OK, now that I have Grow 6.0 well under way and have a minute to get the tent up and going, it's time to start yet another journal!
This one will be Grow 6.5 (since I am already a week past the start of 6.0, I decided to call it 6.5, no other reason).
I will be growing in my 4x4 Secret Jardin tent, using 3.4 gal airpots filled with coco-perlite.
For nutrients, I will be using the Blue Planet lines. Their 2-part, 3-part and Organic!
I have chosen two heavy yielders (according to the seedbank). I have four each of Heavy Duty Fruity and The Ultimate. I may add a few smaller pots in there with the extra clones I have, but these eight plants make up the basis of the tests.
For lighting, I have two each of the Diamond Series 200w and 300w for a total of 1,000 watts of Advanced LED intensity going on.
I will be getting my CO2 monitor/controller on Monday to keep the CO2 levels where they need to be. I also now have a temp-controlled fan controller. I have been using the basic cycle timer in the past, but had no idea of what my actual PPMs were, so now we'll know.
I am starting them off in the veg-mode for the first few weeks. I may also try the GLR routine to keep the electric costs down.
The plan is to veg these out and LST them until I have a complete circle around the top of each air pot, then I will FIM the tops once, wait another week and then flip them into flower.
So, what am I trying to accomplish with these tests?
1) Is it possible to get 1gpw with an LED
2) Is the expense in time and electricity worth the extra veg time (what is my yield per grow day?)
3) How well will the Air Pots work with coco/perlite as the medium
4) Which of the BPN lines will provide the best yield and quality (in this type of setup)
I started off by lining my Air Pots with some coco-tek 1/4 inch matting. I did this to prevent the media from falling out the bottom. It will allow the roots to penetrate and still air-prune:
I used the trim pieces of the mat to create "wicks" that will draw nutrients from the catch pan, this may or may not work. But, if it does work, will allow me to place an inch of R/O water in the pan if I have to leave for a few days. At least it will keep the girls form going thirsty. I do intend to remove the excess nutes after watering so that I don't get "cross-contamination" from the other nutes.