DIY Stealth Cab, Hydro, LED & Multiple Strains in Small Space - Oh Boy!

Mr. Krip

Product Reviewer
420 Staff
Thanks again for all the great help & support to everyone here at :420:

I'm calling this my second grow, even though if you followed my first grow at all, you'll see it was a miserable failure and I really didn't grow anything! :oops:

I started off trying to grow G13 Labs Pineapple Express and Barney's Farm LS* from seed. Since I was having problems, a friend offered to give me a couple of clones to play with which turned out to be two Afghan Kush and two Royal Haze that were all mature and showing pre-flowers.

There's some good pics and an of this score here:

1st Time Stealth DIY Cabinet Grow- Hydro/T-5/LED Pineapple Express & Kannabia Special

And, you can see the cabinet and equipment I'm using here:

First Page of My Old Journal

In addition to the awsome donation, I do have one each of the PE & LS* germinating (the LS* just sprouted) and still have a mostly dead PE that I moved to soil to try to save (some of you may remember Pina!). :rip:

This morning, I put one each of the Haze & Kush into the waterfarms and LST'd the two plants.

The Kush only had basically a single stalk, so I just bent it over:

lst2_2011-01-22.jpg

The Haze got spread apart to open up the middle:

lst3_2011-01-22.jpg

Here they are together - Not much space!:

lst1_2011-01-22.jpg

Here's what the cab looks like. The two germinating are in back and not visible. Front left in the dixie cups are some peppers I have germinating and center dixie cup is the PE I moved to soil. I still need to get the other Kush & Haze, which are in grow cubes in front, into some form of hydro/soil:

group1_2011-01-22.jpg

Looks good krip...Yeah now that I see them in your water farm good call on the hempy.IMO I would get rid of the sponge and add hydroton along with removing the plastic around the cubes.And also right at the moment them ladies are under a lot of stress from transporting ect.I would just do a good flush with ro water and add some nutes that produce root davelopment and health.IMO I would not add a any flushing aditivelike h202,,, clearex,,, bug stuff or any thing like that until plants have adjusted to their new home.300-400 PPM sounds good.It also help to have a little humidity dome over your bubbler or a very light foilar feeding of cal mag.But most important look for mites.They will be little white specs under your leaves once infested its a bugger to clean them out.:peace:
PS also may I ask if you have any mylar to line your walls with.IMO this makes a big difference in directing light with cfls and led.

Thanks guys!

Turrtle, I have BOTH permaflect film and Panda Film but haven't lined the walls of the veg chamber. I did put permaflect up in the flower chamber. I'll be using the panda film to make the doors light-proof but haven't hung it yet. That white mylar is pretty reflective (admittedly, I don't know the %) so figured I wouldn't really need it in veg.

UPATE: I got myself organized today around my new situation. I put the other Haze & Kush into hempys and LST'd the kush.

Here's Hempy #1:

hempy12.jpg

Here's the other hempy with the LST:

hempy22.jpg

And, I don't see any spider mites (looked with a jewelers loupe) but just to be safe, I picked up some of this "Fungicide3" at Lowes today. It's made by Schultz and looks pretty good:

fun1.jpg

Check it out:

fun2.jpg

And, it's OMRI listed for use with fruits, vegetables, and of course, herbs!

fun3.jpg

:rollit:
Sorry for not chiming in earlier, I was having problems getting on the site. Looks good Bro, & I am sure the flushing you did will help. What PPM are you going to run them at & are you on 18/6 or are you going to flower them right away?
I would get those other 2 into something if it nothing other then a pot with Hydroton in it & pull them out of the plastic so you can flush them by pouring weak nute solution through media to wash away salts. I also agree you need some more reflectivity to walls. Cheap fix, sporting goods store or drug store or good hardware store has emergency blankets, they're cheap, highly reflective & about the right size for you to utilize for that cabinet. Oh by the by Clearex is not a bug anything it is a medium flushing agent made from sugars & such. But when I use mine up, as I stated before, I will use weak nute solution flushes, suppose to be just as effective. I do wish you had some AZAMAX, which by the way is OMRI certified, you can run it in the res & make a foliar out of it. SNS 217 is also OMRI certified, as is Safer pest products & Also Garden Safe Insecticidal Soap By Schultzs. Anything that is safe for day of harvest of tomatoes & such. Talk to ya soon, Happy Grows ~H~

PS- I see you got the Schultzs Product, it will work!! I forgot you had the film too, my bad!!

