Irish's Harvest Journal, 2009

Since I only just recently found this site and this fantastic forum with its equally fantastic members, I can't exactly begin a grow journal, but this is turning out to be quite the harvest this year and I thought people might benefit from my thoughts and experiences as we clip, trim, and cure our harvest.

As an introduction and insight into the grow, it is comprised of three gardens--my own and two others whom I am teaching to grow and/or doing their grow for them from clones to curing. The medicinal shrubbery this year are predominantly sativa and sativa hybrids: OG Kush (70% sativa); Juicy Fruit; Island Skunk; Odyssey; Querkle; a Strawberry Cough cross (mostly indica) and an unknown strain with a promising aroma--altogether 18 plants, six in each garden.

We went with Humboldt Nutrients and the gardener's staple Super Thrive this year, feeding the girls with organic nutes. They were planted in 4' x 4' holes and everyone used their own idea of amendments to refill them. Since this is prime riverbottom loam, there is no need to replace the soil with bagged planting mixes. However, depending on the site, additional organics must be added to the refill soil for proper moisture retention and fertility. Since my site was rich with alfalfa compost accumulated over many years, all that my holes needed was some sprinklings of mulch from my mainly-wood-chip mulch pile to give the worms something new to munch on and to make a biologically balanced soil in which my babies could thrive.

We are currently harvesting my OG Kushes, both easily 8lb+ dry weight plants--most of the Strawberries are already hanging or in tubs. State of the Garden address today included security issues as well as the logistics of harvest--my bumper crop of 8-10lb dry weight plants vs the average 3-5lb plants has caught us with our pants down and nowhere near enough trimmers to do the job as plant after plant swoon in perfect ripeness.

The girls are getting ahead of us.

Solving the trimmer dilemma is top of the agenda as only 3 could show up today, and we made little headway in whittling down the first OG Kush, which we have been harvesting for the last 3 days now. She's one prolific girl and we've had to build more drying pillars to accommodate her bulk. Her sister, who suffered a bad break a few weeks ago, waits in the wings with tons of buds nodding and hanging in pendulous ripeness. Over in another garden are 6 more plants, begging to be taken now, while others in my own garden and the third are within 5-10 days of perfect ripeness. In 5-7 days, rain is predicted.....

:rollit:

Stay tuned for the ongoing saga in more detail and with plenty of pics each evening as time allows....

Dawn, and we're ready for another day of insanity....

garden_006.jpg

absolutely beautiful man...

Here's a lady in waiting...OG Kush.

garden_041.jpg

We're still trimming the first OG Kush girlie, but we'll be done with these last flats--at least for a while. I take all the ripe buds and then leave the secondaries for further growth, treating each stump left behind with Treeheal so the plant suffers no shock and will put the extra energy into the buds left on the bush.

garden_049.jpg

By harvesting this way, the grow continues for about 2 or 3 more cuttings--usually two, but with the size of these plants, I'm thinking 3 this time around.

Here is the Strawberry Cough X, almost ready for her second cutting.
garden_065.jpg

Since it's been getting down into the late 40's at night, her strawberry hues are really starting to pop!

This is an Odyssey--and it looks like it's going to be ready right after we're done with the Kushes. The bouquet of these ladies is just a delight to the senses--very tropical, with a nice whiff of pineapple with coconut undertones.....
garden_079_odd.jpg

My Island Skunks are really coming on strong, and may just beat my Juicy Fruit to the finish (I'd predicted the other way around).

Island Skunk:
garden_024_island_skunk.jpg

Juicy Fruit:
garden_056.jpg

The Juicy is my tallest plant. This next picture is taken standing beside it and reaching up over my head (I'm 5'5")--that top bud is easily 5' higher than the tips of my fingers, and around 30" long....

garden_021_stretch_juicy_fruit.jpg

Okay, end of my break. Back to trimming OGK....

:rollit:

Is there anything more beautiful than an outdoor grow coming into harvest?
Hats off to you IRISH!!!

OMFG!!!! We got raided today! Sheriff came out investigating a burglary next door and saw my trimmers in the commons tent trimming bud. I can tell you right now I just about wet myself when he said that trimming is considered "cultivating" marijuana, that it was a felony, and that all of my trimmers were guilty of that felony whether they had recommendations or not! He then wanted an inspection of the gardens to ascertain that we were in compliance with law, and seeing that we were adequately fenced and cross-fenced and locked with all recommendations posted on the gates, retired to his vehicle to call detective back up and question all of my trimmers.

As soon as he started walking to his car I called my attorney and was advised that trimming, whether with recommendation or not, was not "cultivation," and that I should advise my trimmers not to speak further with the officer(s). When I made it back to the commons, he had two of my trimmers separated outside and questioning them. I announced to all of my trimmers that they were covered under my attorney's wing and that they do not need to say another word to law enforcement until she is present to represent them.

