GrownManHollr's First Attempt — Hopeful Hempys

GrownManHollr

:welcome:
Hello! Thanks for checking out my journal! As the title suggests, this is my first attempt at growing. My goal is to learn something and hopefully end up with something worth smoking. I welcome any and all feedback.

Type of Grow: Hempy Buckets Indoors (cabinet within large closet with an a/c outlet)

I know this is really amateur set-up...considering a 3x3 tent.
GrowArea.JPG

Growing Media: Straight perlite (regular type - grow shop did not have extra chunky).

Size of Pots: 1 gallon buckets

Lighting: CFL (4 100 W equiv bulbs) and a 2 ft. T5 lamp.
Changing to 300 watt LED when new light arrives

Nutrients: GH Floranova Grow (300 ppm), SuperThrive, Hygrozyme

Feeding/watering schedule: daily so far (too much?)

Strain: Jack Herrer from seeds

Temp: 74-77 (air conditioned space)

Relative Humidity: unknown (fairly low as a/c runs all the time)

Germinated on May 22nd

Started in Rapid Rooters
Kept under a humidity dome for 9 days
Transplanted into 1 gallon hempy buckets On May 31st (last Monday). Started using distilled water at that time.

Ph: Nutrient solution as Ph'd at about 6

The seeds were soaked in a cup of lukewarm water overnight. 2 of the seeds sank immediately. The next day, those 2 seeds had popped while the other 3 had not and were floating again. I went ahead and planted each in a rapid rooter. Used a rooting tray with ¼ inch of tap water ph'd at 6.

All five of the seeds eventually sprouted, but the 3 laggards took longer and really struggled to open up the cotyledon or seed leaf (I had to look that up). In fact, I had to help 2 of them because it just they were going to fail if I didn't. Surprisingly, they all hung in there, but the 3 floaters have remained runty. In fact, 1 is a complete mutant.

After the plants had been in the rooting tray for a week, the 2 larger seedlings started losing some of their color. They had healthy roots, so I decided to move them into the hempy buckets and begin with some nutrients.
The plants seemed generally healthy for the first couple days in the hempy buckets. They weren't really growing much (if at all), but they weren't drooping and maintained the color they had before the move.

Did something pretty stupid when setting up the hempy buckets. I hosed out the perlite in a strainer using tap water that was not ph adjusted. My tap water is around 7 ph. I did soak the perlite in a ph adjusted nutrient solution after that, but, I think that a lot of that tap water was absorbed by the perlite and that has been pushing the ph in the buckets up higher than it should be and that has been locking out the nutes (maybe?).

During the past several days, the plants have started to go downhill. They lost more of their color (especially the older leaves). They basically have not been growing.

On Sunday, I tried giving them a weak solution of epsom salts. This actually seemed to restore some color, but, it was not a real fix.

Yesterday I finally thought to measure the ph of the runoff from the pots. It was over 6.5 (too high - as I understand it should be under 6).

I gave the plants more nutrient solution (600 ppm and ph'd at about 5.5) based on the theory that they needed more nitrogen and lower ph. This has perked up the number 2 plant. It seems pretty happy. Unfortunately, the number 1 plant is on the verge of collapse. The leaves are light green and puffy. The picture makes it look much better than it actually looks.
Plant122.JPG

Here is plant 2. It's the healthiest plant I have right now:
Plant225.JPG

And the number 3 plant looks even worse (yesterday, I actually tried a foliar application of a weak epsom salt solution because it looked so feeble — that was not useful - it probably made things worse). Looks worse in person.
Plant315.JPG

The number 4 plant looks quite healthy, but is tiny (I think it's a bansai!).
Plant411.JPG

The number 5 plant is crazy little mutant that refuses to die (I think it's an indica-parsley mix). I know I need to put it out of it's misery, but, I can't bring myself to do it.
Plant510.JPG

"Dad says I'm special!"

If anyone has any thoughts to share, I would really appreciate it.

Update: I decided to flush Plants numbers 1 and 3 thoroughly with distilled water ph'd at 5.5 (or so). I will hold off on feeding them any nutes for a couple of days. Hopefully, they will make it!

Again, thanks for visiting! :thanks:

I don't have much to offer in the way of advice since I'm not terribly experienced myself, but I do recommend that you get a thermometer w/ humidity gauge to put in there...being able to know the humidity level is important!

I like the little mutant. I'll be watching your journal, good luck!

Hey GrowingGirls! Thanks for stopping in! I appreciate your suggestion about a thermometer with humidity gauge. That's a great idea. I'll be sure to get one. (Got to figure out what the humidity should be and then how best to influence that.)

I did order a Milwaukee MW801 PH/EC/TDS meter the other night. Ph has been (I think) my biggest problem and the little test kit I have is driving me crazy. :loopy:

Good luck with your grow! I'll be checking out your journal. I do think that you've come to the right place to learn about growing. There are a lot of really knowledgeable people on this site who are great about sharing what they know.

