Research Proves Marijuana is Not a "Gateway Drug"

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The surging debate surrounding the legalization of marijuana has brought with it the resurrection of the "gateway theory," which alleges that experimenting with marijuana leads to the use of harder drugs like coc*aine, her*oin and metham*phetamine. The gateway debate was reborn last week, thanks to a video of FBI director Robert Mueller testifying before Congress that marijuana should be illegal because it leads to more dangerous drug use.

Although the Mueller video has provoked amusement on pot-friendly websites, the unfortunate reality is that the "gateway drug" stigma continues to present an impediment to the reform of marijuana laws. A new Rasmussen poll found that a large percentage of Americans believe the gateway argument:
The new survey also shows that nearly half of voters (46%) believe marijuana use leads to use of harder drugs. Thirty-seven percent (37%) do not see marijuana as a "gateway" drug.

Revealingly, the percentage who opposed marijuana legalization and the percentage who believed in the gateway theory were identical, both coming in at exactly 46%. As we look for ways to persuade those who remain opposed to marijuana reform, it's clearly in our interest to work towards demolishing the pernicious gateway theory once and for all. Let's take a look at what the data shows.

In 1999, the National Institute on Drug Abuse commissioned a major study on medical marijuana conducted by the venerable Institute of Medicine, which included an examination of marijuana's potential to lead to other drug use. In simple terms, the researchers explained why the gateway theory was unfounded:
Patterns in progression of drug use from adolescence to adulthood are strikingly regular. Because it is the most widely used illicit drug, marijuana is predictably the first illicit drug most people encounter. Not surprisingly, most users of other illicit drugs have used marijuana first. In fact, most drug users begin with alcohol and nicotine before marijuana -- usually before they are of legal age.

There is no conclusive evidence that the drug effects of marijuana are causally linked to the subsequent abuse of other illicit drugs.

In 2006, the University of Pittsburgh released a more thorough study in which researchers spent 12 years tracking a group of subjects from adolescence into adulthood and documented the initiation and progression of their drug use. The researchers found that the gateway theory was not only wrong, but also harmful to properly understanding and addressing drug abuse:
This evidence supports what’s known as the common liability model, an emerging theory that states the likelihood that someone will transition to the use of illegal drugs is determined not by the preceding use of a particular drug but instead by the user’s individual tendencies and environmental circumstances.

“The emphasis on the drugs themselves, rather than other, more important factors that shape a person’s behavior, has been detrimental to drug policy and prevention programs,” Dr. Tarter said. “To become more effective in our efforts to fight drug abuse, we should devote more attention to interventions that address these issues, particularly to parenting skills that shape the child’s behavior as well as peer and neighborhood environments.”

Of course, the simplest refutation of the gateway theory is the basic fact that most marijuana users just don't use other drugs. As the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration reports:
More than 100 million Americans have tried marijuana; 14.4 million Americans are estimated to be "past-month" users. Yet there are only an estimated 2,075,000 "past-month" users of cocaine and 153,000 "past-month" users of heroin. [DrugWarFacts]

Clearly, people who use marijuana overwhelmingly do not move on to other drug use. That's why the number of people who use marijuana will always be more than 10 times greater than the number of people who use cocaine, heroin, etc. The fact that marijuana users rarely become involved in other drug use is right here in front of us.

Unfortunately, there is one important way in which marijuana use can result in exposure to other more dangerous drugs. Laws against marijuana have created an unregulated black market, in which criminals control the supply and may attempt to market more dangerous drugs to people who just want marijuana. As the Journal of the American Medical Association reported in 2003:
Alternatively, experience with and subsequent access to cannabis use may provide individuals with access to other drugs as they come into contact with drug dealers. This argument provided a strong impetus for the Netherlands to effectively decriminalize cannabis use in an attempt to separate cannabis from the hard drug market. This strategy may have been partially successful as rates of cocaine use among those who have used cannabis are lower in the Netherlands than in the United States."

Ironically, the only real gateway that exists is created by marijuana prohibition, yet proponents of harsh marijuana laws cynically cite the damage they've caused as evidence that the drug itself is acutely harmful. It's truly the height of absurdity, yet it persists despite the mountain of categorical data I've outlined above.