Buckets look good, you got it from here! Just be watching & only answering when you ask! Let's see what you have learned grasshopper!!

Watching in the wings ~H~

H, Thanks Bro. I guess you missed the hempy's in your first post? :)

Right now I have them on 20/4 and will give them a week or two to recover and for me to work the LST a little then put them into flower.

Once I do that, I'll make all you guys happy and put the permaflect film up in the Veg chamber, too. :Rasta:

I'm going to put the LS* that's sprouted and the other PE (when she sprouts) into mini-hempys since I'll have no room for the cloner, plus the two big hempys, plust the two waterfarms.

Once I put the two in the waterfarms into flower, the waterfarms will be used only for the two plants I will be flowering, and pretty much reside in the flower chamber. The hempy's will have the mothers. I think I can fit four mothers plus a cloner (but it wil be tight!) in the veg chamber. I believe the mothers won't need as much light, so the cloner will get the majority. After 3-4 weeks into flower, I'll take the next set of clones from the mothers of the two strains I want to harvest next. This way, every 8-10 weeks or so, I can harvest two different strains and alternate to two different strains on the next harvest. I just need to be able to keep the mothers small.

You have a good plan, I see no issues in your perpetual grow plans. I would refer you back to that article on light, there are no gains over 18/6 cycle & helps on electrical cost, just a thought. And yes you will make me happy when you get the walls up! Pinching might help you keep them less verticle, not topping but pinching. Goggle it if you are not familar with it! Bunch of videos on youtube on how to do it to! Happy Grows K~, ~H~

H, I had read that the plants in veg do not need a "rest" time, and that lights-out doesn't help them at all, and more light would help them develop faster. However, since I can't believe everything I read, on your recommendation, I cut back to 18/6! :grinjoint:

Turrtle, thanks, I'm shizzling right now! Come by and I'll roll another nizzle! :bongrip:

Turrtle....Oooops..sorry...I missed your question. I actually got the hempy's at the local $store today looking for something small. Each hempy is actually made up of two different containers (I'll post some pic's later). The inner container is really the hempy and is a solid green square planter that I drilled a 7/8" hole in towards the bottom then duct taped some mesh screening over the hole. They just happen to fit into the yellow containers nicely, but leave enough of a gap for the water to run-off, but the yellow containers are basically nothing more than a fancy drip tray.

Thank you, I feel much better & believe me your plants will thank you! I agree those are a slick little Hempy Buckets you got there! Well sir, believe me it is going to be boring for a while if there is no issues & all stays good!! They will just nurse back to health & you'll be on your merry way, my friend!! Probably take good week or two before real signs of regeneration, I truely believe you are on your way.:bravo: I will now contemplate life with this Blueberry Azure I got from my local Club; Damn if I did not find what appears to be a viable seed in it, some really dank smell, super sweet fruity tasting, couchlocking shit!! Maybe I will try to germinate. Happy Grows ~H~

:reading420magazine:
Found the best quote for the "organics" thing I ever read or could write myself about it!

" This is my main concern. I'm not even comfortable with some of the stuff in the FF line. Lots of reading ahead for me.

As my friends though, I ask that you keep an eye on me,lol...I don't want to become a granola bearded mountain dwelling weirdo,......

"Yea, You must align your chi before entering the grow area. Once I'm there, I feed them a pinch of mouse poop, 3 strands of deer hair, some elk sperm (bitch to get) and then I blow sifted ash across all the fan leaves."

With buds the side of fire extinguishers,lmao

Yea,...regardless how big the buds EVER get, don't let me become that guy...." :rofl:

:reading420magazine:
Found the best quote for the "organics" thing I ever read or could write myself about it!

" This is my main concern. I'm not even comfortable with some of the stuff in the FF line. Lots of reading ahead for me.

As my friends though, I ask that you keep an eye on me,lol...I don't want to become a granola bearded mountain dwelling weirdo,......

"Yea, You must align your chi before entering the grow area. Once I'm there, I feed them a pinch of mouse poop, 3 strands of deer hair, some elk sperm (bitch to get) and then I blow sifted ash across all the fan leaves."

With buds the side of fire extinguishers,lmao

Yea,...regardless how big the buds EVER get, don't let me become that guy...." :rofl:

LMAO! :biglaugh:

I was told that the best way to get elk sperm was to go into town and blow a few bucks, but I don't know? :laugh:

:rofl: man thats good stuff.
chrgrsfan:As for the fox farm it is not 100% organic.It is organic based.FF works best if you use there products togeather as stated on there feeding chart.I use fox farm only because its local and its what I am familiar with but it does work pretty well for potted plants.It is a little hard to manage in hydro as there are some quanos and castings processed to a pretty thick tea and needs to be filtered.I use hydrozyme to keep things in check.FF ingredients are all durived from earth friendly and organic material(sea weed castings mex bat quano seabird quano).There are strict regulations on organics still disputable but I think it has to do with food and high risk of e.coli.For hydro most people just use gh nute in there hydro with h202.:peace:

Guys, sorry for not posting any new pics today, but been busy spending quality time with the girls and didn't notice my camera needs to be charged.

The LS* sprouted but frankly, already looks like it's having problems. There's a dark spot on one of the cotyledons (which haven't even spread yet). It's too early to tell, but would have likeda better start, especially on the LS* since I'm down to my last seed. I'm hoping she makes it at least long enough to get some clones!

The PE I had in rockwool is poking above ground, but hasn't fully sprouted yet. I'm sure in the next 48 hours I'll have another PE and since this was the first seed started in rockwool instead of the STG, I'm hoping I'll have better luck.

As for the four Kush/Haze plants that were donated, it's still too early to tell if they're getting better or worse. I did spend quite a bit of time cutting off all the brown tips. Basically, if it was no longer capable of photosynthesis, I tried to remove it to make sure light got to the spots that could photosynthesize. I'm hoping it will also help me tell if they're getting better or worse.

I also adjusted the LST's. The one kush in the waterfarm looks like it's already starting to fill in a little. I can't see any difference yet on the others, but if the plants pull through and LST works like I think it should, I should have some nice bushy plants with lots of bud sites. :morenutes:

I'll keep you all posted!

Krip, I followed you over from the last journal to check out this next unexpected phase of your grow experience. You've got a lot more to work with and practice on now that you have some mature plants. First I wanted to mention the perlite you put on top of the rockwool- please make sure it contains only perlite and it's not the Miracle Gro version that comes with fertilizer mixed in. Another thought I had was to plan to take a cutting or two from each of your adult plants before you start the 12/12. This would give you an opportunity to start working on your cloning skills and provide options for future crops. Glad you were able to get a jump start on your new hobby. I'll look forward to following this new journal. :goodluck:

UPDATE: The PE started in Rockwool had fully sprouted this morning and I must say that it appears to be the healthiest and most normal looking seedling yet. It's grown much taller already on day 1 than the last PE was after 10 days and has a tiny set of first leaves. I'm definately NOT using the STG cubes to germinate EVER again!

Here's the new baby PE:

2011-01-24_PE_01.jpg

The LS* that germinated a couple of days ago (in STG cube) doesn't look right. There's a dark colored deformity on one of the cotyledons right where it meets the stem and still no first leaves.

It's tough to see the deformiity, but here's some pics:

2011-01-24_Lucy_01.jpg

2011-01-24_Lucy_02.jpg

As for the other girls, so far, so good. I have been seeing PPM's and PH still rising and trying to keep that under control, but they all look good. Not much of a change for the two in hempys yet.

Here's the Hempy Haze:

2011-01-24_RH2_01.jpg

And here's the Hempy Kush which is LST'd:

2011-01-24_AK2_01.jpg

I LST'd the sh!t out of the two in the waterfarms.

The RH still looks pretty "bare" in the middle, but I'm excited to see the way it fills in because it's opened up so nicely:

2011-01-24_RH1_01.jpg

Finally, the plant I think will be my favorite, at least until I can get an LS* healthy...The Kush in the waterfarm. I'm working on LSTing her in a spiral around the waterfarm. She is already starting to fill in and you can see her cola already pointing back up to the light. She appears to be liking her new home:

2011-01-24_AK1_01.jpg

More updates coming as they happen & thanks to all!

Back
Top Bottom