Wow, It's been a very hectic week and I've done a poor job of keeping up with this.

Plants 1 through 5 are all still alive, however, 1 and 3 are still suffering. Plant 3 in particular is not doing well at all. I will probably be laying that one to rest soon if it doesn't turn around. Plant 1 is a little bit better, but not much. My plan is to cut off the really sick lower leaves and hopefully the plant will focus all of its efforts on new growth.
Plant1-11.JPG
Plant1-21.JPG

Plant2-1.JPG
Plant2-2.JPG

Plant316.JPG
Plant412.JPG
Plant511.JPG

I'm coming to painful conclusion that plant 2 is probably the only really viable one of the group. I am planing to germinate a few more seeds to try to get 1 or 2 more good plants. If plant 2 keeps going ok, I'll just let it veg while the others gain their footing, and then change them all to 12/12 at the same time.

I did follow GrowingGirls advice and purchase a temp/humidity meter.
Guage.JPG

It was a little warmer in the cabinet I'm using than I'd thought (~82 degrees) and drier than I'd hoped (about 35% humidity). I was surprised at the low humidity as I live in a humid climate, but I do run the A/C basically all the time and that must pull it down quite a bit. Ended up getting an ultrasonic humidifier at Walgreens which works really well in the space I have. Running this periodically, it is easy to keep the humidity in the 50-60% range.

The other night I decided to change the lighting plan from 24/0 to 18/6. I was hoping that giving these guys a little down time each day would help plants 1 and 3 recover. That hasn't been the case. The other reason for this change is that the existing door to the grow area leaks light quite badly and, since it's next to my bedroom, it was keeping me awake. Now we sleep on pretty much the same schedule.:ganjamon: That's a big reason that I'm considering a tent.

The tents under consideration are the GrowLab GL80 (2'7" x 2'7" x 5'11") or the Secret Jardin DARKROOM 80 32in. X 32 in. X 63 in.

A tent would require a ventilation system. I'm thinking maybe a 4" vortex fan with insulated ducting along with a hepa-filter on the intake side and possibly a carbon filter on the exhaust. It would be possible to vent into the attic in the grow area, but, since I'm really not venting so much to remove heat, I'm thinking that I'll just filter the air and blow it back into the room.

Since my primary goal with this grow is to learn something, I actually feel somewhat successful at this point. I've definitely learned some things. Ph and nutrient levels are not easy things to really pin down.

Moving forward with the seeds that I'll probably start germinating tomorrow, I'm considering DocBud's Osmocote Plus nutrient program (need to catch up on that thread). He was having good success with this timed-release fertilizer that's available at places like Ace Hardware for MUCH less than the Fox Farm or GH types. Since these nutrients are released at a very controlled rate, you are very unlikely to burn your plants. Anyway, it sounds like it could be really helpful for a complete nube like me.

:peace:

Howdy Grown,
Welcome to Hempy land ....By the looks of things, I think you are just a bit to worried and in a hurry at the same time. You might consider taking your babies and throwing them in some 20 oz Solo cups with a hole 2" up one side to really get them going, before throwing them into the 1 gallon buckets. Reason being is your babies roots are not anywhere close to reaching the bottom of those buckets...That's where the good stuff is :)

Easiest way to handle the Ph is to just always use Distilled or Reverse Osmosis treated water, IMO.

A couple of great threads for reference and info are below. Best of luck to ya !

DocBud's Hempy Grow

Slimm's Urban Hang Suite

No worrys! You're gonna be fine!

A couple things....plants that small take a long time for the roots to hit the bottom....a week or so. The plants will look like crap until that happens, but the explosive growth that occurs once they reach bottom will turn all that around.

Feed with each watering, and until you hit bottom water 2-4 times per day...especially if your RH is low.

Remember, you've got to feed them EVERYTHING they need....that means micronutes as well as macro. You're gonna want CalMag and perhaps something else.

PH 5.8 for veg, and raise it to 6.2 for bloom.
Please don't flush them....you'll starve 'em. Just water and feed 2-4 times daily with a 400ppm solution that has a 3-1-2 ratio of NPK.

Once the roots hit bottom you can go 2,3 4 days without watering until bloom, when they start drinking like crazy. Then, you may need to water daily or every other day.

Feed 'em each time.....don't exceed 1000ppm....watch for calcium deficiencies.....you're good to go.

Hey, Dig the set up man! I'm switching to Hempy Buckets my next time around my self. I have One clone In a 16oz container right now and am waiting on a seed to pop to make it a two plant grow.

Any ways I will be watching!