The point here isn’t just that marijuana isn’t actually a "gateway drug," but that there really is no such thing as a gateway drug to begin with. The term was invented by hysterical anti-drug zealots for the specific purpose of linking marijuana with harmful outcomes that couldn’t otherwise be established. Everyone knows marijuana is completely non-lethal, but if it leads to sticking needles in your arm, anything's possible. Through repeated use, the term began to stick and we're now confronted with a marijuana legalization debate in which 46% of the country believes an antiquated, widely-refuted fabrication that erroneously renders marijuana as deadly and unpredictable as anything a scared parent can imagine.

It's perfectly typical of the unhinged drug war demagogues that one of their most popular anti-pot propaganda points doesn't even actually have anything to do with pot. Their tireless reliance on such nonsense may go a long way towards explaining why support for legalization is growing faster than ever before.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: StoptheDrugWar.org
Copyright: 2008 StoptheDrugWar.org
Website: Research Proves Marijuana is Not a "Gateway Drug" | Stop the Drug War (DRCNet)

Gateway OUT Drug -- I have very up-close and personal experience which has proven that Marijuana can, indeed, be a gateway drug... a gateway OUT that is. At the risk of sounding crazy, I offer the following:

I started off with alcohol at a very young age. Funny thing is weed was much easier to get in junior high but, alcohol was my drug of choice. After all, NOTHING could get you wasted like alcohol. My problem drinking continued through college and into young adulthood, bringing disastrous consequences upon myself and loved ones.

So, approx. nine years ago I quit drinking with the help of marijuana and life has never been so beautiful. You see, when I medicate there is a little voice in the back of my head which encourages me to stay away from the bottle and reminds me how much better life is without drinking. I cannot explain it but, the voice is there... like a true friend who really cares about me. And, unlike any threatening intervention, draconian law, or authoritative scorn, I actually LISTEN to this voice and believe it.

I get very saddened and feel alone by the "gateway theory" anti-pot crusades and felt I had to spill my guts here. I am certainly no doctor but, feel very strongly that marijuana could help many alcoholics and addicts such as myself.

By the way, we have legal narcotic dispenseries all over my neighborhood called Pain Management Clinics which are spreading opiate addiction like wildfire. Prescription grade hero*ine, if you will. So, eventually the law will step up and close these places down leaving hundreds of thousands of hungry addicts. What then ? How are we to treat all these people ?

The answer just may be the voice of reason locked inside that magical green plant. Unfortunately, we may be the only ones who hear it.

thanks for sharing that. i too did lots of drinking in my younger days. i don't drink any longer. its not that i'm a non-drinker now. i just don't drink. Cannabis meets all the needs that drink did without the damage and it turns out is a medicine that helps to keep whats left of me going. there has been research into using Cannabis as a harm reduction tool. the reports are somewhere in medmj facts i think, its hard to remember but i know its there. hang on i'll check . . .

ok here it is:
Cannabis as a Substitute for Alcohol

Your story is very similar to programs which are currently in practice in Portugal, where all drugs have been legalized and are regulated by the government. Since the legalization of all drugs there, the drug figures have decreased amazingly, and there are programs which use marijuana to help people addicted to opiates and harder substances get off them. Some call it replacing one addiction with another. This may be true, but at least marijuana won't kill you, and does not radically chemically addict you. It is easier to get off of weed once on it from me*th, then just cutting me*th out with rehab.

Your story makes alot of sense, and hell, a whole country is doing it, and its working. Good article, and good story.

A while back I was thinking about what were my gate way drugs. If they were gate ways at all. I started smoking & drinking first. Then came coffee.

I was turned on to MJ by media coverage of the hippy thing in the late 60's. so it would be rather difficult to say that MJ was my gate way.

IMO the real gate way is curiosity. Mix in the forbidden fruit aspect & walla! Also MSM coverage & peer pressure can be factors in the gate way hypothesis. Net result: I could not wait to try grass.

The gate way thing regarding MJ is a crock. Hope gov drug warriors read this. They are so far behind the curve...

mM

You can find the history of the marijuana gateway myth at When and how did the idea that marijuana leads to harder drugs get started?

