food, I was left scratch my head on it as well in the research that I have done into Edible honey does not really explain how this works other than it does. The only thing they could think of, mainly due to the fact that people have been making honey infusions with plenty of other herbs since the only God knows how long is that it just naturally diffuses into the honey. From what I've read regarding other Honey infusions, the process typically takes about a week if you don't apply heat. I'm going to do a little bit more research but I think what I will try doing is making a small batch ( The recipe I found Cole's for 5 pounds of honey to 1 ounce of bud, Bear in mind that a pound of honey is 1.3 cups so I'll likely shrink it down to just that) if after a week oh steeping it doesn't give me a buzz, I'll just mix the bud as you suggested to save what I used and call it a day.

Particularly interests me in the use of this if it does indeed work is that honey could be combined with other edible bases Like cannibis butter ( Think cannabis cookies sweetened with cannabis honey that used cannibis butter. Before anyone thinks that would be a megadose, this is something I'm trying out for a relative who has found comfort in cannabis at the end of their life and to help the caretaker save money ( another relative ) i'm looking into ways to make very potent edibles for them that are healthy (i.e. Everyone loves rice crispy squares, but when you consider how much better you're using, it's not the healthiest thing and eventually you get bored of it, with honey they could be mixed into a lot of things such as what you pointed out tees, yogurts, to be used for baking, or we could just eat it straight.)

I make cannabis honey, one of my favorites. First I make an ethanol tincture with decarbed herb with the target potency I want (7g flowers: 3 oz ethanol is the finished product once evaporated to the target potency). Once my tincture is made, I match the volume of honey to the volume of tincture and slowly boil off the ethanol (boiling temp is 163-170℉).. This is really the hardest part because you need a device to heat the mixture without open flame - an electric stove or something like an electric frying pan or griddle. You need to measure carefully so you know when you're close to removing all the ethanol, so you're getting close to 3 oz.. The nose is great at detecting any left over ethanol. Gently heat until all the ethanol is gone. Then add a teaspoon of vanilla, mix it in really well, seal it up in a small jar and store in a dark, cool cupboard. You'll love it.

Wouldn't spraying sugar water on the bud even when it's still on the plant encourage mold growth and other undesirables? I get that it's a gag but still, just seems like he's inviting everything under the sun to destroy his crop!

regarding the Tinture, is it strictly necessary to boil it to reduce the volume? I understand that that increases potency, but I'm really nervous about Anything that involves alcohol plus heat. Considering it's a hi proof alcohol, can't I just set it aside with the lid open and allow it to evaporate naturally down to the desired potency? I recall my father wants telling me when he was young, probably around 25, we had a glass of liquor that he left out overnight, he remembers it was half full and the next morning it had evaporator down to a few drops, wouldn't the same principle apply to this?

Just smoke a joint around the bee's then the honey they'd make would have tch in it already. You guys and your complicated chemistry!!!

Just smoke a joint around the bee's then the honey they'd make would have tch in it already. You guys and your complicated chemistry!!!

Actually, I am really curious what would the fact of THC smoke be on honeybees. I mean regular smoke makes the Becky's gorge themselves on honey and then chillout, so in many respects regular smoked already gets them the munchies and stones them. Oh God.. Touché freely bees?!

Back
Top Bottom