Going for a no-weed-smell Cannabutter method

HopSkipnaJump

So, I live in a college dorm room. I find that I am very, very reactive to THC, but my roommate cannot seem to get high when smoking. The most he's gotten is a buzz, and that was after a large dose.

So, we're looking to make Cannabutter. This is reportedly much more potent, and will also take his possibly defective lungs out of the equation.

Although the cops are about as cools as cops can get about this sort of thing ("Hey, this is some pretty good shit. Allright, let's get you to jail."), I'd really like to NOT make the shit smell.

So, here's what I was thinking. Decarboxyllation occurs at or above a certain temperature (220 Fahrenheit, I want to say. It's the only gods-honest answer I can find anywhere, and even this is still a guess), so if we could get a thermos, and pour very hot butter over weed in the thermos, and leave that sitting for a long enough amount of time, I'm convinced that we could remove and activate the THC while keeping the weed smell inside of the thermos. I would microwave the butter, so the only potent smell produced would be butter ("Yeah, we made popcorn.").

So, do you think this will work?

If not, let's start a think tank on how to make an extract without stinking up the place, using only a microwave as a heating source. Smells of any kind allowed, but not the identifiably "Weed" smell.

I'm sure college kids will love it.

Re: Going for a no-weed-smell Cannabutter method.

I think I'm going to try it out. In the name of science, I may waste some bud, but I may also produce a method of getting extract that will be very, very useful to people who have to be extremely cautious because of adverse circumstance.

Wish me luck. God made weed, may God guide my hand.

Expect results by then end of next weekend.

Here's some info I dug up that addresses your point.

The cannabis plant produces THCA, (or THC-COOH) an acid with the carboxylic group (COOH) attached. In its acid form, THCA is relatively inactive. It is only when the carboxyl group is removed that THC becomes psychoactive.

When marijuana is smoked, the THC is vaporized as the hot air from the burn is drawn across the plant matter. The cannabinoids turn gaseous, at around 106° C (220° F), the carboxyl group is released from the molecule as carbon dioxide and water vapor.

So your going to need to have a scaldingly hot liquid (for reference water boils at 212F and this isn't even hot enough.

Seems safer to me to do something in the microwave. Maybe cook some Kimche or fish in your microwave right before you cook the bud. Get a bigger stink going in advance so to speak

Just an idea...

Things are looking great so far. I'm up to about 50% sure that this is going to work.
I went to a friends house, and boiled a little more than a half-stick of butter with about 2 grams in a thermos, and sealed that bitch. About 45 minutes later, I decided to check on it. I got a blast of smell, but what I saw was very promising. Nice dark brown color, and though I was looking into a thermos, i swear I could make out a glossy color. It was also still blazing hot in the thermos.

Now it's sitting in my friends house. Before i left, about 4 hours after I first put it in, i poured it into a tupperware container and let it harden. It's exactly the same color as cannabutter should be. Just for giggles, I smoked some of the leftover weed. Nothing. The THC is all in the butter. Now to see if it decarboxylized correctly.

Results soon.

-Pioneering Stoner Science.

It works. 100%.
I was stupid from about 6pm to 4am when I went to sleep, on the extract from 2 grams.
Sweetness.:cheer:

hey, i'm new to the community and i'm really, REALLY interested in your technique, but i was wondering if you could give some guides, like, just tell me how you went about it, did you melted the butter first and then you poured it into the termos w/ the weed and let it sit? or did you microwaved it alltogether?

wow - seems like between the combo of boiling temp of oil (butter) being higher than water (don't know exact temp) and thermos holding it at a high enough temperature long enough to do the job sounds like it worked well. Sounds easier than watching something on a stove too!

I may try the technique...

Just make taco meat on the other burner at the same time... and use your overhead vent.

Things are looking great so far. I'm up to about 50% sure that this is going to work.
I went to a friends house, and boiled a little more than a half-stick of butter with about 2 grams in a thermos, and sealed that bitch. About 45 minutes later, I decided to check on it. I got a blast of smell, but what I saw was very promising. Nice dark brown color, and though I was looking into a thermos, i swear I could make out a glossy color. It was also still blazing hot in the thermos.

Now it's sitting in my friends house. Before i left, about 4 hours after I first put it in, i poured it into a tupperware container and let it harden. It's exactly the same color as cannabutter should be. Just for giggles, I smoked some of the leftover weed. Nothing. The THC is all in the butter. Now to see if it decarboxylized correctly.