Circa 1910, they said that the "steps to a drunkard's grave" included snacking between meals, tea, coffee, candy, eating "Mexicanized" food, and using patent medicines (containing opiates). Oddly enough, tea, coffee, and Mexican food were ranked as being bigger steps than patent medicines. See "Themes in Chemical Prohibition" at Themes in Chemical Prohibition

In the 1920s some states outlawed marijuana because of the fear that ****** addiction would lead to the use of marijuana -- exactly the opposite of the modern idea. See the short history of the marijuana laws at History of the Non-Medical Use of Drugs in the United States

In 1937, during the hearings for the Marihuana Tax Act, Harry Anslinger was asked specifically if there was any connection between marijuana and ******. He replied emphatically that there was no connection at all. See his testimony at The Marihuana Tax Act of 1937

In 1944, the La Guardia Committee report confirmed what Anslinger said - no connection at all.

In 1951, the story changed. Anslinger was up before Congress again, asking for more money to enforce the marijuana laws. Unfortunately for him, just before he testified, the head of the Federal addiction research program testified that they knew for certain that all of the reasons that had been given to outlaw marijuana in 1937 were completely wrong. It didn't do any of the things that had been claimed.

Anslinger had the rug pulled out from under him. He had no justification for his call for more money to enforce the marjuana laws. In fact, he was left with no justification for the marijuana laws at all. In response, he made up the idea that marijuana is the certain stepping stone to ******. In doing so, he contradicted all the research, before or since, as well as directly contradicting his own testimony from 1937. See History of the Non-Medical Use of Drugs in the United States

Regardless of the fact that it has no basis in fact at all, it has been the basis of US marijuana policy ever since.

It has been debunked by every major government commission that has ever studied the marijuana laws. You can find those in the Schaffer Library of Drug Policy at Schaffer Library of Drug Policy under Major Studies of Drugs and Drug Policy.

thanks for sharing that. i too did lots of drinking in my younger days. i don't drink any longer. its not that i'm a non-drinker now. i just don't drink. Cannabis meets all the needs that drink did without the damage and it turns out is a medicine that helps to keep whats left of me going. there has been research into using Cannabis as a harm reduction tool. the reports are somewhere in medmj facts i think, its hard to remember but i know its there. hang on i'll check . . .

ok here it is:
Cannabis as a Substitute for Alcohol
I too have a similar story regarding heavy alcohol use. Throughout my late teens and early twenties, I was drinking so much as a half bottle of liquor daily. I gained an extra 40 pounds and my family was worried about my use. It's been about 2 years since I started regularly smoking cannabis again, and since then, I rarely drink. If i do drink, its a beer here and there or a drink when I take the lady out to dinner. I lost the weight and feel 100 times healthier and my mind is more clear and focused than ever before.

If i didn't start smoking cannabis again, I'm sure I would still be drinking, and who knows what would have happened.

I never believed the gateway theory. Back in my early teens when I started smoking for the first time, I was ignorant to the true facts about the gateway theory and thought that I would go on to harder drugs from smoking cannabis. I was determined to never use any of them, and to this day have had no problems abstaining from harder drugs. I've had access to them, but have never had a desire to do any of them.

Your experience with cannabis and alcohol is more the rule than the exception.

The best research to date on this topic is being done by Dr. Tom O'Connell. He has done life medical histories on thousands of medical marijuana users.

He has found that a large number of them are using marijuana to treat anxiety-related disorders. His patients have a large percentage of people who were diagnosed with anxiety-related disorders early in childhood. They tended to have early abusive use of multiple drugs, including blackout periods. They typically started their drug use with alcohol and tobacco, but the hallmark of their drug use is that they tried lots more drugs than their peers and did them in greater quantities. They also had a frequent history of traumatic childhood events such as an absent natural father during childhood for men, or childhood sexual abuse for women. Many of them had histories of being addicted to alcohol, h-e-r-o-i-n, or similar "hard" drugs.

When they took up the regular use of marijuana 90 percent greatly reduced their use of harder drugs and ten percent quit completely.

The explanation is that abusive drug use is driven by anxiety-related problems. They are taking marijuana for the same reason that other people might go to the doctor and get a prescription for Valium. Marijuana gives them the anxiety relief they are seeking without screwing them up so badly that they can't function. It is safer than Valium, so doctors really don't need a lot of justification to recommend it.