This put a big kabosh on the grilling, but soon the detectives arrived, both driving a big white truck to haul off contraband with.

More later.....more stuff going on outside.....

Very trembly,
Irish

Okay. I'm finally settled so I can write this down while it's so vivid. Tehama County Sheriffs left about an hour ago. Or less. I honestly don't know, I'm so shaken.

My trimmers are okay and I'm okay.

No one was arrested.

Yet.

There is no question that I am in compliance with State Law. 6 plants each in three very separate gardens, all of them fenced in compliance with law, gated, locked, and displaying laminated scripts upon those locked gates. The nervous, nerdy officer that called them in was offensive in a clearly unmasked passive aggressive tone. When he stood there and told me that my dear trimmers were all felons, I was speechless. After a long, awkward silence I finally muttered, "please don't do this..." To which he replied sternly, "What are you telliing me to do?"

"I'm asking you not to do this."

"Why?"

"Because it would be morally and ethically wrong," I said.

And so I get more lecture on how they all were breaking the law, and I for employing them. For a moment I thought that I would toss this morning's waffles after hearing all of this, justknowing that I was going to jail for whatever he thought he could make stick, but held myself together as calm as I could muster.

Soon after silence was maintained per attorney's advice, the detectives came in two separate trucks. I can't remember his first name and they didn't exactly leave me business cards when they left. But anyway, I gave them a tour of the gardens. They were amazed at the enormous size of my girls, joked about what a bummer it would be if the raids they made up in the hills on 5000 plant grows had plants this size, casually asked me what I make on a grow like this....

"I don't make anything but medicine, officer."

"Yeah, but you must have some idea of its worth."

"Nope. I don't buy it, so how would I know?"

"Well, there's got to be a couple of pounds on those monsters."

"Maybe. I don't know. I've never grown them this large before."

"So a couple of pounds each would be right."

"I couldn't say...and I'm done saying until my attorney is present."

He was cool and casual. And very smart. He told me that he wasn't going to take my plants today. That he wasn't going to arrest anybody. He said it was the first time that he had been to a medicinal grow where the grower employed trimmers for their crops, citing that every one that they had investigated had trimmed their own. He then asked me why I grow, what condition do I have that I medicate with marijuana. I told him the truth; in 2001 I nearly died of systemic bacterial spinal meningitis which infected my entire nervous system. My hands and feet most affected, it hurts to walk or use my hands.

"So, you're saying that you employed these people to trim for you because of your disability, that it hurts your hands to trim and you have a larger crop than usual and can't do it alone?"

"Yes."

"Then I can understand why these people are here. But I have to warn you--you cannot let anyone else process your crop, as it is considered CULTIVATION in the eyes of the law, and no one but the person that grows it can trim, dry, or guard your crop."

Phew....more later....

Mindblown,
Irish

Dam girl. U handled it like a pro. Good job and plus reps to u. Keep us posted.

Frak! The urge to panic was just unreal! I live out here in the sticks for a reason--to be away from masses of people and all the drama. This place has been Sanctuary for 25 years, and now I no longer feel safe. It's bad enough to be worried about rippers. I get cased every year and this year a travel trailer just magically appeared in the orchard adjacent to my acreage, and they've been eyeing this place ever since. None of the neighbors know who they are...but anyway, according to these detectives, not only can I not employ anyone to trim for me, I cannot have anyone here to defend me or guard my crop, either.

I live alone.

"So you're telling me that I can't have someone help me or protect me from intruders, even though I live alone?"

"I'm sorry. It's the law."

U know there comes a time when we have to do what's best for our own comfort of living and peace of mind. The only bad thing about this situation that ain't cool is that they are aware of what's going on there so if u did get some1 to guard ur crop or do anything to protect urself outside of the confines of the laws they have a reason to get for something they couldn't b4 (if that makes any sense). I'd say get some big dogs. Please be careful. That trailer situation has me concerned. Didi U speak to the owners of the property they're squatting on?

U know there comes a time when we have to do what's best for our own comfort of living and peace of mind. The only bad thing about this situation that ain't cool is that they are aware of what's going on there so if u did get some1 to guard ur crop or do anything to protect urself outside of the confines of the laws they have a reason to get for something they couldn't b4 (if that makes any sense). I'd say get some big dogs. Please be careful. That trailer situation has me concerned. Didi U speak to the owners of the property they're squatting on?

