First Grow Northern Light Auto - Fem - Help Needed

filekv5

Hi, this is my first grow. What I have here is Northern Light (fem/auto) from nirvana. I planted 3 seeds only 1 came up to life, guess ill have to e-mail them.. Ok so My light is Blackstar240W actual draw of it is 160W, I'm really happy with the light. I water my plant with Distilated Water( crystal lake), my medium is Fox Farm Ocean Forest. Later on I plan to transfer them to my DWC. Fertilizer I will be using GH micro and bloom (lucas formula). My light schedule is 18/6. there is a small fan inside, it used to oscillate, but it broke(ebay ) The temps during day go from 80F-87F at night they stay like 78-80F.

this is my light:

this how my grow room looks like, I know its small but i'm not planing on growing much:

day 3:

day 7:

day 11:

day 14:

day 18:

day 20(ok so here I got some problems, If you can see there are some red spots and drying at the tips. My guess is that its a start of deficiency since I didn't use a fertilizer yet):

I went and added 1.5mil of bloom and 3ml of micro to half a gallon of water. Its a 25% of recommended strength. Hope this will help. I would be really happy If you guys would give me you're opinions and tips.

Day21:
OK, so I don't expect to see too much change so quick since I added the fertilizer just a few hours ago. Anyway I took more pictures of affected areas, Sorry if they are a bit crappy, its my phone camera:

Re: First grow Northern Light auto (fem) help needed

Well i wish i could help but you are posting the thumbnail pictures of the picture itself. they are too small and don't Expand.

IF you need help uploading your photos to this site Click Here For help

That's fine. No one's perfect :thumb: Welcome to:420:

I was a new member not too long ago so I try to help the new members. By no means am I a pro but if i can help, I try

From what I see it looks like you have a N and a K deficiency. I would try feeding a weak mix(1/4 strength) to boost that. Make sure to watch it over the next few days and keep track of new brown spots or brown spots that are repairing themselves.:thumb:

If those spots on the leaves showed up after feeding. it might be a nutrient burn. just watch your plants for the next few days.

At this stage it is safe to give it full strength feed. It looks like you are "under" feeding it. Might also be time to start considering a transplant into a larger pot. Sometimes a plant in the early stages of being root bound will exhibit symptoms similar to yours.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

filekv5 said:
hmm... I'm just trying to avoid the nute burn, that's why I was going really easy with the fertilizer. Also in about 2 weeks I'm going to transplant the plant to DWC 5 gal bucket

Why two weeks? I'd do it now. If the plant needs the space, making it stress for two arbitrary weeks longer won't accomplish anything. ;)

If you do have some soil issues going on, often times a transplant will go a long way to resolving it. Do you have a pH meter?

What do you get when you test the runoff?

You just saved my plants life. I transplanted it to the bigger pot and I saw that roots ware almost trying to run away from that small pot. My ph runoff is at 6.5 but a more accurate meter is on its way, It is also the reason why I'm waiting with the transplant to DWC (need to have everything ready, it will take me like 1 more week to get everything i need). Thanh's so much:

filekv5 said:
You just saved my plants life. I transplanted it to the bigger pot and I saw that roots ware almost trying to run away from that small pot. My ph runoff is at 6.5 but a more accurate meter is on its way, It is also the reason why I'm waiting with the transplant to DWC (need to have everything ready, it will take me like 1 more week to get everything i need). Thanh's so much

Excellent! :thumb:

I'm SO GLAD I saw your thread then! :). That photo shows the classic signs of a plant that is/was root bound. (leaves that curve DOWNWARD with the leaf tips pointing straight down at the ground. I call it "THE PALM TREE LOOK". Normally, the leaf tips will be pointing straight out at the walls of your growing area or up towards the lights most of the time)

The plant will be SO MUCH happier in that nice roomy pot! You might want to mix up some B1 transplant solution with water just to prevent any serious wilting from transplant shock. I swear by Liquinox B1! It's cheap and effective! I go through bottles of the stuff at peak season when I am doing a lot of cloning. In addition to preventing transplant shock, B1 is a gentle nute that all young plants can always make use of! :)

6.5 pH is in the Goldie Locks Zone for soil, (just right) so your issues were probably related to the roots being cramped for space and not so much with what you were or were not feeding it.

What brand of pH meter did you get?

What is DWC?

P.S. I just transplanted a couple of NL clones today out of my cloner! :thumb: Got photos of the process in my journal. Check it out if you get a free couple of minutes. It's on the last page of course. ;)

I will check out my hydro store for the B1 today, the plant had a little stress in the leaf parts where it got the damage, I'll cut the damaged parts out. Overall the plant looks like it will recover and be fine.