I really appreciate the helpful input...:thanks:

Howdy Grown,
Welcome to Hempy land ....By the looks of things, I think you are just a bit to worried and in a hurry at the same time. You might consider taking your babies and throwing them in some 20 oz Solo cups with a hole 2" up one side to really get them going, before throwing them into the 1 gallon buckets. Reason being is your babies roots are not anywhere close to reaching the bottom of those buckets...That's where the good stuff is :)

Easiest way to handle the Ph is to just always use Distilled or Reverse Osmosis treated water, IMO.

A couple of great threads for reference and info are below. Best of luck to ya !

DocBud's Hempy Grow

Slimm's Urban Hang Suite

You are definitely right! I was in a hurry and worried at the same time. The thing is that these plants are really not that young. They were sprouted a good while ago (several weeks) and there are roots that have made it into the res (a couple of them had long roots when I moved them into these buckets).

And thanks also for the suggested threads - I've spent a lot of time on DocBud's and need to spend more time on Simm's thread. It's clear that these guys know a lot!

No worrys! You're gonna be fine!

A couple things....plants that small take a long time for the roots to hit the bottom....a week or so. The plants will look like crap until that happens, but the explosive growth that occurs once they reach bottom will turn all that around.

Feed with each watering, and until you hit bottom water 2-4 times per day...especially if your RH is low.

Remember, you've got to feed them EVERYTHING they need....that means micronutes as well as macro. You're gonna want CalMag and perhaps something else.

PH 5.8 for veg, and raise it to 6.2 for bloom.
Please don't flush them....you'll starve 'em. Just water and feed 2-4 times daily with a 400ppm solution that has a 3-1-2 ratio of NPK.

Once the roots hit bottom you can go 2,3 4 days without watering until bloom, when they start drinking like crazy. Then, you may need to water daily or every other day.

Feed 'em each time.....don't exceed 1000ppm....watch for calcium deficiencies.....you're good to go.

Thanks very much for your comments Doc! The conclusion I've reached is that I've basically been drowning them. It's pretty clear that there is a reason why the suggested bucket size is 3 gallons and not 1 gallon. Also the #4 (chunky) perlite probably does a better job of letting air move down into the upper root area - the regular perlite is holding a lot more moisture than I thought it was. I pulled up plant number 3 (as it was almost certainly a goner) and found that it was just soaking wet in the intermediate area above the res where I thought that it would have gotten much drier between waterings.

I basically removed quite a bit of the perlite toward the top of each bucket and exposed the plant stem down to the rapid rooters. This seems to have had a positive effect. I even replanted #3 and while it is still alive - it's not growing. I plan to take some new pictures and get them posted here tonight.

As a first time grower, I think that I'm loving them to death. When I see one of the plants having any sort of problem, I feel like I've got to do something then and there! Much of the time, they would probably be better off if I just leave them alone. I've obviously given them a lot more water than they could possibly use.

A few days ago I transitioned over from the FloraNova to Osmocote Plus (you are a good salesman Doc!). I mixed it down into the perlite as much as I could without disturbing the roots. I have seen the excellent results that you've gotten with this product. This has made a great difference in the 3 (relatively) healthy plants. Within a couple of days the leaves turned a nice dark uniform color of green. I've been mixing a solution of epsom salts into the water they've been given over the past few days. I don't know if this is a viable substitute for CalMag (it's really just Magnesium Sulfate). The Grow Shop in my area is across town, but, when I have a chance to run over there, I'll pick up some CalMag.

Hey, Dig the set up man! I'm switching to Hempy Buckets my next time around my self. I have One clone In a 16oz container right now and am waiting on a seed to pop to make it a two plant grow.

Any ways I will be watching!

Thanks for tuning in ItsChrome! I'm going to do my best to keep these things going. If you've got a journal going, I'll be sure to check it out!

High GrownManHollr... let me know when you've had enough, ha, ha, ha!

I've got a hempy grow going that totally stalled. Doc's advice on the 2-4 feedings a day (he told me 2-3, but who's counting?!) was dead on. I water right on the root ball. My girls were starving. They're fat and sassy now.

I'm a noobie, too, but I didn't think you could over water a pure hempy. A 5.8 pH has really seemed to perk my kids up.

I've also been finding that the less I mess with them, the more they like me... but then, I am a dirty old reefer crazed man :smokin:

I'll start watering in one place, off to the side, over some OC+ prills as soon as it looks like they really hooked up with the rez.

I've got a few up to date pictures to share.

Here's one of the whole group
FamilyPortrait.JPG

Received the new LED on Wednesday. I couldn't wait to try it out so I've moved everybody out of the cabinet. I'm afraid that I would fry them if I tried to hang it in there.
NewLight1.JPG

This light is seriously bright! It's a GLH Spectra 300. I will say right now that this light is WAY too good for the likes of me. I had the mad compulsion to order it when I saw Irishboy's results with the 600 watt version. Just hope I can do it justice before too many more fine decent cannabis plants suffer the way these poor things have. I will get there!