*nodnod* Yes, that makes perfect sense and it was actually the second thing I've thought of. The first being the absolute fact that once they stepped into my garden of giants, they knew for a fact that I'll be over my limit once all the buds are in and cured. If I had had my usual presence of mind, I would have taken pics and videos of the detectives in my garden to give you a real feel of the size of it all. They said they'd never seen plants so huge (which means they haven't seen my neighbor's grow, which usually dwarfs my shrubbery by at least 5-6ft. *LOL) So I have no illusions that they will not be back, right when I've got it all in and cured.

They'll be back, that's a given. And I have to figure out what to do to get ready for it....

Then there's the trailer people. According to a neighbor that talked to the owner of the property, they're there to take down the trees to make room for a new orchard. So far, in the last two weeks, they've taken down one tree, a living tree, not dead like most in that orchard and that all in the first day of parking there--the one opening that gives their trailer full view of my road in and parking area in front of the gardens. They already have a bird's eye view of the back and side fences of the gardens. This makes surveillance a cakewalk, if that is what they are doing. I told the officers this and my concerns about them possibly burglarizing the gardens, but they fairly ignored it and changed the subject twice when I brought it up again.

How odd.

I'm pooped, and have no trimmers now, so that Trimpro knockoff is beginning to look pretty good. What a bummer....so much to think about tonight....

Beat to death,
Irish

U ever stop to consider the people in the trailer are law enforcement? Hey I live in a city, that's just how I think. Think about everything that's happened since they've gotten there. Then if u and ur neighbor speak of ur grows to each other. Let them know law enforcement has been there. They may be the real reason for all of the police attention in the 1st place. They may have just stumbled upon ur garden. That type of thing is pretty common around here. About the trip pro. I thought about what u said about how the bud looks from the trip pro. I was reading that other people go back over the buds by hand and make them more presentable. U may have 1/3 of the crew work the trimpro and the other half re manicure (shouldn't take nearly as long). Just a thought. Good luck and don't stress urself out. If u c it come prepare urself and when they come back, try not to appear too prepared, lol.

im sorry to hear about ur incident... it makes me mad to hear the cops are more interested in harassing you while u are in compliance with state law...when they should be worried about ur safety...somewhere in the line of history the politicians and cops forgot that we are the ones they are supposed to protect

U ever stop to consider the people in the trailer are law enforcement? Hey I live in a city, that's just how I think. Think about everything that's happened since they've gotten there. Then if u and ur neighbor speak of ur grows to each other. Let them know law enforcement has been there. They may be the real reason for all of the police attention in the 1st place. They may have just stumbled upon ur garden. That type of thing is pretty common around here. About the trip pro. I thought about what u said about how the bud looks from the trip pro. I was reading that other people go back over the buds by hand and make them more presentable. U may have 1/3 of the crew work the trimpro and the other half re manicure (shouldn't take nearly as long). Just a thought. Good luck and don't stress urself out. If u c it come prepare urself and when they come back, try not to appear too prepared, lol.

Yeah, I've thought of that. Briefly. But they've been really irresponsible having wild all-night parties, bonfires during red flag days (we can't burn anything until fire season is declared over), tearing up the neighboring orchards with their cars and quads--even broadsided a tree with a car while they were spinning donuts through the neighbor's orchard....I really think they're useless tweaks, not law enforcement.

The Trimpro. I don't think I have much choice now. My other OG Kush is so ripe it's on the verge of opening up and I have to get it done. Totally out of time on that one. I need to find an off-site secure area to trim and cure as the weight of just that one plant will put me over on quantity. I have easily 5 lbs hanging right now from the other one, and it's only trimmed down to the secondaries.

The only thing I can think of to save the excess of my garden is to form a collective of my friends with recommendations and HOPE that is enough. If the dispensaries and co-ops up here were smart, they'd want that excess--my bud is as good or better than any indoor bud out there--not let it go to the Sheriff's dept when they come calling next time around. IF I had a place to put it so it couldn't be confiscated I'd probably be safer, but I have no secure place for it to go besides right here with me.

im sorry to hear about ur incident... it makes me mad to hear the cops are more interested in harassing you while u are in compliance with state law...when they should be worried about ur safety...somewhere in the line of history the politicians and cops forgot that we are the ones they are supposed to protect

I'm in a gray area. I have the right number of plants to be in compliance, but they are so huge the weight of dried bud goes waaaaay over my allowance of 6 lbs. Anything over that, they can take. And I'm already there with 5 more plants yet to go....

Yeah, whatever happened to "Protect and Serve?" They have something about P.R.I.D.E. written on the side of the the patrol cars now.....

DAMN! I hope it works out for you. Still a lightly used Trim Pro on the PDX Craig's list for $500.

Thanks. But Portland is some 800 miles from me and I don't have the time or money to drive the 1600 mile round trip to go get it. Good price, though. Someone will be happy to get it. This knockoff machine is only $900. A lot for me because I'm not made out of money, but what choice do I have?

Back
Top Bottom