As for when "recreational" use becomes "medical" use, Dr. O'Connell says, that, in his opinion, it becomes "medical" the first time time person buys it for themselves. You might want to think about what that means.

I wish I could punch the individual who first conceived of using the "gateway" idea as a tactic against legalization. What a load of crap. Everything leads to everything if you want to play that game.

I wish I could punch the individual who first conceived of using the "gateway" idea as a tactic against legalization. What a load of crap. Everything leads to everything if you want to play that game.

That was Harry Anslinger. If we ever got the opportunity to punch him, it would be a looooong line.

I have heard and read for countless hours about the gateway theory. Research of my own has lead me to the answers. Marijuana itself is not a gateway drug, however marijuana prohibition can be linked to massive amounts of drug abuse. Take a minute to analyze what I just typed and you can save hours of your time researching this propaganda infested theory. If marijuana were legal and people could go down to there local head shops and purchase MJ without fear of the police arresting them it would eliminate the criminal element involved with marijuana. Drug dealers often deal whatever they can get there hands on to make a quick buck. If your going to your dealer to score some herbs and he says hey man I got some oxy you wanna try some of this? Your more likely to say yes to other drugs when you come into contact with them. If marijuana were legal this problem would never occur. So the federal government basically created the gateway theory the day marijuana became illegal.

Keep BLAZIN:smokin:

People with to much curiosity is the gateway to harsh drugs not marijuana. The government has lied, and are going to keep on making up lies. They expected us as the people for centuries would buy into what they say and their lies, but the truth is reveling itself know, all we can do is give it time

One love, One heart, One nation.

:420::420::420:

Gateway OUT Drug -- I have very up-close and personal experience which has proven that Marijuana can, indeed, be a gateway drug... a gateway OUT that is. At the risk of sounding crazy, I offer the following:

I started off with alcohol at a very young age. Funny thing is weed was much easier to get in junior high but, alcohol was my drug of choice. After all, NOTHING could get you wasted like alcohol. My problem drinking continued through college and into young adulthood, bringing disastrous consequences upon myself and loved ones.

So, approx. nine years ago I quit drinking with the help of marijuana and life has never been so beautiful. You see, when I medicate there is a little voice in the back of my head which encourages me to stay away from the bottle and reminds me how much better life is without drinking. I cannot explain it but, the voice is there... like a true friend who really cares about me. And, unlike any threatening intervention, draconian law, or authoritative scorn, I actually LISTEN to this voice and believe it.

I get very saddened and feel alone by the "gateway theory" anti-pot crusades and felt I had to spill my guts here. I am certainly no doctor but, feel very strongly that marijuana could help many alcoholics and addicts such as myself.

By the way, we have legal narcotic dispenseries all over my neighborhood called Pain Management Clinics which are spreading opiate addiction like wildfire. Prescription grade hero*ine, if you will. So, eventually the law will step up and close these places down leaving hundreds of thousands of hungry addicts. What then ? How are we to treat all these people ?

The answer just may be the voice of reason locked inside that magical green plant. Unfortunately, we may be the only ones who hear it.
I think that some people have to be stupid and move on to harder drugs like heroin, and cocaine, marijuana isnt a gateway drug.... if people were smart enough just to stick to pot things would be okay...

I was a modest pot smoker in college and an occasionally immodest party drinker. When I graduated I decided my youth was over and I was an adult. No more party drinking to excess. No pot at all for 15+ years, and only rarely over the past 15 years. And guess what? ZERO use of any other mind-altering substances whatsoever. Ever.

I am a medical professional and successful long-term small businessperson.

Gateway drug, my ass.

I was a modest pot smoker in college and an occasionally immodest party drinker. When I graduated I decided my youth was over and I was an adult. No more party drinking to excess. No pot at all for 15+ years, and only rarely over the past 15 years. And guess what? ZERO use of any other mind-altering substances whatsoever. Ever.

I am a medical professional and successful long-term small businessperson.

Gateway drug, my ass.

i totally agree with you.... you are a very smaht person :peace:

Back
Top Bottom