Made butter & have a few questions

Ritch

I have no idea how the butter did not come out perfect as I babysat the process for 6hrs. Stiring every 20min or sooner. The heat was on ultra low (cooked in a small pot) the whole time besides one point (described later)The color was very dark but heard that does not matter as potent butter can be either color. The cococut oil itself was not even melted at high temp. The end result is butter that is dark brown.

The last hour, I decided to slowly increase the temp. The consistency stayed very thin and read it's supposed to thicken/look glossy so that's why I decided to slowly turn up the heat. At this time when I'd take off the lid to stir, it black fumes were coming out so I turned it down and kept it at low temp for the last 40ish min. Is it possible this step messed up my butter???

This butter smells like burned popcorn. I added 22grs of various buds, all indica and most rather strong. 3gr of that mixture was a batch of bad kush a guy sold to me, popcorn style and burned horribly when rolled in a joint. I'm guessing that's where the horrible taste is coming from that was increased by the short high temp spurt.

The reason why I used a small pot was because the surface area on a crock pot is rather large. I figured the lack of depth would make for a butter that would burn easily. So a nice deep pot with less surface area would decrease my chance of a burnt product but happened anyway.

So any ideas what happened? I'm kinda lost even though I've viewed pretty much every vid on this topic and read many links as well.

I took about 2.5ml almost 2hrs ago. I think I feel a bit of a head buzz but that was a small dose. Can't expect much from half a tea spoon given my ratio of weed to butter. Gonna redose in 40 min.

Sorry for the long story, just tying to detail everything as well as I can to paint a clear pic of the process...

re: Made butter & have a few questions

Did you put enough water in the pot? The weed may have burned at the bottom. The weed should of been floating 1 1/2 inches above the bottom.

This was the method I used: Ultimate Cannabutter Experiment: Method 1 - YouTube

I covered the weed with tin foil in the oven though for the decarb process. No water was added in this method. I keep reading about how the weed is supposed to be 1.5 inches from the bottom but the color was so dark, I never would have been able to see that!!!

I took two little 2.5gr pieces today in a little bit of hot water. I'm starting to feel the effect. Or maybe I'm still buzzed from my joint at 6pm but I think I feel heavier, the way edibles make ya feel...

This may not have been a 100% loss after all. I'm surprised a mere tea spoon is having such an effect on me. I smoke about 1.5gr of strong indica weed every day...

Oh yeah, I also added 3 tbsp of lecithin granules to my recipe. So combined with the decarb and spraying of alcohol on the green then a 6hr simmer, it may be rather potent despite the slight burn it sustained.

re: Made butter & have a few questions

I'm no expert. This is the steps I followed and mine came out the green color you are looking for. Look over the steps and see what you did different.

CannaButter In 7 Easy Steps!

I read that method indeed, thanks for the reply! My instincts tell me slow cooked methods are better, dunno, just starting off here and finding my way in this.

Back
Top Bottom