Plant 2 is still ahead of the others.
Plant226.JPG

Here's a shot under the LED.
Plant2-3.JPG

And this thing is really bizarre. It's ALIVE!
Plant512.JPG

I'm kind of afraid of what this might grow into!

DocBud gave me some great advice.....

I'm quite certain that these guys (or gals hopefully!) have a pretty serious calcium deficiency.
Here's a shocking photo of plant 4
CalciumDeficit.JPG

And here is one of the example pictures for calcium deficiency in 420's excellent Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver
1134calcium-11.jpg

It's really great when there's a clear path to a solution! :slide:
The fantastic people and resources on this site make it the BEST place to be!
:thanks:

So...I'll be running to ye olde grow shop tomorrow for some CalMag. Obviously, epsom salts are (is?) not a viable substitute since all it supplies is the Mag (no Cal).

Results will be posted here as they develop.
So tune in..
Same Bat time. Same Bat channel. Break time..:smokin:

It's really great when there's a clear path to a solution! :slide: The fantastic people and resources on this site make it the BEST place to be!
:thanks:

You got it, Man...Sure is great to have the peeps and help that we do...

Now, you have a spiffy new LED, your babies are perked-up...and soon they will reach the bottom and take off !

We took a vote and plant 3 was voted off the island.
Plant318.JPG

Made a serious rookie mistake. On Saturday I mixed up a 2 gallon batch of nutrient solution (2 tsp hygrozyme, 1/2 tsp superthrive, 4 tsp calmag, 4 tsp floralicious bloom as supplement to the osmocote+) and pH'd it at 5.8. I also got a little aqarium pump and airstone to aireate the solution before giving it to the plants. I left that running in the bucket I'm using to store the nutrient solution. Gave all the plants more of that solution on Sunday and on Monday morning.

What I failed to do was check the pH of the solution after setting it originally on Saturday.

I was just playing around with my pH meter and measured the runoff from one of the plants on Monday night and found that the pH was over 7! Then I measured the pH of the remaining nutrient solution found that it was over 7! I really didn't know that the pH could creep up in stored solution like that.

This did nothing good for the plants. Even the newest leaves took on a puffy appearance. Made up a new solution at a 5.5 pH. Tried to drain out as much of the old solution as I could before adding the new.
Plant 1 is alive but not at all well. It really hasn't recovered from the pH thing (not to mention the severe malnourishment thing).
Plant126.JPG

Plant 4 has some healthy leaves, but it's not pushing out much new growth.
Plant413.JPG

It's never been much of a grower.

We're now thinking that plant 5 might have been switched at birth with a seed from another family.
Plant5-2.JPG

Not much of a family resemblance (might have been the electrician)...

It's an interesting looking plant (even if it is only about 1 1/2 inches tall)
Plant513.JPG

If anyone has any idea what this is, I'd love to hear it.

Plant 2 is actually doing okay (all things considered). The new growth up top is really nice and healthy. The leaves are really sleek and dark.
Plant228.JPG

I trimmed off some of the unhealthy lower leaves so that the new growth lower down will get some light. (There's tons of wild growth around all the nodes that have been trimmed off.)

If nothing else, I will have learned a few things before this grow is over. :reading420magazine:
3 more of the Jack H. seeds are soaking in the kitchen. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment.:smokin:

Damn man, that sucks! I really hope your ladies pull through! They are too young and too beautiful to die!!! Pull through little ladies, Pull through and fulfill your destiny!

I have been slacking on this journal! Sorry to be such a poor host.

You got it, Man...Sure is great to have the peeps and help that we do...

Now, you have a spiffy new LED, your babies are perked-up...and soon they will reach the bottom and take off !

Amen brother!

Timmy! :)

Can't wait to see how they do under the LED. Good job on getting that calcium deficiency under control.

Thanks for tuning in GrowingGirls. Hope that your issues are getting sorted out there!

If you're using Osmocote Plus you don't need-----and shouldn't----to supplement them with anything else. I've grown mine all the way into flower with just the Osmocote, some Hygrozyme and a bit of snowstorm, which has no NPK.

Don't over feed them! Just water in one spot.....lots of water to get the water table up above the hole, and let Osmocote do the rest. Don't wet down the whole top of the perlite, just an inch round spot, off to the side.

If you're using Osmocote Plus you don't need-----and shouldn't----to supplement them with anything else. I've grown mine all the way into flower with just the Osmocote, some Hygrozyme and a bit of snowstorm, which has no NPK.

Don't over feed them! Just water in one spot.....lots of water to get the water table up above the hole, and let Osmocote do the rest. Don't wet down the whole top of the perlite, just an inch round spot, off to the side.

Doc,
Thanks for checking in and for the great info. I will follow your advice! I'd rep you, but, can't do it again quite yet.:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom