My First Indoor Grow!

surf420

pretty pumped for my first grow! have found loads of solid information from cruising around the site for the last month or so, so thank you all! started germing last night, so hopefully will be popping into some soil over the next couple days and moving into the tent, cant wait! went paper towel method, is this what everyone typically does? also i know theres a great debate over this but root tip up or root tip down ? I'll keep you guys posted and get some pics up when things start rolling! any help and advice along the way will be greatly appreciated :ganjamon:

What strain is it? 3 different going. germinating 4 of some pretty good bagseed, 4 of a jack herer mix, and 10 of an unknown supposedly feminized skunky sativa

Is it in Veg or Flower stage? germinating now

Indoor or outdoor? indoor grow tent, 3x3x5.5

Soil or Hydro? pro mix soil

If soil... what is in your mix? castings, perlite, guana, plant success

If soil... What size pot? starting small, will end up in either 3 or 5 gallon buckets

Size of light?
seedlings-65watt CFL, 2 t5's, also 22 watt cfl.
will move under 600 watt MH eventually then switch to HPS for flower

Is it aircooled? it will be

Temp of Room/cab? outside room 55-65, inside room 65-75. heating pad for the youngsters

RH of Room/cab? between 35-45

Any Pests ? none!

How often are you watering? plan on letting the plants decide on this one

Type and strength of ferts used? full set of general hydro nutes

tent is all set up and ready to go. will 3 household CFL's along with a 2 2' T5's be enough to start about 10 seedlings. my 65watt cfl is having some wiring issues. just looking to start the plants off under this, will move my 600 watt MH inside in about 2 weeks

tent14.JPG

the vibes seem to be working, of my 18 seeds germinated i now have 15 healthy looking little babies! hoping to get 9 ladies for flower eventually. got them under a couple CFL's and t5's now, was wondering when you guys think i should switch to my 600w MH ?

i'll toss some pics up on sunday, hopefully theres some good growth between now and then

Anything below 50 will defiantly start slowing your plant growth. From what I have read 55 is ok however I have also read a strange statistic that more males develop in cold temperatures. Just my 2 cents. I try to keep mine within a 15 degrees difference between night and day.

I'd really try not to let it get below 65 in there at lights out, if you cant do that, I would suggest running them 24/0. Thats too cold, it will take you a long time to grow those plants if its getting down into the 50's every night. By the time they start livening up it'll be lights out again.

well a quick photo update

heres everyone! all the sprouts are about 3 inches tall, thinkin there may be a little stretching all the lights are about 6-8 inches away. i dont mind a little stretch, about 5'6 worth of height in the tent

SM3.JPG

heres one of the healthiest looking ones, got about 6 that look exactly like this, can kind of see the next set of real leaves coming in ;)

SM21.JPG

and some purple stems! all of the "feminized" seeds a buddy hooked me up with have them, pretty stoked

SM11.JPG

as always if you guys notice anything or have a word of advice its always welcome! looking ok for 3 days?
:peacetwo:

I'd really try not to let it get below 65 in there at lights out, if you cant do that, I would suggest running them 24/0. Thats too cold, it will take you a long time to grow those plants if its getting down into the 50's every night. By the time they start livening up it'll be lights out again.

also i took your advice man, running 24/0 for a little while keeping temps up and hoping for some serious growth. how long do you think i should run like this? when is it ok to switch over to my 600w MH?

I would wait until you get to the point in veg where you are feeding full dose nutes before running the 600. As far as 24/0, you can run it indefinitely as long as you are still vegging the plants. I would keep them either on 24/0 or 18/6 (lights on/lights off) and not keep switching back and forth. I dont think it will matter that much going back and forth but its just another thing slowing them down by causing them stress, the schedule doesnt cause it but switching the light cycle back and forth will. Once or twice isnt going to do anything but changing back and forth is no good.

You will get faster growth by 24/0 but its a break on the E bill as well as the plants could get a break on 18/6. If you are looking to get through veg as fast as possible, go with 24/0. If you are raising mother plants, go with 18/6, thats what I would do anyway. Its entirely your call, it would be good if some others could add to the reasons for different light schedules.

Like I said about the light, I would wait until you are fully in veg and on a full dose of nutes which you should only be on a 1/4 dose or so at the moment i am thinking by looking at the pics, at this point I dont think they'd be able to handle it making it a waste to run. You would have to have it at the ceiling probably and it would still probably be too much. For now bring them up to within a foot or so of the flouros and they'll stop stretching. Stretching later on is fine but I would try to avoid that now, it means they are trying to get enough light to photosynthesize and they are wasting energy stretching trying to get close enough to the light. Make it as easy as you can for them.

Also the purple stems dont mean anything, or anything good anyhow. I thought the same thing when mine sprouted.

I am not familiar with that soil you are using, I dont know if its fertilized or not but be careful giving them anymore ferts if the soil is fertilized... If it is and you have them in potting mix, you should be fine for a few weeks with just watering after you transplant into the soil/fert.

quick update, all the youngin's are 10 days old today. should be transplanting by the weekend and moving under the 600w MH at maybe half power sometime next week i think. how do you guys think theyre looking? i feel like they may be a little slow on growth, due to lighting and maybe temp flucuation. "daytime" is about 76-78 and "night" usually gets down about 60. other than that everyone looks happy and healthy! thoughts/comments/help/insults always welcome! :grinjoint:

IMG00020-20110307-1701.jpg

IMG00021-20110307-1701.jpg

IMG00022-20110307-1702.jpg

Back
Top Bottom