The PH meter that I bought and it's on my way is OAKLON Eco Tester PH1, I did some research on it and it looks pretty good. My hydro store sells it for 85$ and I got it on the web for like 55 :D

Now DWC is also called bubble bucket, it is basically a bucket with water and an air stone at the bottom connected to the air pump. What it does it delivers nutrients and air to the roots very effectively, Ive seen people grow amazing plants really fast and easy.

I've read you're journal and it blew my mind, everything looks great, it just a shame with those clones.. but everything looks awesome. You got some really nice yields

here is the damage that was done due to root bound,possible deficiencies, my transplanting and a slight over water due to transplant:

And I decided to cut the yellow parts out, figured if I had frost damage to my fingers and they ware dead then it would just make more damage to me. so :

I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have done that. It isn't too great for the overall health of the plant. Plants have the ability to repair themselves but with them cut like they its pretty stressful on them.

If I'm wrong someone should correct me .

Thanks man! I'm glad that you found my journal helpful and interesting! :thumb.

As for cutting off yellowing or damaged leaves...

In this case I think you will be fine, but as a rule I would leave them on the plant unless they are totally dead. The plant can still pull nutrients back from these leaves as needed.

The only time you don't want to follow that rule is during flowering when often times those big fan leaves are blocking light from reaching the flower tops underneath. The plant will often shut these down in order to open up the canopy for the buds. You are basically doing the plant a favor by removing them early.

Good deal on the meter. I use an HM DIGITAL DM-200. I actually own two of these. They sell for about the same price as the one you bought, but it is hard to get one for much less than retail. They are popular with the pros, and command higher prices as a result.

If for some reason your meter doesn't work out for you, you might want to consider picking up a DM-200. Their auto-calibration system is great! :thumb:

Well I just removed the dead part's of the leaf, also I disinfected the blade :)) I always try to work in gloves as well.

The PH meter should be here next week on Wednesday, but I will be working so won't transplant to DWC (aeroponics) system till Saturday.

So far the plant looks like its recovering, I'm expecting a short stunt of growth for few days. Ill update in a few days
:thumb:

OK, so it looks like my plant got through it and is recovering :morenutes:, I also got my PH meter :yahoo:. I added 2 short rider seedlings to my grow, they will go to the DWC bucket in like 2 weeks. I decided Ill finish NL in the soil. Ok, enough talking, Pictures will say it better :))

This is the PH meter and some cheep ebay TDS meter(It was cheep but works good) :

Also, one of the reasons that I know that the plant is recovering. It smells, and it is stronger than I would expect in veg. So I went and got some ONA gel. Damn this stuff works really well:

Now like you can see I went to play with my meters :))
If anyone knows is that PPM is ok, let me know. I'm using Lucas formula so I did 5ml micro - 10ml bloom. They say it is the right amount, just need to make sure. The ppm is 510 and PH 6.6:

I have added 2 short riders, originally I was planing to do 1 nl and 1 sr but had some germ issues. Now it will be 2 sr DWC and 1 nl soil:

My grow tent looks like this, I know its a bit crowded, I might get out of the tent and just go without it in that closet part:

OK, So it is day 25/26 for my main plant NL it still have some yellowing at the leafs but it stopped and is not progressing anymore:

And that's all so far, any comments and concerns are well appreciated.. thanks
:yummy:

Looking alot better :thumb: I need to get a Ph meter. Ive been using the liquid tester for the time being. Needed to save some funds for other stuff but it works well for me at least for now.

Cant wait to see everything set up and up and running :thumb: Looking good

I need to get a Ph meter. Ive been using the liquid tester for the time being. Needed to save some funds for other stuff but it works well for me at least for now.

I know how it is, money can be tough since there is so many things needed in the grow room.
First I was testing with the ph kit that left after my fish tank, then I bought this 3 way meter for light soil moisture and ph - it is ok but i needed a more accurate one.

Now I am happy with the one I bought from ebay. It was like 55$ but I'm sure it will pay back.

When you get the chance get a meter, it makes life a whole lot easier :)

Congrats on your new meter! I like the button layout! Having the HOLD button at the top will come in handy if you need to pH something inside a can where you can't see the display and will need to push HOLD and remove to read the pH! :thumb:

OK, so yesterday I fed her, and today it looks like she likes it :)

So Fed on 26 and today is day 27 she is 4in tall and proud :yummy:

Sorry I'm writing all that here but this is any form of journal I have and my memory is very very weak, especially with the dates..

Back
Top Bottom