Results soon.

-Pioneering Stoner Science.

I'm interested but did you eat the onlythe cannabutter?

and could you create a guide for everyone to do this?

How long did you boil the butter for til it was melted before pouring it in the thermos with 2gs of weed?

I'm not the original poster, and haven't tried this method but make a version of this with coconut oil -- I always strain it and eat just the "green butter" but also save the leftovers from the strainer to use in other food - I don't cook for a long time so it seems like there's still something active in the green.

I did a similar method using a mason jar. I boiled it for a while and let it simmer for 3 hours. Turned out great. Might have better results with the regular method though. Gonna try that the next time

I recently built on a few of the suggestions on this thread and did my butter in a mason jar in a pressure cooker. It's excellent in that the smell is completely contained in the sealed lid-and-band jar (until you open it, of course) and that the temperature within is around 250°F / 120°C. Hell, when I took the jar out of the cooker, it was still boiling inside...I have no idea how long it would've sat boiling itself hadn't I unsealed it.

Please don't microwave mason jars with lids and/or bands on. They're metal and will make your microwave do crazy things, such as catch on fire. You will not want to get involved with this kind of smoke. =) (I know it seems like common sense, but...hell, considering how good I can (not) be with common sense...)

So, I made some cookies. Did a roughly-estimated eighth with two sticks of butter (fits decently in a quart mason jar), which made 24 cookies. This method worked, but I need to give it another shot. I feel my main failings were that I only pressure cooked the jar for 15 minutes (I swear I'd read other places that people had done it for roughly-equivalent short times) and that I used so very much butter. As such, about 9 cookies got me moderately baked. But 9 cookies is like...more than a meal, and very likely delayed the setting-in process with all the food material the gut has to digest.

For next time, I plan to use maybe 1/3 or 1/2 the butter, cutting the recipe appropriately. I'll also be cooking it for 45-60min and letting it sit in the pressure cooker for another 3-4 hours. I'll post results when I get them. Maybe next week, maybe this upcoming week.

I just tried this. I got a .25 ounce of good reggie and broke it up pretty good. I put a stick and a half of butter in a bowl and got it hella hot. I then poured it into my thermos of weed. I let it go from hot to warm (2 hrs) then strained it through cheese cloth. It smells pretty rank, and is kinda a greenish honey color, so idk. My friend and I tried a Tablespoon or so on a piece of bread. Nothing. We then ate the strained off weed. Nothing there either. Im gonna try taking more butter tonight, it is hard to consume this shit without baking something though. I hope i didnt just waste a quarter..

I just tried this. I got a .25 ounce of good reggie and broke it up pretty good. I put a stick and a half of butter in a bowl and got it hella hot. I then poured it into my thermos of weed. I let it go from hot to warm (2 hrs) then strained it through cheese cloth. It smells pretty rank, and is kinda a greenish honey color, so idk. My friend and I tried a Tablespoon or so on a piece of bread. Nothing. We then ate the strained off weed. Nothing there either. Im gonna try taking more butter tonight, it is hard to consume this shit without baking something though. I hope i didnt just waste a quarter..
Hey, I recently made cannaoil and put it into a normal betty crocker oven brownie mix and i managed to do it with no smells. To make the oil i just heated up some vegetable oil to a point where it is too hot to touch with your hand (my recipe called for a 1/2 cup, but i put about 3/4 of a cup because the herb soaks some of it up) and pour it into a thermos with the herb already it in, then shake a lot. I waited about 2 days before i strained it out, and it turned out very good. I made brownies with it and they arent as strong as i hoped, but i can always use more weed next time :)

Try making Peanut Butter cookies, I can get out on one batch almost 72 cookies using a one ounce scooper. That only uses 4oz of your budder (36) and even smaller batch, you'll get at least 18 out of the deal.

When I bake cookies I do try to make enough to last the month though.

:goodluck:.

yeah okay why are you lying tho cause you smoke that butter weed leftover you would die. smh

I haven't used this method for making the butter, but I have used my butter in brownies. It doesn't smell much when you bake the brownies. They have a fairly strong and nice smell and that's what we mostly noticed. Knowing the MJ was in there, I was able to smell a little. I doubt anyone else would have known. I made the butter that I used and it smelled a lot when I made it. I used the crock pot method. I might try this thermos method sometime.

Back
Top Bottom